No announcement yet.

e30guydownunder: Project M42, probs definitely got more power than your S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damn! Took me half an hour to get through all of it, but it looks great! Congrats!

Comment

There should be more beer drinking among the E30 guys on the Coast/Newcastle...

Great thread, good car. Interesting to see how it goes...
      Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

Iain, name the place and time, I agree! I need to get down and check out your left over e30 parts anyway ;)
        - Chris
        Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Hmmm... Jan some time?

More than welcome to come down, talk crap, drink beer and kick BMW parts around my garage :p
          Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

Jan is doable. Hopefully things don't end up taking too long on mine but we shall see. Would really like the get this thing going for the first event in Feburary :crazy:

I'm always down for drinking beer and kicking bmw parts around.
            - Chris

Comment

If you need a hand, lemme know. I have contacts who know a lot about tuning, especially turbo cars and cars on E85 (a good mate is the bloke who designed/built the E8 & E11v2 ECUs for Haltech)
              Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

holy mother of updates! nice

Comment

Haha mate that is the last year of my life, not like it was a days work ofr anything :)

Got another update :)

Just ran out of gas! And its 5:30, so thats progress haulted till tomorrow. Just uploading some pictures now.

Wait for it

Wait for it

BAM something is missing:

Yep thats right, engine mounts!
                  I didn't quite get to finish the gusseting on the passenger side mount:

And I'm giving up on squeezing the turbo down the side. Everything works better with a top mount so what ever:

The finished Drivers side mount:

Should support the thing no matter how much power its making!
                  Cheers folks, now to work out what I'm going to do with myself for a few hours with no welder :crazy:
                  - Chris

Comment

anyhow, an update is due! I've finally shaken the multiple hangovers and scrapped together some time in the shed. This is all post an adventure to the wreckers where i picked up two perhaps suitable radiators (one with fans/shrouds etc) and a set of HKS springs and adjuster out of a jazz (mostly got these for the adjusters but you never know). Anyway, the price? It was good :D

So today I've finished off the cooler mount I began and about 90% completed the lower mounts for the radiator, just need to find my other OEM gearbox mount and paint em up. Then a couple of mounts on top for the radiator and the intercooler and bob's your uncle.

The view from the front:

And the back (note ou cn see the lower radiator mount in the works):

First person to guess the origin of the radiator gets a prize. In the mean time check this out for luck of the draw:

Thats a late M20 radiator hose and its damn near perfect. NICE. The radiator is roughly double the volume of the M42 one so should do the trick. And having copper tanks we can modify the lower hose connection to suit our application and will also be adding a couple of extra ports (for temp senders and turbo outlets etc). I'll also be using one of the fans/shrouds off the other radiator and with some mounts this should be more than enough to keep the car cool in the pits.

I've mouted the radiator level with the bottom edge of the chassis, so low as possible for CofG but still protected :)

Have also got some thoughts in the works for the remote oil filter in the form of the oil filter canister off an M30, including thermostat and oil cooler take off points (free).

Turbo manifold is probably 70% complete. Some final welding of runners to do and then facing the flanges.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas (I sure did) and have a Happy New Year.
                    - Chris

Comment

Looks great buddy.

Comment

Skid pics not loading. <-- you should fix that issue STAT.

If you need to borrow fan-type stuff Project Meat Flange's shit is just sitting around in my garage if you wanted to borrow it for comparison/fab purposes...? I doubt the M40 radiator will cool a grumpy 6.0 :p
                        Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

Cheers guys. And Iain skid pics will come ASAP and electric fans only here....standard fan is great but given the amount of time I'm actually using the electric fan currently on the car, I could probably go without especially with this bigger radiator.

No pics at the moment, but turbo manifold is about 90%, need to machine the flanges and a couple of tidy ups (porting etc) and its done.

Made a lower alternator mount for my new 55 amp alternator and got a mount between the top of the intercooler and radiator, just need to make a nice stainless steel shield up to tie the two to the radiator support panel.
                          Last edited by e30guydownunder; 12-30-2009, 06:16 PM.
                          - Chris

Comment

Heres the progress thus far:

Couple of slow updates...

Dump Pipe flange has been faced and a bit more progress has been made:

Alternator sitting on its mount. Just waiting for the wreckers to open up and go get a tensioner for the top side:

How it sits currently:

My tentative deadline of the event in Feburary has been scrapped. I will build it at my liesure and when its done is when I will go to the dyno. Till then I will work on a bunch of improvements (the turbo, braking, maybe intake) and keep driving the car as is from last season. Or until the current tyres dont pass scrutineering :p
                            - Chris

Comment

I drink too much and work slowly but fuck this will be a good car once its done :)

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                              Been taking it easy, back at work now and funnily enough i sorta got a bit enthuiastic...great timing.

Anyway I got a nice lil package today. Some turbo bits:

Still waiting for all my Couplers to get here:

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                              Another slow weekend, but solid progress non the less. I mounted my thermo fan on the radiator. Dad helped me out with a solid start on the radiator/intercooler shroud. Thats coming up real nice and will do the trick (There are some rolled ribs in the top section of the shroud, didn't come out in the picture). Also had a play with the intercooler pipe.

I also made a solid start on the relocation of the oil filter. Just need to weld the bracket to the chassis. The blanking plate needs to be drilled and tapped for the inlet/outlet ports yet, and I need to work out where the oil temp/pressure and turbo feed are going to go. Now thats left with the oil filter/cooler is the lines (which are pretty much sorted for a good price ;)) and then the take off plate on the block.

- Chris

Comment

Just a lil update from the pst couple of days.

Got my Take off plate nearly 100%. Just need to fit the top port a bit better and then weld the reducing bush in.

And here is the start I have made on me custom sump. I recon it will come out fairly well, time will tell.

(Yes that back plate is recycled steel, free material WIN)
                                - Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X