VNE30 M-fiddy time.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • twothrees
    replied
    The inside of the engine looks like it was just rebuilt, it is so clean. Very nice.

    But it still pisses me off!!! Okay,I'm glad you got it; I can't wait until you install that in your car so that I can drive it but then it will really piss me off.

    Thanks again for welding that part up, you saved me several days of waiting around for a new one.

    Leave a comment:


  • bejbis
    replied
    I really don't want to brag, but I think this may be the cleanest motor ever. There isn't the first sign of any deposits anywhere in the head. I'm sure its been gone through fairly recently. The VIN plate on the back of the head is still there so i doubt its been hot tanked.

    Leave a comment:


  • dashboardmonkey
    replied
    wow, nice.

    keep us updated

    Leave a comment:


  • bejbis
    replied
    Originally posted by 325ix
    Wow I really like your car, the bbs looks great with the chrome window trim and the spoiler is awesome, e28 mtech1?
    Yep, im really digging the RS's right now, however they rub really bad due to the spacers im running with them in combo with the tire size. and yes, it is a e28 mtech spoiler.

    josh, I have a little experence playing with obd1 systems and have a couple friends who can help me with it for when some sort of FI gets thrown on this motor, so obd1 seems to be where im headed with this. Plus, with so much obd1 info its hard to turn it down.

    Leave a comment:


  • 325ix
    replied
    Wow I really like your car, the bbs looks great with the chrome window trim and the spoiler is awesome, e28 mtech1?

    Leave a comment:


  • TexasTerp
    replied
    clean car and motor! Looking forward to seeing the swap progress

    Leave a comment:


  • jackbenny
    replied
    Originally posted by bejbis
    Welp, i found a NV m50 out of a e34 for 200$ complete that im thinking about picking up. its 2 hours away but it should have all the swap parts i need to get this motor along with the swap.

    Jack, Is it jack? or josh? im unsure on if ill go with the slips or the bbs, but the BBS have good tires on them so they are on the car for the time being.
    It's Josh but I'll still answer to Jack as it's been a nick name for some time. Long story and not very good. I can bore you with some time. ;)

    I have some OBD2 parts available should you decide to go against the grain with your swap. I liked the warm fuzzy feeling I got from all the OBD1 information available so I went that way.

    Leave a comment:


  • bejbis
    replied
    Welp, i found a NV m50 out of a e34 for 200$ complete that im thinking about picking up. its 2 hours away but it should have all the swap parts i need to get this motor along with the swap.

    Jack, Is it jack? or josh? im unsure on if ill go with the slips or the bbs, but the BBS have good tires on them so they are on the car for the time being.

    Leave a comment:


  • jackbenny
    replied
    Yeah, I'll be supplying the y-pipe, the cat, the muffler and the resonator/muffler. A bunch of us at work need exhaust work done but none of us have taken the leap to find a shop. I at least have the excuse that the car is in another state.

    Are you keeping the BBS or switching to the slipstreams? Those BBS sure look nice.

    I look forward to reading more about this swap.

    Leave a comment:


  • bejbis
    replied
    I was planning on buying a few mandrel bent stainless pipes, and throwing something together. it shouldnt be tooo hard. If you need someone to do you up a custom mandrel bent stainless exhaust in mobile I know a shop that does good work, but they will cost a pretty penny.

    Leave a comment:


  • jackbenny
    replied
    Nice motor Dan.

    Have you figured out what you're going to do exhaust wise yet? I'm still trying to get some recommendations for an exhaust shop on the eastern shore but am open to Mobile as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Sexy time.

    Leave a comment:


  • bejbis
    replied
    Pictures
    89 325i


    m52/m50/s50? Who knows?





    Leave a comment:


  • bejbis
    started a topic VNE30 M-fiddy time.

    VNE30 M-fiddy time.

    This thread is just a report of progress on my 24v swap into my 89 325i. Detailing my thoughts, problems and shenanigans along the way.


    So, after looking and waiting, I finally found a 24v motor that suited my needs and my budget. From what i know about the motor, it is a M52 block, M50 head, and MIGHT have S50 cams. The engine was in a Tuner motorsport e36 racecar, and was pulled, running to make way for a euro S52. I was told from the PO that I should assume that the rings/bearings were replaced at some point in the past, that it had 'alot' of miles on it, and that it could go either way on the m3 cams. So until I verify some things, there will be a lot of speculation flying around here.

    As of right now, I just got the engine back to my garage. And need to borrow a friends micrometer to measure the cam lift to verify the m3 cams. Ive read the markings on the cams are useless, and the only for sure way to verify M3 cams is to measure the lift. If anyone can verify, that would be great.

    All things considered, I think I did well with my purchase of this engine. I don't feel it was cheap, nor expensive, and that both parties got a fair deal. I will need quite a few parts to make this a full motor. But this has to be the cleanest 24v ive ever seen. This is how I picked the motor up this morning. Im assuming it hasnt been cleaned since i dont know when, both the external and internal of the engine is superb.

    These are the parts I will need. Assuming the m50/52 blocks accept the same basic parts.

    m50 Intake manifold - CHECK
    m50 alternator
    m50 a/c compressor
    m50 throttle body - CHECK
    HFM - CHECK
    413 ECU - CHECK
    chip for m3 cams
    e34 oil pan/pickup/dipstick - CHECK
    e28 rubber mounts
    modify transmission mount
    Wire harness adapter - CHECK
    Brake booster - CHECK

    Coils, e36 engine mounts, e36 wire harness, exhaust manifolds, e34 throttle cable and a few other things I already have. The list makes up some of the major parts. I plan on using my stock clutch setup/transmission

    Ill add some pictures to the next post, and im sure ill keep this thread updated with progress and pictures as i get to them. My goal is to have the car down for as little time as possible during the swap. So as much as i can do beforehand will get documented.

    -Dan
    Last edited by bejbis; 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM.
Working...