Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New owner: 89 325i

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New owner: 89 325i

    Hi. Just joined the club! Have never owned an E30, and something about these cars is just timeless. I picked mine up from Vancouver and drove it back home to Seattle. This replaces a Tesla Model S, which I sold the same day. Time to go RETRO!

    Some quick specs: '89 325i. Full engine rebuild + clutch from snapped tbelt about 9k miles ago, stromung cat back, H&R + Bilstein, E36 rack, 325is LSD, sport front seats, euro headrest back seat, bbs reps, wet sanded and polished like glass. I need to dig in and learn and fix a few things, but she will be fresh soon!

    Pics attached! Glad to be here.

    #2
    Looks very nice! I would really like to own an e30 sedan some day.

    Comment


      #3
      Looks fantastic. Love the wheels. Sits just right. Hope to see it at the picnic in June.

      Comment


        #4
        Get some rear spacers ;)
        "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

        Comment


          #5
          @mchang How was importing from Canada to Seattle? I'm about to import one from Canada to Seattle myself, I've been following this guide: https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...nada-to-the-us

          Did you have to sit at the border for a long time while they checked the car? Any issues with stamping the DOT and EPA form? Was the use tax charged in Seattle for registering against the bill of sale amount or the fair market value of the vehicle?

          Sorry for all the questions - this is my first time, and it's awesome to see you were able to do it just recently.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by PDXScott View Post
            Looks fantastic. Love the wheels. Sits just right. Hope to see it at the picnic in June.
            What post should I follow for his picnic? No idea what you're talking about!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
              Get some rear spacers ;)
              New tires going on. 205/55r15. Let's see how they look.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by midnight_marauder View Post
                @mchang How was importing from Canada to Seattle? I'm about to import one from Canada to Seattle myself, I've been following this guide: https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...nada-to-the-us

                Did you have to sit at the border for a long time while they checked the car? Any issues with stamping the DOT and EPA form? Was the use tax charged in Seattle for registering against the bill of sale amount or the fair market value of the vehicle?

                Sorry for all the questions - this is my first time, and it's awesome to see you were able to do it just recently.
                Done it twice. No problems.

                If it was a US car, essentially, you don't have to do anything. Just make sure the EPA and DOT stickers are still on the door jamb and in the engine compartment somewhere. EPA sticker site https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicl...missions-label
                If you want to avoid paying duty (~3%), you need to prove it was previously registered in the US. For my 993, I provided a copy of a previous US registration and title. For this E30, I didn't have that, so I was charged duty.

                Otherwise, just drive up, tell them you are importing a car to the US, and go to secondary inspection. Make sure you have the Canadian paperwork, and then you should be good. Just wait like 30 min.

                Ask any more questions!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mchang View Post

                  What post should I follow for his picnic? No idea what you're talking about!
                  Just keep an eye out in the Regional Sub-forum for the E30 Picnic. Its an annual event where hundreds of E30s get together in your backyard (Tacoma)

                  Sedan looks great, are those all your cars in the background?
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
                  Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...

                  Make R3V Great Again -2020

                  Comment


                    #10
                    mchang thanks! It’s never been imported to the US... but everything should be the same, except I’ll be charged with a duty fee, right?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

                      Just keep an eye out in the Regional Sub-forum for the E30 Picnic. Its an annual event where hundreds of E30s get together in your backyard (Tacoma)

                      Sedan looks great, are those all your cars in the background?
                      Will do! The ones you might see are mine and a friend whom I share a warehouse with. The 911s are mine :)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by midnight_marauder View Post
                        mchang thanks! It’s never been imported to the US... but everything should be the same, except I’ll be charged with a duty fee, right?
                        If it is ok to import (e.g. more than 25 years old) then yes, you’ll just be charged duty.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Nice pictures and the car looks super clean! Big change going from Model S to an E30! Curious, what do you daily? I'm also in Seattle, picked up an E30 recently from another member here.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by hywl View Post
                            Nice pictures and the car looks super clean! Big change going from Model S to an E30! Curious, what do you daily? I'm also in Seattle, picked up an E30 recently from another member here.
                            I have a 95 911, 03 911 C4S, 94 Land Cruiser FJZ80, and this 89 325i. I am swapping around between the latter three cars depending on mood and weather :). I need to get new tires on the E30 RIGHT NOW, so I'm driving the C4S and Land Cruiser until that happens.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Quite a deviation going from a Tesla to this! I guess with a bunch of other ponies in the stable it doesn't matter as much, but nice to see someone shunning the electrics for some 80's style.

                              Hard to tell from the pics, what color is it? Some pics it looks straight Schwarz, others it almost looks like a really dark burgundy. Either way, beautiful car.
                              Albie

                              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

                              Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 Feedback | Albie's M4 European Delivery

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X