No announcement yet.

Finally back into an e30: ‘88 Alpine on Blue 325ic cruiser build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other big change is the availability of standalone engine management. I'm still finishing my DIY MegaSquirt kit, but there is a ton of knowledge and engine maps available. IMO, the biggest hurdle with engine mods has always been the tuning. At this point pretty much every combination has been done, so its just researching, picking what you want, and follow the documented recipe.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

All things are falling into place :) and now I’m officially excited.

Car gets picked up this Friday from Ohio and should be in Texas by next Tuesday at the latest.

Parts on order...
      Rear head rests w/ install kit
      HR Sport Springs
      Bil Shocks
      New front strut mounts
      Spring shims for front and rear (refresh em’ since I’ll be in there)
      Rear filler plate
      Rear Shocks mounts from e46m3
      17x7.5 Kopi’s et20

That’ll give me a good start to a nice cruiser setup.

**I’ve tried to find the center emblem size for the kopis but having a hard time. Anyone know off hand?

**Short shift kits: Should i go straight for the UUC evo3 w/ DSSR? I’ve seen the Z3 1.9 shift kit but don’t want to bend..I believe I went with something I didn’t have to bend on the last vert but can’t find what I did.

***215/40/17 the best size to go with on the kopis?
      Last edited by Mastrcruse; 09-24-2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

What did you find? Also, you may have done it backward, I don't think you're suppose to buy from the rustbelt and ship to Texas...

IMO 17's are to big on an E30.
        1991 318iC
        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

people can hate on 17" wheels but the reality is, 15 and 16" tire selection is poor - performance tires are nearly nonexistent in E30 sizes. Going up to 17" gives you a lot more choices, and ironically they are probably cheaper too.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            The other big change is the availability of standalone engine management. I'm still finishing my DIY MegaSquirt kit, but there is a ton of knowledge and engine maps available. IMO, the biggest hurdle with engine mods has always been the tuning. At this point pretty much every combination has been done, so its just researching, picking what you want, and follow the documented recipe.
            I think this is a big reason why m20s aren't as bad as they used to be. Now there is a way to control them accurately, and make decent power. It used to be engine swaps were the only way to make power.

Originally posted by nando View Post
            people can hate on 17" wheels but the reality is, 15 and 16" tire selection is poor - performance tires are nearly nonexistent in E30 sizes. Going up to 17" gives you a lot more choices, and ironically they are probably cheaper too.
            17s are of the size that you need proper ride height to make look good. 16s and 15s can get away with being at a less than ideal height because there is so much vertical tire to blend it in. I like 17s a lot on e30s. I can't decide on 18s though. I think those may be too big unless really low.
            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
              What did you find? Also, you may have done it backward, I don't think you're suppose to buy from the rustbelt and ship to Texas...

IMO 17's are to big on an E30.
              I would agree but had it inspected for rust (and other things) by local BMW dealership and its been garage kept - no winter driving. Being from the north though, I know I'll be watching for any cancer as I get into the car. Its been owned by an older lady for 25 of its 30+ years. and have had all the pictures taken that I could get that made me feel comfortable.

Comment

I agree and since its a cruiser (and, honestly, I like the kopi's and how they look on the e30), I think a bit larger wheel being okay. Seems 215/40/17 is the right size tire to go with, sounds like it from the many threads I've read (some said 235 but sounded a lot of mods had to happen - I don't mind rolling fenders if needed). That sound right? i get the 16/15 vs 17 debate for a potential track or spirited driving car but knowing it'll never be challenged or pushed much, I think 17" are fine. If the 16" original Alpinas weren't $4000, I would have went for them!

Comment

215/40 should work great, yes.

if you're tracking your car you want 15" wheels since there are lots of race tire sizes, but street tires there's like 2 or 3 choices and they're going to be all seasons (or undersized).
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

• laidback93
                    laidback93 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm loving my Yokohama S Drives on my Ronal LSs. But now I'm getting this uneasy feeling that they might be discontinued. Please say no, please say no!

since we're on the topic of big ol' 17" wheels.

I'll just leave this here

Click image for larger version

Name:	rede30-2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	9873122
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

it would look better with side skirts. otherwise there is just a void where the body should be complete.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                      since we're on the topic of big ol' 17" wheels.

I'll just leave this here

Click image for larger version

Name:	rede30-2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	9873122
                      Looks great! What’s the offset and tire size?

Comment

215/40 should work great, yes.

if you're tracking your car you want 15" wheels since there are lots of race tire sizes, but street tires there's like 2 or 3 choices and they're going to be all seasons (or undersized).
                        Yep! No tracking a vert for me.

Thanks for moving this thread. Was just wondering if I should ask to move this as it’s gonna transform into my (small) build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                          Thanks for moving this thread. Was just wondering if I should ask to move this as it’s gonna transform into my (small) build thread.
                          You're welcome.
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post

Looks great! What’s the offset and tire size?
                            I'm not sure on the tire size, but i'm guessing these are like 235/40

I think the concave ones run an ET20 and the regular ones are ET15

Concave is the way to go tho
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

My staggered 4 lug alpina wheels. Just getting her out also after a long rest. The 24v swap is good...

Comment

Working...
                              X