X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE:

Time to step this sh*t up a bit.

Cold Airbox time.

Big thanks for Ollie's cad skills in sorting this out from his airbox design and to my dad for cutting the mock ups and no thanks to stationary warehouse for charging me $20 per sheet of 1.5mm thick cardboard.
    Dad runs a cutting business which specailises in cutting materials / foam / plastics / composites etc. Company is called cutlines.

Anyways here we go..

Top down view

3d

The design at Dads work.

measuring the card

VIDEO: explaining how to program the design for the different tools (Pen, Knife, pizza wheel, hole punch etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ44KuXIC6k

Setting up the drag knife for depth

Tooling up the head

Air pressure check.

Marking the the 'origin' on the card with laser. This will be the return or known point on the card.

VIDEO: card being cut
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXFVh0nq7uI

photos :)

this is seriously the best way to prototype :D

Sorting out the fold lines with the perf tool

whole system

Comment

Needed to make some room first ...

Out comes the PITA bracket

VIDEO: Time to cut some sh*t

few adjustments to make as you can see .. I also need to buy a silicon 135 bend and alloy 89mm joiner

After this I ran around and re measured everything and marked it on the prototype where changes need to be made. We will do this process again and try the card up at the car next time. Once its all matches its off the the laser cutters to cut this out of anodised alloy :)
      Last edited by HybridNz; 04-10-2010, 04:37 AM.

Comment

I also decided to give mounting the new radiator fan a crack... was plesantly suprised it wasn't the end of the world and I didnt need to fabricate any mounts. I just used old parts kicking around the workshop for brackets .. worked a treat! :)

e36 pusher fan

gave it a clean up with some decreaser and an airgun

placed it in the location to workout if it would fit .. and it does

The bumpers were just getting in the road so off they came :)

Needed to make up some brackets from old parts.

The bottom just bolted pretty much to the bottom lip

the top just needed some extra metal .. which I found and converted :)

All finished and I tested it up to temprature and connected a battery pack to see it bring the temp down .. it worked :)

Also note the FL smile headlights im gonna chuck on

MMMMMMM smilies

e30's are the only car I know of that actually look just as tuff with no bumpers as they do with them :D

Comment

To mock-up such complex 3-D part, you could simply start with sheets of paper, and draw/cut as many times as needed until you get the proper tight shape, then make your drawing according the pieces of paper you mocked-up. Chances are that it will require very little correction.
          Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

cool stuff, but yeah, it seems you are trying to way overengineer that box.

Comment

haha, I should of mentioned that it is an existing design for an m20 engine from our race series here in NZ. Im modifiying it to fit the s50 plenium design so while the paper method would work, it would take al ot more time to do it from scratch.

PS lee ... love your brakes. they serve me well.
              Last edited by HybridNz; 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I am watching your wheels. They are gorgious.

Lee
                Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

cool :) once this is all together and I do the photo shoots youre welcome to use them on your website.

Comment

Update [Special edition]

wheels are back.

testing the caps (not pressing them in just yet .. will let the paint harden another week)

custom black anodised bbs bolts

B)

Comment

Hell yeah this is going to be sweet!! that's the colour I want to paint my wheels when I next rebuild them!

R.H.D
                      M-technic I club

Comment

I like the airbox, probably the most professional I've seen done here on R3v period. The wheels are fucking SEXAY!

Comment

Comment

Sounds fantastic, looks fantastic, goes fantastically well...

Yep, you scored the trifecta. Congrats on a great car!
                            Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Love your build!!! :D

When using the Treehouse racing S50 --> E30 wiring loom adapter, did you manage to hide it behind the firewall trim?
                              1987 BMW E30 M3 RB26
                              2016 VW Polo 1.2 TSI R-Line

Originally posted by 5spoke
                              Fucking norway and your sick clean ass e30's! Yes i am yelling!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Horsepower View Post
                                Love your build!!! :D

When using the Treehouse racing S50 --> E30 wiring loom adapter, did you manage to hide it behind the firewall trim?
                                It was the one from AKG Motorsport. and yeap all tucked away nicely

Comment

Working...
                                X