X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by ba114 View Post
    thanks for the FMIC pics. Its mandatory that i keep my A/C so its good to know it can be done while still fitting it all behind the valance!
    No problem. Glad this is still helping people.

The car has been running fine though I rarely get to enjoy it anymore. I drive it maybe once a month or so. We just found out we are having our second child so this will most likely be up for sale soon after I go through it and check things out.

Leave a comment:

• ba114
    replied
    thanks for the FMIC pics. Its mandatory that i keep my A/C so its good to know it can be done while still fitting it all behind the valance!

Leave a comment:

• 3toedshewie
    replied
    Loved reading this, have new appreciation for M42 everything.......and 20 MPH turboed.

Leave a comment:

• chodedub
    replied
    Just read through this and thought you would want to know you are still influancing fellow automotive hobbiests

Leave a comment:

• unevolved
    replied
    Bumping your thread because I love it. I saw it on M42Club, but I can't post on there (account never got activated, I don't know who's admin'ing that place...).

Recently picked up an M42-powered sedan, and it's getting some forced induction in the future. I continually go back and forth between supercharged and turbocharged. Turbo for the ease, but a supercharger would be sexy, and I've got the resources at work to make it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Simon S
    replied
    respect earned..

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
    Looks pretty nice. The only thing that jumps out at me is that my afr, especially under wide open throttle, doesn't seem to have all the fluctuation. I'm not really sure what would cause that though. It looks like you're running about 10.5:1 most of the way through the upper rev range, and that is a bit on the low side. Certainly safe and good if you are seeing your temps rise, but I've seen better power and still no detonation or anything at 11:1 or even 11.5:1.
    Thanks, and I agree 100% on leaning it out. I was running more boost before and turned it down (~1psi) without changing my tune. Also I am waiting to get some high impedance injectors before really trying to dial it in perfectly. Low impedance injectors just make it soooooo much more difficult.

Leave a comment:

• gearheadE30
    replied
    Looks pretty nice. The only thing that jumps out at me is that my afr, especially under wide open throttle, doesn't seem to have all the fluctuation. I'm not really sure what would cause that though. It looks like you're running about 10.5:1 most of the way through the upper rev range, and that is a bit on the low side. Certainly safe and good if you are seeing your temps rise, but I've seen better power and still no detonation or anything at 11:1 or even 11.5:1.

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Figured I should post this here as well since it is finally numbers for the car. Also for the guys who are sub'd to this thread and might not see the other one.

Finally got it done for you guys... and for me obviously. There is more power left in it but I only had 3 runs (got 4 though) and I wasn't really tuning a whole lot during the cool downs.

Run 1 (3rd Gear Pull)

Not bad... but not great. 170.74hp and 167.86tq

Run 2 (3rd Gear Pull Added some timing above 5200rpm)

A little better... picked up some torque but left the efan on so had to redo this run. 167.92hp and 170.33tq

Run 3 (3rd Gear Pull Same as above because Efan was left on - Woops)

Still getting better... picked up both hp and torque by turning off the efan. Guess that thing really sucks some juice. 174.88hp and 173.86tq

Run 4... no video. It looks just like the others though.

Guess we should have been running in fourth gear the whole time... now I know for next time. 180.89hp and 208.41tq

There was a hiccup in this pull and I am thinking it is spark blowout. The dyno operator agreed it was probably the case. You can see it on the graph at 4550rpm.

My 3rd gear pulls peaked at a 164kpa and my 4th gear pull peaked at 168kpa. So about 9.5psi is what I am running. I posted my data long for the 4th pull below along with the dyno graph. Let me know what you guys think... suggestions, criticisms, etc. I'm just glad to have numbers on it now even though I'm sure there is more power there.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Bowers
    replied
    I went on an hour long drive a bit ago. There is a bit more vibration at idle (My car idles low, which is contributing to it, I'm sure.), but they improved throttle response, engine braking is better, and they didn't add any cabin noise at road speed. These are real benign. As far as the exact same height, I'm not entirely sure. Even if money was no object, I would still go with these. Here's the guide on M42club for them.

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up on the gaskets. I couldn't remember which gasket brand it was that leaked.

When you get a chance to drive on those motor mounts let me know how they feel if you don't mind. Are they the same height as the m42 hydraulic ones?

Leave a comment:

• Ian Bowers
    replied
    I just replaced my motormounts today with the green 535i mounts. Haven't really driven with them yet, but they're solid rubber. If you're replacing a bunch of gaskets, stay away from VReinz. Replaced every stupid paper gasket on my car with them about 3k ago and they're leaking. Bad. :(

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    ^Thank you. I love driving the car every time I get in it... especially with the air temperature finally hitting less than the surface of the sun.

I've got some things coming for the car in the next couple of months. Was under it tightening a belt when I noticed my engine was sitting suspiciously low. You guessed it, collapsed motor mounts. Sooooo... I am going to do a bunch of stuff at the same time. Going to do head studs, new OEM head gasket/kit, possible o-ringing of the head, fix the stripped valve cover bolt holes (about half of them, thanks PO), new water pump, new chain tensioner, and inspect timing components.

Anyone know of a solid motor mount for these cars? I don't much care for hydraulic. Also anything else I should take care of while the head is off?

Leave a comment:

• Simon S
    replied
    dismayed that I have not posted in this thread yet..

'cause I sure as shit have been reading it..
    mad props !!

Leave a comment:

• Dj Buttchug
    replied
    dammit. i really want to download that file but im on a mac... FML ha

Leave a comment:

Working...
X