An auto-x virgin no more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An auto-x virgin no more

Today was my first ever autocross, and a practice yesterday. My practice runs were AWFUL, out of 5, I only did 2 of them right. I got lost, missed turns, killed dozens of cones, but I did really good today. I was overclassed by accident into DSP, so I'll probably be running in STX next time. We did a few fun runs after the event today, and I got better times in the 3 of those than I did all day. I pushed it way harder during the fun runs, and got to know my limits a little bit more, and how hard I really could go into some sections. It's a pretty cool feeling to put all the suspension and brake mods I've done to the test, and really give the S03's a good flogging. Anyway, here's a few pics from my shitty camera:

A few of the cars at about 8:00 am:

Really nice E36 M3:

Sick AE86 coupe, Legacy Turbo with an STi engine swap, and the E36 M3 with K1's:

Snow delay about mid-day for about half an hour:

To the left is an 800 hp supercharged Viper GTS. Slow as SHIT in the turns, but makes up for it in the straights. Usually has the best times in its class:

Me in action:

I wanted to do this when i had my Firebird still. But i thought i'd get confused like hell with all of the cones out there.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Car looks great, man. Early arches are where its at.
      S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
      What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
        I wanted to do this when i had my Firebird still. But i thought i'd get confused like hell with all of the cones out there.
        You do at first, but it passes quickly. Walking the course helps a lot.

Comment

Glad to see more r3vers actually driving their cars... Now get some sways, body roll central..
          :: PNW Crew ::
          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

great! now keep it up - car looks good out there too. :)
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
              Glad to see more r3vers actually driving their cars... Now get some sways, body roll central..
              Whaaaa? I don't have that much, way less than most of the cars out there.

Nando, I'm definitely sticking with it. I might actually start building my car more toward auto-x duty. I think I'm addicted, I had a blast.

Comment

I would get your novice season out of the way first - your car is setup well enough right now, meaning decently maintained and refreshed suspension.

next thing you know you'll be running hoosier slicks and fender flares :p
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Very nice Josh. I hope to get out there this summer and try it out for the first time.

Comment

TIGHT! looks like lots of fun! what's up with that body roll, lol! no rear sway bars, huh?

check out Einstein57's first time auto-xing. I took him with me and his car is no longer an auto-x virgin as well, haha

Comment

addicting isn't it???

Best advice is to leave the car as is, and do a search for evolution autox schools. They are a bit expensive but you get tons of seat time AND instruction from national caliber drivers, usually former or current national champs. And without a doubt YOU WILL BE FASTER AFTER AN EVO SCHOOL
                      sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74 View Post
                        addicting isn't it???

Best advice is to leave the car as is, and do a search for evolution autox schools. They are a bit expensive but you get tons of seat time AND instruction from national caliber drivers, usually former or current national champs. And without a doubt YOU WILL BE FASTER AFTER AN EVO SCHOOL
                        I CONCUR! i was suppose to do it last year, but didn't have enough $$$, so I think I'm going to do that this year at Willow Springs Raceway. Everyone I know that took EVO school had gained a lot of knowledge with handling their rides, setup, etc...

Comment

Was this today?! SNOW?! Wtf?! Dude, I got sunburned, like bad, from being out in the sun yesterday and today.
                          My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                          There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Snow delay at an auto-x? That is a new one.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                              Was this today?! SNOW?! Wtf?! Dude, I got sunburned, like bad, from being out in the sun yesterday and today.
                              the PNW has been unseasonably cool - we had a light dusting of snow earlier, but it's been warm and springlike all afternoon. wierd..
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X