Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Touring - third heart transplant

This is my new daily,
    a 1993 BMW 316i Design Edition Touring, Roadtripped it back home from Dresden (im from South Bavaria)

Bought it from the second owner, who replaced parts like:
    • swap to M3 Steering Rack,
    • new Suspension
    • new Brakes
    • new control arms
    • new seats
    • engineswap M40B18
    and many more.

Changes i did to the car:
    • M Tech 1 Steering wheel
    • Becker Navigation System
    • fixed the central locking unit
    • removed rust and conserved the body
    • repainted the whole body
    • 7.5x16" & 9x16" wheels from a mini
    After that i changed back to the original suspension in the rear, got it registered and inspected. Drove it for two months, did a Roadtrip to Zell am See and Saalfelden twice. When returning from my last trip the engine self destructed. The intake valve of cylinder 1 fell out the cylinderhead and it's remains ruined all cylinders & pistons. After that i bought a used M42B18 from a E36 318ti from 1995. The swap was a simple plug&play (except for the EWS2)

Some pictures from restoring process

Comment

Looks very nice! I like that interior. The M42 is a great engine, but I may be biased. :)

Comment

And now for the engineswap. This will be the third time it has been replaced!
        It's a BMW M42B18 from a 1995 E36 318ti with OBD1 EWS2. Exhaust will be made soon. currently im trying to fabricate a mount for the harness and the coilpack from alloy.
        Also a picture from the sideview of the touring with the lowering springs in front an OEM suspension in the rear.

Comment

Nice Touring!

What size are the wheels and tires? Something looks odd about them. Im also not a fan of black wheels, especially on dark colored cars. To each his own, but any thoughts on getting them refinished in silver?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

7.5x16" & 9x16" wheels from a mini
            Tires a stretched. 195 in the back i think...
            Not sure about the offset right now. But they work without spacers and are not rubbing.

Wont refinish them as i plan on getting completly different wheels

Comment

Not a bad size wheel, but definitely tires that are too small...

What are the dream replacement wheels?
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Not a bad size wheel, but definitely tires that are too small...

What are the dream replacement wheels?

215/45R16 on some 7,5x16 Lenso BSX in silver.
                Attached Files

Comment

Purrrfect
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

That'll look classy.

Comment

Yes, originally i had the 15" BBS Kreuzspeichen(as seen in my first post) which i sold for cheap to another E30 owner who had to get his car inspected and needed them for his historical vehicle license. Currently i could get a set of Borbet A's in 7,5x16" which need new paint... I will probably buy them next week after work, they're only 80€

Currently im looking forward to receiving my mail. I ordered a replacement Chip for my 590 DME which cranks but doesn't inject fuel (spark is there) and for a K&N 57i Filter Kit that i ordered.

Comment

I see you had to cut out a piece of the quarter panel due to rust. Did you spot weld sheet metal then bondo it? or is there a way to fix that with fiberglass (for those of who don't have access to a welder)

Comment

Originally posted by finnmole View Post
                          I see you had to cut out a piece of the quarter panel due to rust. Did you spot weld sheet metal then bondo it? or is there a way to fix that with fiberglass (for those of who don't have access to a welder)
                          Not only one spot, but about a square meter /15 square inch of sheet metal! The corners under front fenders, some spots on the rear and in the front too. It was spot welded and i did not do the job myself. I can only stick weld stuff that's thicker than 3 mill.
                          DO NOT BONDO ANYTHING ON THE CAR I SWEAR! Wont hold for long i suppose. And think about the stability of the car...
                          The only time i used anything else than welding was on my M52Tu conversion where i fixed a hole in the oilpan with JB-Weld. Still no leak there.

Oh and for the wheels question. In the meantime ill be sticking some money to Borbert A's i mentioned a post above finnmole's. will drive them with 205/45/16 tires.

Comment

Love the color of this car and great updates so far! keep it up!

Comment

Thanks!
                              Engine finally idles! Put the fuelline on the wrong way.. So it's time to get the exhaust made :)

Comment

Working...
                              X