LS1 swap 318IS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milosav2 View Post

Is the upper factory mount doing much holding? Isn't it meant to squeeze over the top of two round pieces of aluminum snuggly? The Becool radiator doesn't have those two pieces? Maybe you're just using that factory upper mount to hold/press the radiator up against the sheet metal of the car?
    Yes, the rubber mounts just press down/hold the radiator snugly against the core support. I have the core support foam/rubber lined so it sucks it tight into the foam.

Comment

Small, but also large upgrade this weekend. The factory LS1 intake is one of/if not the worst flowing intakes of the gen 3/4 engines. The truck intakes are a better option for power in comparison. Our local LS page had a listing for a broken LS6 manifold friday. Turns out the company shipping him his engine busted the vacuum port off the back of the intake. Lucky for me he didn't care what intake he had, he just wanted an intake he could use. Off came my stock LS1, traded the guy saturday morning and sunday morning I broke out the plastic welder. Since I have hydro brakes I didn't need the vacuum ports to run the booster, so I plastic welded a plate after hacking off the broken port.

Untitled by Tyeler Andersen, on Flickr

I spent 4+ hours stripping this nasty red paint off. I commend whoever painted it, they did a really good prep job which made my life hell. Got it stripped and shot some satin black back over it.

Good for a solid 15-20whp and a nice virtually free upgrade!

My LS fleet is growing. I have a RWD converted 4g63T for my white mighty max in the pic, but I may just stick a 5.3 in it too.

Comment

Race prep for the Dec. 11th event starts now. First on the list is suspension. Thanks to Northern posting about the civic coil sleeves on amazon. I was going to order AFCO collars/perches but for $50 these are surprisingly good quality, the springs will get trashed obviously.

Next on the list was a quality spring. Nothing against GC but all my cars run swift springs, I like how they handle coil bind compared to almost any other spring on the market and their spring rate consistency is top notch. I ordered a set of 500lb fronts, rears i'm planning a 7XXlb rate once I get the front setup how I want. Peep that coil stack compared to the china specials. Way more spring stroke before coil bind.

Vorshlag is supplying the camber plates with their new aluminum E30 plates, hoping theyll be here this week so I can swap next week while off work. Koni DA shocks all around to dampen everything. I planned to order them but after getting home from my trip one of my dogs went totally blind in both eyes about 2 hours after we made it home. We've been treating what our vet diagnosed (incorrectly) as allergies for the past 2 months which ended up being IHK disease. It's turned into quite the expensive process to treat since it was improperly treated for so long. We're optimistic he'll get at least partial vision back, but it's in the air right now. Bad for him and bad for my car fund, but he's priority right now. Hopefully the next update we'll be handling well and stopping well with some PFC08 pads and centric blanks.

Comment

Haha nice about the springs! Where did you order swift springs from? (asking for a friend )

Sorry about the pup struggles. I'm thankful that mine hasn't gone through that, but she's had her fair share of expensive vet visits over the years.

Are you planning to run PFC08's on the street? I wanted to a few years back and was talked out of it, so I'd be interested in how it works out for you
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            Haha nice about the springs! Where did you order swift springs from? (asking for a friend )

Sorry about the pup struggles. I'm thankful that mine hasn't gone through that, but she's had her fair share of expensive vet visits over the years.

Are you planning to run PFC08's on the street? I wanted to a few years back and was talked out of it, so I'd be interested in how it works out for you
            I have 6 siberian huskies so it was just a matter of time before one of them ended up with something bad. Sucks that it's total blindness, but we're just dealing with it as it comes.

The springs I ordered off ebay, they were the only place listing them in-stock, however, I emailed swift prior to ordering these about their 550lb springs as thats what I wanted and they emailed me back after ordering the 500lb with a link to order the 550's. If you cross what spring you want from their website MAPerformance, Vivid racing and a few other vendors all have them available to order from. Theyre drop shipped from swift regradless.

As far as pads I'm not sure. I run project Nu track pads on my evo and the brakes are absolutely horrible on the street, but so long as you know they suck it's not bad to daily on. It's virtually impossible to get enough heat in them street driving to actually bite properly, the e30 is about 400lbs lighter so it may be bearable. The current pads are so glazed from the last event that even a cold track pad will probably stop better than them Worst case I'll grab some stoptech street compounds and use a spare set of rotors, it's easy enough to swap I'm not too concerned and I usually inspect everything after each event so it'll be apart anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by tyeler18 View Post
              Race prep for the Dec. 11th event starts now. First on the list is suspension. Thanks to Northern posting about the civic coil sleeves on amazon. I was going to order AFCO collars/perches but for $50 these are surprisingly good quality, the springs will get trashed obviously.
              Exactly what I did for my build last year, appears to be the same brand even.
              2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
              1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
              1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Nice write up, been reading every ls swap thread for quite some time now. Eventually will get around to posting my own swap, once everything is finished...if that day will ever come.

I'm quite curious about your 245 tire fitment; no rubbing on frame rail in the front at full lock? 245 is pretty wide, my 225 are rubbing pretty good in the mentioned area. Would like to go wider to be able to put the power down. After getting a set of 17" wheels and tires, which I thought would fit "with no issues", I'm a bit cautious about experimenting. I think at least second hand experience would prove to be a little more helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustachio View Post
                  Nice write up, been reading every ls swap thread for quite some time now. Eventually will get around to posting my own swap, once everything is finished...if that day will ever come.

I'm quite curious about your 245 tire fitment; no rubbing on frame rail in the front at full lock? 245 is pretty wide, my 225 are rubbing pretty good in the mentioned area. Would like to go wider to be able to put the power down. After getting a set of 17" wheels and tires, which I thought would fit "with no issues", I'm a bit cautious about experimenting. I think at least second hand experience would prove to be a little more helpful.
                  I have very minimal rubbing at full lock on the sway bar but that's it. Some negative camber alone may be enough to tip the wheel around it as it's very minor and you have to be on the stops to hit it anyways. If this was a drift car it would be an issue some spacers would rectify but as a daily/HPDE car the only time I've ever rubbed is if I'm trying to whip the car around on a tight u-turn/donut at very slow speeds. Aside from that I have zero issues, these A052's are impressively grippy. The car's just a bolt on LS1 so it's nothing crazy power wise but it hooks up well with some throttle control.

Thanksgiving update! Hopefully everyones coming out of their food coma, we're having our thanksgiving today (Friday) and I had wednesday and yesterday off from work which meant time for car work. I've been itching to put these springs on and see how well the front end of the car does. I started wednesday with a test fit for the rear. My goal was to make sure the 6" spring length was going to be what I wanted. I don't plan on going very low with the car, but I wanted some level of adjustability to make changes. It seemed a lot of guys wanted to go lower in the rear than a 6" spring allowed, so I figured I'd test fit the 6" and if they didn't sit where I wanted, I'd order 5" rears. I was actually pretty surprised how tall the rear sat with a 6" spring. I tried just the spring with no collar and it was about right where I would want it, but adding the collar and spring perches in was nearly taller than stock. Modifications were made!

I decided the height of both the locking ring and the spring perch was too much, so eliminating the locking ring was the first goal. The amazon kit came with a bunch of grub screws that are meant to hold the collar to it's base. Not as useful for me, but they make great grub screws. Drilled and tapped the spring perch and now we have a semi crude locking spring perch, I dont forsee any issues with this, but with the 5" spring I may add the locking ring back in since I know I'll have some height adjustment.

The next issues was the length of the collars, theyre like 5" long which is way to long for the rears. Under compression you'd just be riding on the body of the collar, took some measurements and 2.25" collar length will hit the bumps before the collar.

Here's the perch adjusted all the way down, it's decent, liveable for me, but not very low.

I stuck the stock springs back in and then got to thinking, I have those cheapy amazon "front" springs that northern said are supposed to be 425lb springs. So I took it all back apart and put the amazon springs in the rear until I get my 800lb swifts.

Moving on to the front I was feeling pretty lazy, so lazy I didn't even want to remove the strut tube from the car so... I didn't. No spring compressor needed lol

Found a nice surprise from the previous owner in the front strut tubes, I noticed the bilstein gland nut when I went to pull it. Low and behold there's some B8 shocks in here, grandma wanted a sportier ride I guess. They'll do for now until I can get the koni DA's in.

My vorshlag camber plates still haven't shipped so I made due with the spring hats that came with the amazon springs. They need drilled out to 14mm to fit the shock shaft, but bolt on aside from that. Reuse the stock washer between the top hat and the strut mount and no clearance issues. Left the stock spring hat on to make sure everything worked, before chopping it off. I cut the collar down so that the gland nut tightens down onto it and holds it tight from moving as well.

Rough ride height set, actually not too bad. It rides WONDERFULLY, the rear obviously needs way more spring with a 500lb front and 425lb rear but it's a very comfortable *planted* ride now. Just enough weight transfer to not feel like a shifter kart but not enough to put the tires into the fenders anymore. The brakes work so much better now that the front end doesn't dive anymore either. I ordered the 800lb springs today, so I'll swap them out when they get here and re-adjust.

Comment

Update day again, finally getting some work done that hasn't been important but I've been wanting to do.

First up: LED lights. The stock lighting is pretty dated and i've been meaning to blow a bunch of cash at superbrightleds to update all my cars, so black friday I did. LED trunk, dome, license plate, reverse, and city lights, amazon special high/lows for the headlights, also wired the highs and lows to come on together-

Still need some adjustment, but theyre much better than the halogen bulbs they had in them. Next my rear 800lb swift springs came in, got those on and worked on re-leveling the car. This was a huge improvement aswell, although now you can tell it's on stiff springs. The 400lb rears masked a lot of the stiffness of the 500lb fronts. Still plenty streetable with B8 front shocks and blown no-name rears. Can't wait to stick the DA konis on. Received my vorshlag camber plates too, these are a new aluminum version. Unfortunately I forgot to inform them I have bilsteins and had to order deep reach nuts today. No go on install yet, hoping to have them before the 11th.

Stupid used hydroboost started leaking, that was a chore to swap out. I have a lifetime warranty now at least. Hopefully this one lasts until the tesla booster as that looks like a promising improvement. These work good but the bulk and complexity is irritating to deal with.

Last of all, spent the majority of the weekend doing paint correction. It's easy to tell the car is salmon pink from the AZ sun, it was time to fix that. Spent all of saturday doing a decontamination wash, clay everything on the car and a single stage polish, then wax. It's a 10' paint correction still, but leagues better than it was.

The clay from just doing the windows. These were scrubbed heavily before hand.

Comment

Huge difference from what I can see in the photos. Nice work!

Comment

In post 11 you mention you are using 16x8 +20 XXR 531's wrapped in 205/60/16 tires with no fender rolling and you get occasional rubbing on hard dips. Do you think the rubbing would be no issue with 205/50/16 or 205/45/16 tires due to their smaller side wall? Here are some tire height calculations:

205/60/16: 25.7"
                        205/50/16: 24.1"
                        205/45/16: 23.3"

Also, do you think a 225/45 tire would rub with the 16x8 +20 XXR 531's? According to this thread it should be fine: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...fitment-thread

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                          Huge difference from what I can see in the photos. Nice work!
                          Thank you, its by no stretch perfect. The paint is getting very thin so I didn't want to get crazy with a medium cutting compound, its good enough until it gets painted though.

Comment

In post 11 you mention you are using 16x8 +20 XXR 531's wrapped in 205/60/16 tires with no fender rolling and you get occasional rubbing on hard dips. Do you think the rubbing would be no issue with 205/50/16 or 205/45/16 tires due to their smaller side wall? Here are some tire height calculations:

205/60/16: 25.7"
                            205/50/16: 24.1"
                            205/45/16: 23.3"

Also, do you think a 225/45 tire would rub with the 16x8 +20 XXR 531's? According to this thread it should be fine: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...fitment-thread
                            I was on stock suspension at the time which cycled quite a bit. A 205/50 will be zero issue, I'm on a 245/45 now and I have zero issues rubbing with the coilovers. You should be plenty fine with a 225/45

Comment

Looks like the A052's handle and put down power very well from that one event you went to in post number 20? How much tread life do you anticipate getting with them?

Comment

Looks like the A052's handle and put down power very well from that one event you went to in post number 20? How much tread life do you anticipate getting with them?
                                With all the driving I've been doing in the car I don't see why I won't get 15-20k out of them. They barely wore at that event and they were way overworked on the stock suspension. With the coilovers on it does much better of controlling everything now and I assume tire wear will decrease even more. I've put nearly 2k miles on them already driving it all over Arizona for my dog and they've worn like a normal street tire. The corvette guys claim they'll get 30+ HPDE events out of them before their corded. I'd be happy with half that.

In other news, finally received my appraisal for my montero that was hit. For anyone with a modified vehicle worried about being totaled, an independent appraisal for pre-loss or even prior to accident is worth the $300. I was hoping for a $10,000 appraisal minimum so the truck wouldn't be totaled out, I was more than pleasantly surprised. This is a niche market truck so it's already hard to appraise being stock, a turbo LS makes it a little more difficult.

Needless to say the truck will definitely be getting fixed properly now. Ironically progressive who has been so good about hounding on me every single day for the appraisal has yet to get back to me since sending them the PDF. I may have enough cash left over to add some more mods to the e30 when it's done.

Comment

Working...
                                X