X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arcpolo
    replied
    Love your new ride, enjoy!!
    Last edited by arcpolo; 06-24-2021, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike36
    replied
    Woah. That some serious poke. Best option is to buy smaller rear lips.

Leave a comment:

• Reichart12
    replied
    I think I saw this posted on FB the other day. I was going to come in and say, sell the wheels, the car, and stick to your Prius. But you know what, slap some 195/30 tires on there, bolt the wheels down, and monster truck that thing to work this summer!

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    ...but not enough to make it look right.

BBS Wheels will look fantastic with the right size and offset. You can fix this, but it might be easier to sell those for $$$$ and buy some better fitting wheels. I think she can take ~8-9" in the rear before she complains

Leave a comment:

• efficient
    replied
    when you slam it, itll camber your wheels.

Leave a comment:

• jgilber0
    replied
    I’m going go against the crowd here. Don’t fuck up your beautiful convertible with all kinds of fender flares and crap, get some narrower wheels. That car is too nice to make a mess of it.

Leave a comment:

• Mark89
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mark89
    replied
    I got around after over a year to try and fit the wheels. Did a test fit earlier today. Am I in trouble?

Leave a comment:

• Zambuzan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark89 View Post
    So went out to the garage and snapped some photos with a tape measure. Barrel's for the front and rears are definitely six inches. The rear lip looks to be 4.25" and the front looks to be 2.25". Gotta research on how to find offset, don't even know what the hell offset is.
    Might want to use this website: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Those wheels look huge but you can definitely make it work. You'll definitely need some rear camber so I would say at least use Ireland Engineering springs, depending on what you'll be using the car for... you don't want an ungodly amount of poke as the comment above states. Also might want to think about fender flares.

I currently run a pretty extreme rear set-up but I just chose to do a light fender roll and then ix-specific fender covers. No major mods and it looks great.

Leave a comment:

• e30vert
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_149814.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	9915219 Those are some aggressive rims and many would say suspension drop comes before rims and that stretched tires would be needed to pull off the fitment.

The reason for suspension lowering is 2 fold.
    1. It reduces the overall center of gravity of the vehicle allowing the vehicle to be more planted and hold the road better. Allowing "spirited" or aggressive driving with less roll to the vehicle.
    2. It looks more sporty and aesthetically pleasing to many.
    I guess its 3 fold in your case
    It allows the tread to be pushed up under the wheel well and does not give the look of a 4 x 4 truck.

"Stretched tires" are when you mount a slightly undersized tire width to the rim and it stretches the sidewall inwards at an angle. As you can see in the Rabbit picture I posted the side wall does not go straight upwards and it pulls in at an angle inboard towards the vehicle.
    This pulls the contact patch of the tread inwards as to try and hide that tread under the wheel wells.
    Last edited by e30vert; 04-04-2020, 11:43 AM. Reason: Added a quick and dirty MS paint representation of a vertical line from the rear rim upwards to emphasize what too much "poke" looks like

Leave a comment:

• e30vert
    replied
    The offset of a wheel is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the center line of the wheel. The wheel offset is measured in millimeters and results in a positive, negative, or zero offset.

Its going to determine how much of the rim will be pushed out away from the hub.

For example it appears you have a rim with 10 inches in width (or there abouts) So the center of the rim is 5 inches (simple division 1/2 of total width) and the offset is ZERO well then that would mean that the hub would mount right at the middle of the rim and allow 5 inches to be in front of the hub and 5 inches to be behind the hub. Rim manufacturers can place the offset either closer to the hub so that more of the face of the rim sticks out or farther away from the hub so less sticks out.

This becomes a concern as the wheel make "poke" out too much from under the fenders and look odd when looking down the side lines of the vehicle. You will hear guys comment "too much poke"

What they are saying is the rim sticks out way too far to look good.

There is also the concern that if the rim mounts with negative offset then more of the rim in inboard towards the suspension and brake componentry and can interfere of contact those items (commonly shock towers or brake calipers)

Many know that fitment of a 10 inch wide rim on an e30 chassis will require work and may not be possible . Even then you may wind up with way too much poke.

Here is an example of too much poke in the front and rear on a Rabbit (Ignore the stretched tires and just look at the how far the rims protrude from the fender line -draw a "mental" vertical line upwards from the edge of the rim face)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4459108838_5fe66a2230_b.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	9915214

Leave a comment:

• Mark89
    replied
    So went out to the garage and snapped some photos with a tape measure. Barrel's for the front and rears are definitely six inches. The rear lip looks to be 4.25" and the front looks to be 2.25". Gotta research on how to find offset, don't even know what the hell offset is.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark89 View Post

Yes, will do. i’m following what they’re telling me to do in this video to get measurement btw.

https://youtu.be/um2Yqqz2LfM
    Also do you know the offset of them?

Leave a comment:

• Mark89
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Just curious, but can you take a photo of the tape measure against the floor to the top of the lip (width from outer edge to outer edge)? Those look even wider than 10" to me.
    Yes, will do. i’m following what they’re telling me to do in this video to get measurement btw.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Just curious, but can you take a photo of the tape measure against the floor to the top of the lip (width from outer edge to outer edge)? Those look even wider than 10" to me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X