'77 MkI Rabbit content inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 MkI Rabbit content inside!

Some of you might have seen this in the VW Thread, but I took a few pics tonight, and thought I would start a formal project thread.

This is my most recent acquisition, a '77 MkI Rabbit. I found it in a field in front of a house the next town over, and I've been seeing it there for a couple of years. The other day, I finally decided to drive up to the house and ask if it was for sale. Turns out it was, and the guy only wanted $100 for it. I was back 2 days later with a car trailer.

I addition to getting the car for $100, I also got 2 engines (without heads), with manual trannies (the car is fail-0-matic), so I'll definitely be swapping it to a manual. With the exception of a few areas of minor rust, and a bit of a tear in the lower part of the rear valance, the body is perfect.

So here's a few pics to get started, and I'll continue to update this thread with the progress I make. I'm planning to take it pretty damn low, get it on some good wheels (plan to have a few sets), and get it as clean as possible. My main goal with this project is going to be to do everything as cheaply as possible, and make/fab as much as I can.

Here it is before I picked it up:

And here's a few pics of it in my garage, got started on a little bit of the teardown, and put a spare set of wheels/tires on it so I'd be able to roll it around.

Nice find! Should be an interesting project

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

I can't wait to see this get started. This thing is going to be awesome, I can tell.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

what a deal!

Comment

subscribed !
          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

now you can put the VW recaros in a VW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
              now you can put the VW recaros in a VW!!!
              zing!
              http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

lol, subscribed... Saw you post pics in cell thread I think, was intrigued, glad I saw this one pop up in the projects forum.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                Originally posted by DTM190
                "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Cool shit. If I were you I'd just clean it up really well and drive it as is. Maybe just 5 speed (or is it 4?), new (not cut) springs, proper dampers, some stock wheels and drive the shit out of it. That paint seems to be coming back nicely. Where's the rust? And maybe I missed it, but does it have spark plugs?

I have some strange desire to do the same with a Scirocco.

Comment

you gonna keep it diesel?
                    e30s r kool

Comment

Please tell me you'll be leaving it orange!
                      I love that color.

Originally posted by Janderson
                      you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

Nice find Josh.

First Cheap mod = Remove bumpers!

Can't wait to see the progress. *cough* 1.8t & big turbo *cough*

Comment

Great find. Would love one of these myself. I am looking forward to seeing it progress.

Comment

this is going to be fun! i like it.
                            sigpic
                            "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

first pic -- appears it had no windshield?

I'd be concerned about the wiring under the dash, etc.

If it is truly rust free, that is a great find.

Put an 8v turbo in it.
                              Current Cars
                              2014 M235i
                              2009 R56 Cooper S
                              1998 M3
                              1997 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X