Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(UPDATED 3/1: More Pics!) My Cheap CL E30 project car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wait til you get a real buffer and some good polish.
    sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
      Nice work...I'll check out their site, I may buy some stuff, and provide him with more shots for advertisements....but time owns me!
      Definitely do. Their products are top notch and they have everything mated together to make it idiot proof...

Originally posted by Red88 View Post
      That's fucking amazing.
      It is definitely a HUGE difference. I had friends (a few girls I know) who know nothing about cars ask about the spots kind of confused why it looked so good there...

Originally posted by s_ribs View Post
      Just wait til you get a real buffer and some good polish.
      Yep this was done with a PC and the Gloshaus products. Comparable to Griots hi end stuff. He is going to let me use the PC and his products in the next month while he is out of town! I'm a newb otherwise he's let me use his "special" buffer that as he describes is "all german business" and requires immediate attention or will pull the paint right off...

Comment

Originally posted by PutterMcGavin View Post
        Yep this was done with a PC and the Gloshaus products. Comparable to Griots hi end stuff. He is going to let me use the PC and his products in the next month while he is out of town! I'm a newb otherwise he's let me use his "special" buffer that as he describes is "all german business" and requires immediate attention or will pull the paint right off...

I must have misread, I thought you bought a buffer for $20 at Walmart. I'm guessing you got the Porter Cable dual-action? DA's are great for beginners since you can't screw up the paint. I have that and their rotary as well. Rotary's are all business but require a bit more attention - probably what he's talking about.

FYI, Griots is all marketing and only so-so on products (not to mention ridiculously priced). Check out Autogeek for products! It's only partly about the buffer, more about compound/polish and pad choice. If you want some help with that stuff feel free to shoot me a PM.
        sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

Originally posted by s_ribs View Post
          I must have misread, I thought you bought a buffer for $20 at Walmart. I'm guessing you got the Porter Cable dual-action? DA's are great for beginners since you can't screw up the paint. I have that and their rotary as well. Rotary's are all business but require a bit more attention - probably what he's talking about.

FYI, Griots is all marketing and only so-so on products (not to mention ridiculously priced). Check out Autogeek for products! It's only partly about the buffer, more about compound/polish and pad choice. If you want some help with that stuff feel free to shoot me a PM.
          Nope you read correctly. I originally took a $20 buffer to it just for the heck of it but in later post my buddy did 3 different cutitng pads with 3 different compounds, a sealant/gloss and carnuba. It is very high quality stuff and made the car look great so far!

I appreciate your offer and definately might shoot you a PM in the future. Check back in about a month to see what I can do with the PC and his 3" air buffer!

Comment

Just a few updated pics. Will try to get some when the sun is out.

Still need to do the front and back bumpers (remove from car), lower valence and smaller areas. I have some foglights I need to install and some misc trim pieces. Finally I have the shadowline trim I need to install...This is only with 1 coat of sealant as well. I still have the do another pass and then Carnuba which should make it "pop!"

...oh and drop it from 4x4 height

Last edited by PutterMcGavin; 09-14-2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

the paint looks amazing

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

damn. i paid $300 for my e30 and it looks nothing like that!
                sigpic

Comment

good work. now you need new wheels n a drop

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                    the paint looks amazing
                    Thanks! I busted my ass with a Glosshaus kit and still have some to do. It is kind of bittersweet in a way, the car looks DAMN good, too good for all the little dents and dings....:???:

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                    damn. i paid $300 for my e30 and it looks nothing like that!
                    Hey $300 for any E30 is a good deal!

Originally posted by jaye30 View Post
                    good work. now you need new wheels n a drop
                    Appreciate it. Drop before wheels. Thinking Spec E30, just need to save a bit. Not trying to go all out on here yet!

Comment

Wow, thats a far cry from when you brought it to the nceuro meet! Nice!

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by PutterMcGavin View Post

Your Friend?

looks great best $250 ya ever spent but it will get more expensive trust me.
                        "We can't drink here.... This is frat country"

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
                        I'm gonna quote a lot of you later this year.

Comment

that paint is a huge improvement
                          Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
                          every time an M-tech 1 spoiler is destroyed, a baby seal dies.
                          Originally posted by Jparkr
                          The last thing we need are more of the retards on here thinking they are engineers too.
                          87 325:83 jetta coupe:99 volvo c70:99 volvo s70

Comment

Thought I'd post up some new pics. Did some more cleaning, installed a Volvo lip, "new" foglights and finished with the PC work. Still need to install an MTech I wheel, new shifter, do some suspension work, etc, etc.

...still the BEST $250 I've ever spent!

Comment

holy shit that's clean. good find.
                              Flickr
                              Originally posted by Indecline06
                              For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

wow that's amazing dude! Good progress and the car is looking sweet!

Get yourself some new exhaust manifold gaskets and your engine bay will look clean as hell!

Comment

Working...
                                X