Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 318i sedan project - Saving a sedan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoseklamp View Post
    Hey Seth, in my head, you should be able to wire the LED to pins 85 and 87 and be done with it. And with the wipers, I know there are plenty of cars (at least some Chevy's) that had the washer nozzles attached to the wiper arm itself. Gave great coverage and you shouldn't have to drill any holes in the hood, just figure out how to run the tubes.
    Dude, quit tellin my ideas!! Figured that out way to fast! Somewhere in North Dakota (or was it Montana, it's all a blur) I remember looking at the wipers on the Uhaul and noticed their placement. Pretty slick I think.
    sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
      Thats not quite how I had it worked out in my head the other day. Dangit, why didnt I just write it down! lol
      I'm rather curious now, cause that's what I thought you were saying. Round 2 phone convo!
      sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

It's official. I am going into withdrawal's from not being able to work on my car! Even if I find a space to work on it, my school term is not looking very friendly this fall with 20 credits on the schedule...

I've just started researching electrical components to see if it's possible to construct the fan controller rather than buy it. The flex-a-lite unit I want is a little too spendy for my budget. Average daytime temps are about 30 degrees higher than when I left Portland. At least a temp activated unit would be ideal for the time being. Two times I forgot that I need to keep a closer eye on engine temp and realized that I was a touch past 1/2. At least I know that this fan does provide enough air flow to drop temps promptly.

The only update really is that the car has seen a long trip almost every weekend since moving (which it never did before) and it loves them. Not having a/c has made them a bit noisy as the windows need to be open. That gets old quick with the 65mph freeway speeds here (and ends up more like 75mph).

An interesting item is how much better gas mileage is on the freeway. Around town I end up around 300 miles per tank. With just freeway driving I'm close to 400 miles per tank.
        sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

Seth, I'll do you one better than buying a Flex-A-Lite or making one. PM me your address and I'll ship you one! I have one that I used when I was on a stock DME, but now that my ViPEC can do everything possible, its sitting unused.

And I totally feel you on both the lack of garage space, and lack of time. This fall is going to be interesting, working full time + 16cr = zero free time... Lets hope I can get the e36 done before classes start.

The fuel mileage I totally believe. My Eta gets ~280-300mi/tank in the city with minor freeway driving, and with almost all freeway driving I managed 413mi last year.
          :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
          '93 325iS
          '99 528iT

Comment

Generous offer - thanks!! I'll be sure to put it to good use. :) Out of curiosity, what model controller is it?

I'm thinking 20 credits and only possibly working part time is nuts. I have no idea how you do 16+ and work full time (and still have time for cars and a girlfriend).
            sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

bump.
              -Nick
              Originally posted by 87e30
              First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Going to be fs soon actually so I hear.
                sigpic

Comment

gotta bump this. Our cars both had similar accidents. Great thread!!!

Comment

I miss Seth. Random bump from pulling up the alpine deck and pg6s. Hope we can have a brew n BBQ again soon my friend!
                    sigpic

Comment

Curtly - still have it, and started working on the car again. Had fun tearing the seats down to the frames, then beating/welding them back into shape (they were amazingly fu'kd). Need new recline mechanisms but otherwise vastly improved. Can't wait to get it back on the road!

BBQ & brews would be awesome! Ah how times have changed... cars are fun, but would especially love for the little ones to meet. They are awesome and lil' h is a riot.
                      sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

Working...
                      X