Mm-Mm-Manifold!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mm-Mm-Manifold!

What started out as a timing belt/water pump change evolved, as these things tend to do in my garage, into a far bigger cleanup/fix/replace/prettify job. The OP had painted the manifold gloss black, but I decided that needed to go. A late night and some consciousness-expanding substances caused me to break out the paint stripper and some metal polishing tools. I ground off the molding lugs and seam lines, then started the LONG (25 hours) process of polishing out the intake runners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6829.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	9963541

This shows the process as it progressed through various levels of sanding, grinding, and polishing with buffing compound and finally, Mother's Wheel Polish, each time making big scratches into smaller scratches. It was tedious.

Name:	IMG_6830.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	9963539 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6826.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	9963540

Yesterday, I finally had this:

Name:	IMG_6832.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	9963548

Name:	IMG_6831.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	9963547

I bought as set of $200 long-tube stainless headers--surprisingly good quality--and the plan is to make the intake runners approximate the finish of the exhaust tubes. I'll paint the rest of the manifold in wrinkle finish black, so just the runners stand out. The valve cover will get wrinkle finish too, but probably in red.

Terry

Attached Files

That looks slick, I like it! Also mmmmmmm, conscious expanding substances ::Homer voice::
    Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Nice work. That thing looks like a shiny headcrab, ready to jump on and take over your brains. Now I sort of want to go play some Half Life again...

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
        Nice work. That thing looks like a shiny headcrab, ready to jump on and take over your brains. Now I sort of want to go play some Half Life again...
        Agree--It looked to me like a chrome Dungeness crab. Just finished shooting the VHT wrinkle black paint, which for some reason doesn't work for me very well. I've done the valve cover three times and haven't liked the final finish. This time I heated it up with a heat gun to get it to wrinkle a bit better.

Comment

you missed a spot
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Finally got it all back together after painting the manifold, only to be met with a no-start condition (teeth gnashing noises go here). No spark and no fuel, but the fuel pump works and the DME relay is good, so I have diagnosed a bad crank position sensor. Tested it with a meter and it appears not to have an output signal, assuming I did the test correctly. I'll find one this week to swap in. The car has 240,000 miles on it, so I should probably replace all the sensors. The water temp sender in the head crumbled into two pats when I pulled the connector--the plastic clips and plugs are pretty fragile after all these years and miles.

I used to mentally write off vehicles when the got into high mileages, but having entered my geezerhood with high mileage myself, I now get a kick out of seeing how long I can make them last. My 2008 M3 has 117K, my 1999 Checy Silverado has 242,000, my 1985 911 has 115,000 (it's the garage queen), and this car has 240,000. All of them should last pretty much forever if I put in the effort. With this car, i was struck by how clean it was under the valve cover, and how spotless the intake valves looked with the intake off. The car also shows a lot of care from the previous owner, a frequent poster here.

Name:	IMG_6836.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	9964941

Name:	IMG_6837.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	9964940

Comment

Car is up and running--it was the crank position sensor causing the no-start condition. Definitely a relief when the car fired up, because I was fresh out of ideas at that point.

In addition to replacing all the coolant hoses, I also replaced all the vacuum lines, which had hardened over the 31 years. All of this made a nice difference in the way the car runs--it's now running with the smoothness that the BMW inline 6 is famous for.

Next steps are putting in a quicker steering rack and replacing the too-long 3.25 rear with a 4.10.

Comment

Working...
              X