Old Blue 2002 (1974 BMW 2002 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its like my cars big brother!!!

Love it! See the oil cooler at the front? Yeah this thing has an m20 in it!
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

that things awesome.

Comment

Ma Magnaflow.

And the beginning of my fridge sticker collection.
        sigpic
        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

awesome! magnaflow looks bad ass i need some stainles shit like that as well as new tubing headers and downpipes.... and as for the fridge, i need to sticker the one in my garage :D

Comment

Love the neverbeen. lol

Love your car. Does that muffler have a blue tint or is that the lighting?

Originally posted by Roysneon
            $5 shipped?
            Originally posted by MarkD
            You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Ones the girl friend and I move into a bigger place this mini fridge will end up in my man cave. Figured I may as well start now ;)
              I am soooooo fracking excited to hear this m20 start with the exhaust I am putting together. I think it will sound really good!
              sigpic

Comment

Lighting and iPhone = blue tint
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
                  Love the neverbeen. lol

Love your car. Does that muffler have a blue tint or is that the lighting?
                  Oh, and if anyone wants a "never been" sticker, Fuel (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/member.php?u=19861) sells them. Got a set of three for $6 shipped. Good guy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Roysneon
                    $5 shipped?
                    Originally posted by MarkD
                    You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

I started working on the diff project. I am having way different problems then I thought I would have. It turns out that I do not need a spacer for the diff cover at all. That part fits fine.
                      The problem I am having is getting the LSD pumpkin properly situated in the case in a way that the crown gear from the LSD makes contact with the gear from the input shaft in the correct way. I just cant seam to get it situated correctly.
                      Here is the small case e30 LSD pumpkin in the 2002 diff case.

The old 2002 open gears.

So here is a picture of the drive flange the way it is spaced out.

If I tighten this drive flange down any more the diff binds up and will not turn anymore. This leads me to believe that by doing so, I am pressing the crown gear from the LSD unit and the gear from the input shaft together way to much, which makes them bind up. I messed with the spacing on this side and this seams to be just right. Any more space and the gears do not make enough contact, and any less space and the bind and don't turn.
                      On the other side the drive flange is all the way in and flush with the diff housing. This is a problem because the baring from the on the LSD unit is not sitting in the out put shaft seal properly which is resulting in the LSD unit not being held in place properly and messing up the contact between the crown gear and input shaft gear.
                      Here are some videos.
                      If I put the diff up on its side, with the spaced out out put flange up, and turn the diff from the input shaft it sounds and works well.

How ever if I put the diff right side up and turn the diff from the input shaft it makes all kinds of bad noises.

I just cant get the LSD unit to sit in the case snugly enough so that it does not move in unwanted directions, and in a way that the two gears contact each other in the right way.
                      I feel like I am just going to have to keep messing with the spacing of the drive flanges to get the LSD unit situated correctly.
                      If anyone has any history with building diffs please chime in!

Cheers!
                      Last edited by deutschman; 10-15-2011, 07:56 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I am going to swap out the ring gears. I think the 2002 gear grooves are a bit shallower then the e30 ones.
                        sigpic

Comment

Are your gear ratios the same on both diffs? I know that you can do what you are trying to do but don't know the details. You may need to use the e30 ring and pinion in the 02 case and i would recommend keeping the ring and pinion gears matched anyway. There is more than one way the gear teeth are cut (they dont interchange) even among different year 2002s.
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Nice job figuring it out today! Also can't believe we survived without an impact wrench for so long.

To the rest of you: if you don't have one, get one. Especially if you need to do something like this.
                            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              Are your gear ratios the same on both diffs? I know that you can do what you are trying to do but don't know the details. You may need to use the e30 ring and pinion in the 02 case and i would recommend keeping the ring and pinion gears matched anyway. There is more than one way the gear teeth are cut (they dont interchange) even among different year 2002s.
                              The gear ratio is 3.64:1. Currently the case houses the e30 LSD pumpkin with a matched set of 3.64:1 2002 ring and pinion gears.

It works really well now. I just switched the ring gear (crown gear) from the 2002 diff onto the e30 LSD pumkin. Now there is a mached set of 3.64:1 ring and pinion gear in the diff. All I need is a new baring (we had to bust one today), and some new seals. I am super stoked! :D
                              sigpic

Comment

What makes this even sweater is that all the parts were free!
                                Nice job figuring it out today! Also can't believe we survived without an impact wrench for so long.
                                Thanks so much for helping James. It is always good spending time with you man!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X