No announcement yet.

'77 MkI Rabbit content inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the comments! To answer a few questions, it is fail-o-matic, but I got two 4-speed manual transmissions with it for free, so one of those is definitely going in. And it's not a diesel, it's a 1.6L 4 cylinder. I'd like to do a 16V in it down the road, we'll see what I find for cheap.

As far as suspension goes, I will putting it down pretty damn low, and I'll be doing coilovers. One of the great things about this car is that just about everything for it is going to be dirt cheap, including the coilovers I'm putting on it.

That's correct that it didn't have a windshield in it, but I did get it, and we don't think it was sitting out there without it for too long, because the interior isn't really that weather-beaten, and the dash is almost perfect. And for those that know anything about MkI's, the headliner is also nearly perfect. Wiring under the dash is a mess, but Andy will take care of that, and I did get a whole new fuse panel with it, too.

I started to polish out the paint by hand last night in a few spots just for shits and gigs, just using Griot's polish and a hand pad, I'll let the pics speak:

And hell yes I'm keeping it this color! It's almost henna! :D

Comment

Settle on a budget and a fairly firm idea of where you'll stop with this car, Josh. They're a hoot, but they are like holes on wheels that money never quite fill. I am good friends with David Herlihy who owns the vwvortex MkI project car. While it turned out spectacular, I think he might be the first to say never again.
      - Sco

Keep Our City CLEAN & SAFE Do Your Part

Comment

Man thats too cool. Love the Rabbit, my buddy just picked up a super clean '83 Jetta too.

I think I may have some Mk1 stuff from when I used to be into them. Possibly a set of H4s and some taillights, but I can't be sure. Let me dig around in my storage and see what I come up with. If you're interested, you can have it for the cost of shipping.
        Originally posted by BillBrasky
        E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
        1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
        1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
        1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
        2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Originally posted by Scotaku View Post
          Settle on a budget and a fairly firm idea of where you'll stop with this car, Josh. They're a hoot, but they are like holes on wheels that money never quite fill. I am good friends with David Herlihy who owns the vwvortex MkI project car. While it turned out spectacular, I think he might be the first to say never again.
          I'm just not planning on going that nuts with it. I'm not going to do a whole new paint job, or elaborate interior, or $2k wheels. Just going to get it nice and clean, do some cool and fun stuff to it here and there, and have fun with it.

Comment

keep us posted.

I hate virtually all VWs, except for Mk1 rabbit/GTI/Golf.
            Last edited by Jand3rson; 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM.
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

I fucking hate you Josh. Fuck you.

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                keep us posted.

I hate virtually all VWs, except for Mk1 rabbit/GTI/Golf.
                Same, I like MkII's, but not nearly as much. And of course, gotta love the aircooled cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                  Same, I like MkII's, but not nearly as much. And of course, gotta love the aircooled cars.
                  unless they leave you stranded on I5 in Los Banos, CA coming back from LA after getting some tail. then fuck them, too.

Comment

Get a high speed buffer on that paint and it will really shine.

Comment

Definitely, I just don't have one of my own. I'm for sure not going to do the whole car by hand, I could never get as deep into the paint by hand as an orbital or a DA could.

Comment

You don't want an orbital or DA if you are using cutting compound though. You want the heavy duty high speed buffer. If you are just waxing and polishing then the orbital is good -- they are safer but don't cut all that deep. You going to do a full cut/polish/wax on it?

Comment

I'm not really sure, I don't know that much about detailing, I just want to get the paint looking as good as I can. I do have this to contend with on the roof:

And this around most of the bottom part of the windshield area:

Around the windshield, we're going to fix those holes, and then once I get the paint polished out, try to find as close of a match as I can and spray it. As far as the roof goes, you can call me a VW hoodride poseur, but I actually kind of like the rust on the roof, it goes along with the whole premise of the car. I kind of want to just clean up the paint around it, repainting it would be a very expensive prospect.

Comment

I say spray the cowl and roofskin in black. Gloss or satin.

Comment

That's what my brother in law said. Might have to do a few chops and see what I thinks.

Comment

Or checkered vinyl like a Mini.

Comment

Working...
                                X