No announcement yet.

M42 Turbo Build (Semi Budget, keepng AC!) No 56k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm confident you can get a 13.9 on that setup.

Comment

^I hope so Danny... not because I need to, but because it would be cool as hell to have an m42 capable of 13's. Should be fun with a set of 3.73's and the new clutch at an autoX.

Here's a shitty cell phone video of the car at the track. This is a 15.4 pass as I didn't get the 15.1 on video. LOL I should upload one of the videos where the clutch is slipping badly... it was horrible.

Youtube Vid
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Moar Work!

Well, not done with this build just yet fellas. Clutch slip got too bad to bear anymore and ordered this:

It came in last week so a couple of days ago I made the e30 fly. Look at that height.

Switching to the 3.73 open diff that came out of my 90 325i project car. I pulled it a couple of days ago. Here it is all cleaned up and waiting to go into the car. Got it installed and refreshed the oil yesterday.

Today work focused on getting the trans out, pulling the clutch/flywheel, and cleaning and painting everything that was going back on the car. Also got the dual mass flywheel to a machine shop for resurfacing. It will be ready tomorrow morning so I can get this thing back together if I hustle. Much more pics to come tomorrow.
        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

You're putting in an open, and taking out the lsd?

You're gonna miss the lsd when you can actually grab with that clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            You're putting in an open, and taking out the lsd?

You're gonna miss the lsd when you can actually grab with that clutch.
            My car had a 4.10 open diff... :(
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

Ah, well that's acceptable I suppose.

Comment

Oomph! Open diff's on a turbo M42 and a new clutch (bad ass clutch)! Wish I had a spare 3.73LSD to donate :(
                Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

^I do too... ;)

Got EVERYTHING back together yesterday. It was not fun at all because I decided to put in new manifold nuts/studs and pulling that and the turbo was not fun at all. Reinstalling it was even worse.

I did run into some setbacks thanks to Spec. They sent the wrong pilot bearing for my car which was a HUGE problem that we didn't figure out until we were trying to get the transmission mated back up. Long story short, I ended up cracking one of the mounting ears off the upper oil pan. After much cursing I repaired the broken ear (JB Weld cured for 24 hours) and moved on.

With the correct pilot bearing everything went on smoothly as it should. Below are the pics I took.

Old clutch disc and pressure plate.

Transmission all cleaned up and ready to go back in.

Spec clutch disc and pressure plate going on.

Here is the JB Weld fix. It's holding really well and I was actually able to torque the bolt down that went through that mounting ear.

Sexy time. That was the last of the pics as I didn't feel much like taking anymore after dealing with the car all day. We did test the clutch and everything seems good. I have a rowdy exhaust leak now as one of the gaskets at the turbo disintegrated upon removal. I am getting that fixed today and also having a 3" magnaflow hi flow cat welded in to quiet her down some. Also to get rid of some of that fuel smell from the exhaust.

Now I can up the boost to 11 or 12 psi again and wait for the head gasket to fail :( I need to retune it again and will keep you guys updated on the progress. I guess the new gearing changes the needs of the ve table in megasquirt. Oh well, this is the easy part... I'm just glad I don't have to be under the car for awhile.
                  91 318is Turbo Sold
                  87 325 Daily driver Sold
                  06 4.8is X5
                  06 Mtec X3
                  05 4.4i X5 Sold
                  90 325i Sold
                  97 328is Sold
                  01 323ci Sold
                  92 325i Sold
                  83 528e Totaled
                  98 328i Sold
                  93 325i Sold

Comment

Well, this project never seems to end.

After driving around with it for a month... I want my 4.10's back. The usability of the gearing is better, and highway pickup is very nice in 3rd with the 3.73's. But damn was the spool time better and the overall "smile" factor was much higher with the 4.10's. I am going to go to the yard soon and see if I can find a 4.10 LSD. If not the 4.10 open diff is going back in.

Also, somewhere along the way the turbo manifold has cracked... so I have a rowdy exhaust leak. I need to pull everything apart again so I can have it all welded up with reinforcements added. This manifold is such a pain in the ass...

Well, just thought I'd keep this thread updated for those that still check it out.
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

:up:
                      sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

nice to hear things are still happening :)

wish i was at this stage already. The joys of modified cars aye :D
                        - Chris
                        Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

nice to hear things are still happening :)

wish i was at this stage already. The joys of modified cars aye :D
                          - Chris
                          Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

how did the small case diff hold up? I'm trying to decide if I should find a medium case 3.73lsd for it, but it sounds like I should just keep the 4.10...

Do you do your own MS tuning? I've basically got my NA map down now, with 12.2-12.7 AFRs at WOT and a tad over 15 at a cruise. 27 mpg city with the MS currently :). and the PWM idle works great. It lasted through an HPDE last weekend with no problems at all and wayyyy more midrange than it ever had before, so I'm happy

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Nice dude, just ran across this and read throught it all. Looks like a stout setup.

How does the exhaust sound? I need to change my rattling muffer, would like something a little different.

Sold.......again.

Comment

Wow, reading this thread is making me really want to bite the bullet and FI my 318. So how does one find the right balance between power and reliability :D
                                '88 325ic - Vert in winter baby!
                                '91 318is - Gone :(
                                '95 530i - Gone :(

Comment

Working...
                                X