Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is so fucking awesome.
    Subscribed.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
      how did the small case diff hold up? I'm trying to decide if I should find a medium case 3.73lsd for it, but it sounds like I should just keep the 4.10...

Do you do your own MS tuning? I've basically got my NA map down now, with 12.2-12.7 AFRs at WOT and a tad over 15 at a cruise. 27 mpg city with the MS currently :). and the PWM idle works great. It lasted through an HPDE last weekend with no problems at all and wayyyy more midrange than it ever had before, so I'm happy
      Stick with the 4.10's. The 3.73's save you gas, but take away a good amount of smile factor. Yep I do my own tuning with MS 1. I want MS 2 though... would like blended MapDot and TPSdot. Also, I can not get my PWM to work correctly with the stock ICV. I would just get the Glen's Garage 3 wire board, but working on this PnP MS has proved to be a PITA for adding circuits. It's built on the 3.57 board so no proto area, and I think all my outputs are used? For now I just run no ICV and deal with rough starts. Runs great after on for 4 or 5 mins.

You're pretty rich for a NA setup at WOT I think. I run 12.0 @ 12psi boost. I would think you'd be better served in the low 13's? Could be wrong.

Originally posted by 91 318is View Post
      Nice dude, just ran across this and read throught it all. Looks like a stout setup.

How does the exhaust sound? I need to change my rattling muffer, would like something a little different.
      Thanks. Right now the exhaust sounds like ass because of the HUGE exhaust leak under the hood. Without any leaks I'd imagine it sounds pretty good. I added the 3" Magnaflow high flow cat to take out a bunch of rasp and rice. Can't wait for no exhaust leaks.

Originally posted by BlueBMW View Post
      Wow, reading this thread is making me really want to bite the bullet and FI my 318. So how does one find the right balance between power and reliability :D
      Do it. It brings such a smile to your face everytime you drive it.

LOL the right balance between power and reliability is right before parts start breaking. ;)
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

subscribed for future ref great job!

Comment

what does your timing look like at WOT?

Comment

Subscribed for M42 POWAH!!!
            "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death."
            -Patrick Henry, n.d.

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
              what does your timing look like at WOT?
              Will post my maps when done tuning. I have to redo them now that I got the car back together.

So, I put the 4.10's back in the car and removed my turbo manifold and had it rewelded (it had cracked EVERYWHERE). No wonder I had so many exhaust leaks. Got the car back together today and took it for a short spin. It's running a bit rich now that it doesn't have those huge leaks, but holy hell does it spool a helluva lot faster. I should have taken pictures of the leaks... lol around the turbo flange had cracked 3/4 of the way around the circumference.

Going to take it to the exhaust shop on monday to have them weld a joint into the downpipe/exhaust area so I don't have to keep dropping the entire exhaust anytime I want to service something. After that I will post videos of how the exhaust is actually supposed to sound with no exhaust leaks. Stay tuned.
              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

Very nice; good to see the progress. What did you use to move the AC line? I would very much like to keep AC, but that doesn't seem particularly possible where the line is from the factory.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Nope you will definitely have to move the AC line if you want to keep it. What I did was take the line to a hydraulics shop and had them cut it. They cut it at the top where it has the o-ring and fitting, and they cut it down at the connection to the compressor. Then I had them use 2 feet of high pressure hose with compression fittings on each end.

That hose is pretty rigid, but it is flexible enough so that I could run the line down the front of the fender and back to the compressor. This gave me plenty of clearance for oil drain and other turbo components. You can see the line at the bottom of the pic below. Best part of this solution was they only charged me $16 to make the line!

91 318is Turbo Sold
                  87 325 Daily driver Sold
                  06 4.8is X5
                  06 Mtec X3
                  05 4.4i X5 Sold
                  90 325i Sold
                  97 328is Sold
                  01 323ci Sold
                  92 325i Sold
                  83 528e Totaled
                  98 328i Sold
                  93 325i Sold

Comment

wow....that's a really good price. Yeah, that was the picture I noticed it in, haha. looks like I'm gonna have to convert to r134a now though hah

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

No, R12 will go through that line just fine. The service fitting for the AC is on the top part before the bottom hard line fitting.
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

well, its more that I don't really have access to r12, but I can get r134a pretty easy. Of course, that is all academic now that I realize my wastegate mount is right where the AC compressor is... Either I have to lose the AC or make custom mounts to put it where the PS pump is or something.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                          Of course, that is all academic now that I realize my wastegate mount is right where the AC compressor is... Either I have to lose the AC or make custom mounts to put it where the PS pump is or something.
                          Weaksauce. Looks like you're boned unless you want to move your wastegate, piping, and BOV. But I think I'd do that before moving the compressor.
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

See, I don't mind moving the piping or anything else; I just don't have a way to move the wastegate. Its about as optimal a design as I've seen for getting the wastegate close to the collector and for keeping the entire thing true twin-scroll. If I'm lucky (which historically, I'm not hah) then maybe I'll be able to make a plate that moves the AC compressor mount downwards about 3 inches, and I *might* be okay...

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Got the car back from the welder yesterday evening. Holy hell, night and day difference. My manual boost controller is WAY off now (I guess because there aren't any leaks) so I have to re adjust that. The exhaust sounds wicked awesome and with the 3" high flow cat all of the rice is gone at WOT as well.

Spool time is ridiculous now and begins at about 2600. If I drop it into 4th on the highway the boost gauge jumps from 0 to 12psi (my limiter on MS) almost instantly. Totally different animal now.

Vids coming later if I can get off my @$$, 3 days into P90X and it's kicking my aforementioned @$$.
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled
                              98 328i Sold
                              93 325i Sold

Comment

Exhaust/engine bay video. Enjoy. I love driving this car now. Exhaust sound is subtle and then sounds sporty and euro under full throttle. Loving it.

Let me know what you guys think.

91 318is Turbo Sold
                                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                                06 4.8is X5
                                06 Mtec X3
                                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                                90 325i Sold
                                97 328is Sold
                                01 323ci Sold
                                92 325i Sold
                                83 528e Totaled