Project KEEP MOVING FORWARD

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Il Duce
    replied
    Holy crap what an update! Congrats on finding another S52 - seems very serendipitous.

    Leave a comment:


  • max.rodriguezzz
    replied
    ayyeee awesome update, stoked to see that you're reunited with an s52 and the car is rolling again!

    a smoke tester will help tremendously with finding vacuum leaks, and the good part is that it will be useful on almost any car. Mine has been passed around my friend group more times than I can count

    as for the shaking, is its not related to the A/F issues - honestly, check your driveshaft/guibo bolts. Especially if the shaking/vibrations occur upon low gear low acceleration moments too. This happened to me one time after reinstalling my transmission, somehow forgot to tighten one of the guibo bolts and it backed its nut off and the bolt began to follow.

    also worth considering- are your current engine and trans mounts the same ones from the crash?

    Leave a comment:


  • Panici
    replied
    YES! I am pumped to see it running again, and with an S52 no less.
    Good work.

    As for the issues you mentioned:
    An erratic/low idle speed can cause the shaking.

    I see you are running the M50b25 intake manifold. How did you sort out the ICV & cyclone separator? That's a common area for vacuum leaks depending on what parts you used for the manifold conversion.

    Smoke tester is a good idea.


    For reference I ended up with the "MaximumPSI M50 Boost-proof ICV hose kit with Billet ICV barbed fitting", and used some sealant and a ziptie for good measure.
    I deleted the cyclone oil separator but for something naturally aspirated you'll want to keep it installed to pull vacuum on your crankcase (which helps to seal the rings)




    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Update #13

    Alright... so I certainly tried to take a break, but failed. Sooo here we go...

    So first, sold the zf 5speed from the 528. Got a good chunk of change for that since the detents were decent and both mounting tabs were intact.



    Then I organized the garage a little to work on the M52





    M52 upside down to do the oil pump nut, pickup, gasket, pan









    Then I found a sweet deal on a vintage Recaro seat 5 minutes from my work, so I impulse bought it lol.



    Finally got around to applying the clear coat to the wedding hood



    Then... a big change happened. Stumbled across an S52 with proof of it running and driving and correct miles, AND good compression for too cheap to pass up. Sooooo... we are back on the S52 train I guess




    This is all in chrono order... so randomly jumping around. A new neighbor started parking a 996 turbo on the street near me. I think that's gentrification or something.



    And here are the engines side-by-side. The crappy part of the timing was that I had just finished doing ALL the gaskets on the M52 and was about to install the exhaust manifold. Good news is... S52 makes me happy. So had to play some juggling with getting the m52 off the stand and the s52 on it.



    Also, at the same time decided to move my toolbox that was in my laundry room to the garage as I was getting fed up with my garage setup. Now I actually use the toolbox like you're supposed to do.



    Got ahead of myself and threw the beauty cover on as I was pumped. Reminded me my license plate is 332I, so I dont have to be a poser with my M52 anymore.



    S52 accessories all done. Also mocking up the A/c compressor, as I am going to actually get the a/c going in this version of the car.





    Cleaned up more, but almost ready to drop it in



    Trans going on





    And we have landing. I didn't stop for too many action shots. I did the drop-in solo again. However, learned from the past two times. I took off the sway bar and bolted the downpipe from the headers onto the engine before dropping in. This saved so much headache of having to secure the downpipe while in the car. Can't believe I didn't just remove the sway bar before. Took less than 15 minutes. And dropping in the engine only took like an hour.





    Not pictured... but

    1) got the shifter linkage sorted
    2) bolted trans to chassis, and torqued down engine mounts
    3) hooked up power steering lines to pump
    4) got the e-fan, coolant hoses, and radiator all buttoned up
    5) Then wiring harness all connected



    Did the pivot in the garage to get the car out





    First test drive went ok... have a couple issues I need to address:

    1) Getting codes P1188, P1189, and P0170. This all points to fuel/air mixture. Guessing I have a vacuum leak somewhere. So working on diagnosing that.
    2) I'm also getting a horrible shake when I come to a stop and idling. Doesn't happen at startup. Only happens if I'm driving then come to a stop, and let it sit for a second. At first I thought it was the clutch, since I was clutching in when coming to a stop. But I was able to rule it out as drove the car more, the clutch being pressed in or not, had no effect on the shaking/shuttering while idling at a stop. I think it is related to the vacuum issue. If it doesn't sort out after that, I'll have to check all the mounts again. Maybe I forgot to torque down something.
    3) I think it is related to the codes as well. It feels very low on torque/power down low especially. Gets a little better as the RPMs increase, but not much. I know it won't be the same as my cammed S52, but it doesn't feel right. Also, I can feel the power breaking up as I accelerate. Which points back to fueling/air issue. We will see as I continue to diagnose.

    Any tips on the above issues would be huge help. I'm already replacing o-rings around vacuum lines/plugs, and replacing the PCV hose to the valve cover. I might buy a cheap smoke tester, and try that if I can't find anything obvious.



    Leave a comment:


  • grandeswag
    replied
    Originally posted by JasonWilson48
    Sneak peek. I’ll write an actual post soon.

    grandeswagdice2012

    https://youtube.com/shorts/QWzckufCu...Et_rUY6UiIgQBN
    Lol hell yeah!

    Leave a comment:


  • dice2012
    replied
    Lmao had the same reaction for my first start. Sounds like it's running great already, good looks.

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Sneak peek. I’ll write an actual post soon.

    grandeswagdice2012

    Leave a comment:


  • max.rodriguezzz
    replied
    good work my friend, enjoy your well deserved rest while the m52 is sitting pretty

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    holy fuck, that engine got hit by a missile

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Update #12

    Made room for engine work.



    Put the S52 block out in the rain so it can think about what it did.



    Not sure what to do with this 5 gallon bucket that is half coolant. My bucket of shame.



    Made quick work of pulling M52 and ZF. Start to finish, did it all in one day.



















    Now it's time to get rid of the 5 series, and chill like people suggested above. Don't want another shell lingering in the driveway.

    See ya in a bit.

    Leave a comment:


  • max.rodriguezzz
    replied
    nvm, just saw the new update !

    that cyl 1 damage is crazy

    s52 garage table is a must!!! definitely display the obliterated piston and rod too.

    I think the m52 for the e30 will be a good move, and hopefully cheaper too !

    good luck my friend

    Leave a comment:


  • max.rodriguezzz
    replied
    finally getting around to posting a reply haha...

    Congrats on getting married !!! pretty cool pics from the honeymoon too.

    Such a bummer about the engine :( Talk about shitty timing, but That's nice that that stranger helped you out. At the end of the day, it makes for a good story at the least. Any clue on what could have of gone wrong? It sure is a journey that these cars take you on am I right?

    Good luck man, looking forward to the next update !

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Update #11.5

    Mini update here as I got the engine torn down more while my wife was sleeping this this weekend.


    Piston 1 left the chat. Couldn't see this massive hole before as it was covered behind the alternator/PS pump/OFH bracket. The bracket is fine surprisingly.









    Oil pump cracked, metal pieces of rod and piston are everywhere in oil pan









    Garage is a mess ... AGAIN





    Cams look fine though. Just need a polish probably... (sitting directly on the 5 series trunk lol)





    Got the head off. Carnage in cylinder 1, cylinders 2-6 look great though.







    2 bent valves in cylinder 1. checks out. Head might be serviceable if it didn't warp. Need to clean it and check for flatness. Might just take it to a shop to check if it is worth saving or not. Can't see any crack right now since it is so dirty.





    What's left of piston/rod #1. Think I might frame it, or dump it in epoxy or something. Do I make a table our of the s52 block?



    and the 5 series got a oil/coolant polish after I put away the Cams lol




    Ordered gaskets for the M52. Goal is to get it out of the 5 series in September, and to get the car running again before it snows here. We will see...

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    10/10 masochist vid

    Leave a comment:


  • dice2012
    replied
    Wow that video is gnarly. Wonder what broke inside to cause that.
    That engine bay pic made me think I was looking at a pic of my car for a sec glw the build man and congrats on the wedding!

    Leave a comment:

Working...