Budget M42 turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget M42 turbo build

Well, i finally decided that the M42 just doesn't make enough power. the plan is to run .5 bar of boost on the stock internals using a Garrett/perkins TA3107 turbo. I have the manifold, Tial 38mm wastegate, a downpipe, 36 lbs/hr injectors (which I'm not sure will be enough yet) an XSpower intercooler (read ebay; it actually seems to be pretty nice), a 3" MAF from a BMW of some sort, and some other assorted parts. Engine management will be Megasquirt II v3, with the stock ECU controlling all of the other vehicle functions where possible.

I'm going to start by just converting to Megasquirt and tuning NA, so I'll document my adventures with that here. Megasquirt should be installed in about 2 weeks at the latest.

things I still need to do/buy:
    3 more coil drivers for the M42's coil-per-plug ignition
    IAT sensor
    fabricate a wastegate into exhaust pipe
    Possibly find a new BOV in better condition
    Re-weld a small hole in the manifold
    rebuild the turbo

thoughts? Opinions? Am I crazy to turbo a 225k mile M42? We'll find out haha

Project M42 Turbo

Started building the megasquirt stimulator. For anyone who saw it and thought that it was too difficult to solder, it's not bad at all. Everything is very clearly labeled, to the point where you don't really need instructions or anything to do it.

Also, I think I'll be needing something more like 40 lbs/hr injectors; these apparently won't support much more than about 175 hp.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Go with the green 42lb bosch for your injectors.
      There cheap and common(came in a mustang?)

Ive been working on installing VEMS in my 318is. Its been tough, steep learning cure, I'm pretty inexperienced at wiring, computers but i'll get it done.
      my motor has 185k haha

Good info here

Hunter

Hunter
      We're out there in here.

Comment

+1 on the Mustang Injectors, can be had for cheap on ebay. I needed something a lil bigger for my build though :D

Subscribed
        - Chris
        Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

subscribed to this. whats your budget?

Comment

i've already given you input on m42club, but honestly, i have to question whether megasquirt is really worth the cash/effort for half a bar. m42 guys have gone to 10-12psi on motronic with the AFM. if your goal isn't stupid amounts of power then you don't really need the tunability... 24lb injectors and a rising-rate will get you to 7psi.
            past:
            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:
            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Those injectors will work fine.

I ran 7psi on 29lbers.

Comment

What manifold are you using?

Comment

Jesse30-about $2500 plus whatever I can make selling parts

DK-the reason I'm going megasquirt is because I will probably up the boost later and run lower compression. I just don't have the money to do that right now. Also, the car sees enough track time that I want it to run as perfectly as possible in the name of longevity. When I upgrade my car, I try to make it run as close to OEM as possible. From what I heard, the rrfpr setup doesn't achieve that, especially at higher boost. And besides, I already bought megasquirt haha.

Danny-good to know. Although I think I just found 6 42-lbs bosch green tops in the basement haha

CO318is-its a custom manifold, split flow with a T3 (i think) flange and a fitting for a 38mm Tial wastegate. As with almost everyone else, it is a top-mount setup.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Subscribed to this because I'm wanting to turbo my m42 down the road, the only roadblock in my research has been the ecu tuning because I don't know squat about electronics and there's no real clear instructions on turbo m42 ecu tuning.
                    1990 S50 goodness.

Comment

yeah, I can understand that one. I've never done it before either, but part of the reason that I'm using megasquirt is so that I can learn about it. I'll try to keep the thread updated with all of the megasquirt info, but that is still a little ways off.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Subscribed, I'm a sucker for turbo builds :)

Comment

Interested to see how this goes. I am heading back to the U.S. with a 318is in my possession that has a blown m42. I am considering a turbo m42 or a s50 but it seems like some people are having a lot of luck with the turbo set ups, and I feel like the turbo m42 is still going to weigh less than the S50.

Comment

yeah, plus there are already a ton of swap cars running around. Yes, I know I could have done an M50/M52 swap for about the same money, but I've grown attached to the M42 haha.

Anyways, I did make some progress today. Got the compressor and turbine housings pulled of the turbo, and the seals are BAD. It hasn't been used in awhile and there was still oil in the compressor housings. Of course, I'm going to put new bearings in too, even though they still have a bit of life left in them. Pics of the CHRA and the compressor housing:

No contact marks!

Also finished building JimStim v1.4, although my board says it is actually a v1.5. For those who don't know, the JimStim is an expanded stimulator for testing the Megasquirt controller, and is vital for modern BMW engines because it supports up to 6 virtual ignition coils where the normal one only supports 1. It's really a pretty simple build and didn't take too long. More pics:

And here is a little teaser pic of sorts of about half of the parts I have accumulated, if that haha:

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Subscribed.

I want to do this same thing to my Alpine 318is.
                              Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Working...
                              X