Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I do with my car? (Due for smog and it will fail)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do with my car? (Due for smog and it will fail)

So my '87 325IS is up for smog again. I'm certain it will fail as it barely passed last year, and I've been pouring money into it for the past 5 years to keep it on the road. I think I know what the problem is, but I just can't reasonably continue to spend time/money on it when I have other working vehicles. It's just a hard decision to make because I have quite a bit of sentimental value in the vehicle.

As far as options go, I was thinking of taking advantage of California's buy-back program where they will pay up to $1000 to get your gross polluting vehicle off the road. I haven't heard many details on this program other than a minimum of 18 months vehicle ownership and recently failing smog. Does anyone know any other details about this program? I'd like to take a few things out of the car before it gets crushed, but not sure how much they will let me remove from the vehicle.

My other option is to attempt to sell the car... but I'm not sure if I could even get $1000 for it. It's fairly undesirable. It's got almost 200K miles, it's bronzit, and has an automatic transmission. The paint is horrible on it and was in a front-end collision last year. It drives mostly fine, but definitely not desirable.

I don't think parting-out is an option for me since I just don't have the time/space for that. I've got other projects going on simultaneously and all my spare parking spots are used up.

So what do you guys think?
    Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
    '99 M3 / Track Car
    '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
    '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

If the state will give you more than you can sell it for, I'd say go for it. I am sure you can take almost anything off as long as it is able to drive to wherever you need to deliver it.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
      If the state will give you more than you can sell it for, I'd say go for it. I am sure you can take almost anything off as long as it is able to drive to wherever you need to deliver it.
      That's kinda what I was thinking. I hope that's the case. I'm planning to chat with the smog guy down the street about the process.

Looks like I posted this thread in the wrong section... mods feel free to move it to general discussion.
      Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

post some pictures or some more info, you might be able to sell it. You are in a good area to sell. I might even be interested.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

No, don't crush it!
          My Feedback

Comment

The Ca buy back is a graduated system - the oldest (50's) gets the most, the $1000 - an 80's car sells at buy back for $200-$250. Might want to reconsider & maybe part it out for a higher net.
            [I

Comment

as an e30 owner, i would say, just get rid of it to an e30 fanatic who may take care of it. however, when making an entrepreneurial decision, I say let the state have it and take $1000 for it if you can because based on how you have described your e30's current status, it doesn't sounds like you can get $1000 for it, :D. GL

Comment

pm sent
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lifestyle101 View Post
                  pm sent

what? your dad is buying another? LMAO!

oh btw, if it's just smog, i got a connect for $140 to pass in the southbay area like Lawndale area... just lmk

Comment

oh snap e30s even pass emissions?
                    Originally posted by ebelements
                    Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Emissions LOL.

Comment

Bronzit? Auto? Yea, I would part it.
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjacks1 View Post
                          The Ca buy back is a graduated system - the oldest (50's) gets the most, the $1000 - an 80's car sells at buy back for $200-$250. Might want to reconsider & maybe part it out for a higher net.
                          Ouch! That's unfortunate.

I really don't think anyone here will be interested in the car, but I'll post up some pictures soon for the heck of it.
                          Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Keep car, move to less loony state?

Comment

It boggles my mind that you guys have to jump through so many hoops for emissions standards down there. I have the luxury of owning property on the East side of the mountains here in WA and there is no emission testing required over here. I've got my truck and e30 registered over here so I won't have to test any vehicle until I sell the house and move back to the west side. Registration/taxes are much cheaper over here too.

Comment

Working...
                              X