Getting rid of the S52...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • YetiX
    replied
    In. Looks like this'll be done right.

    Leave a comment:


  • Luis325
    replied
    Start working in this asap!!
    Hahaha

    Leave a comment:


  • 87e30
    replied
    Originally posted by Massive Lee
    That Euro e30 weights around 2380lbs (400 less than its US cousin). Right off the bat, it makes the car more nimble and faster. Add a 340hp motor, and you get a go-kart with a jet engine on its back.

    Can't wait to see the developements, especially around the brake actuation.
    Where does the weight savings come from?

    Leave a comment:


  • JoeyBones
    replied
    Please, just PLEASE do your best to document things. I could see this becoming more and more popular!

    i'm also assuming that the M54 would use much of the same work/info/parts..... ?
    Last edited by JoeyBones; 11-15-2010, 09:14 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • rThor432
    replied
    Oh man, it's been a while since I've been on this site.. Hopefully I'll have some more updates soon. I honestly haven't touched the [E30] car in months. The last thing I did was install an M20 and G260 so that the car could be driven, but I haven't even done that because I never got around to finishing the 5-lug after I found out that the second set of M3 strut housings I bought was bent (that was getting expensive). I moved to a new shop a couple months ago and everything has been hectic while I/we are getting settled into their new building. The place is huge and the potential is even bigger.

    Originally posted by Massive Lee
    Can't wait to see the developements, especially around the brake actuation.
    Yeah, it's funny that you mention that.. I had a good setup drafted and measured that should work fine. But I haven't thought about it in months and now I realize that off the top of my head I cannot even remember what it was! I have an idea of what it was, but I won't say anything until it's mounted and functioning. I'll have to start digging through the garage again..

    Leave a comment:


  • e30polak
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    If you go with DTA or ViPeC, the tunability and power potential is just staggering. Jason89i has a bone stock S54 with DTA S100, and it pumps out 326 whp... that is just sick.

    That's 100 whp more than a healthy S50US with most of the bolt-ons.
    While a stand alone may maximize the up most power potential of most motors, not many tuners can achieve the same low end and mid-range torque numbers. As Alex has mentioned, the variable dual-Vanos is much harder to tune with a stand alone, vs how the stock DME controls it. This is exactly why I'm going with the stock DME and Alpha-N instead.

    Originally posted by Massive Lee
    The S54 indeed runs 100hp more than the US S52, but the later has way more torque down the rev, which is easier to drive around town, or out of a corner. But moving 2340lbs, vs 3400lbs with the original e46 chassis, the S54 motor will still feel healthy at low revs.

    Lee
    The s54 takes a bit longer to get into the same torque band as the s50/s52 in stock form, but once you get rid of the restrictive headers, it's no longer an issue. And the s54 will feel a bit more than "healthy" in a 2400 lb e30. ;-)

    Leave a comment:


  • jakeb
    replied
    Is the s50, s54, m50, m54 all use the same block? They are all physically the same?

    I have a e46 325xi touring as my DD (don't even own an e30 anymore) and I have been thinking it needs more power. So I have been debating an s54 in the touring...the question is will the m54 xi trans bolt to the s54? Also will the trans and AWD system handle the power of the s54?

    Leave a comment:


  • Massive Lee
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    That's 100 whp more than a healthy S50US with most of the bolt-ons.
    The S54 indeed runs 100hp more than the US S52, but the later has way more torque down the rev, which is easier to drive around town, or out of a corner. But moving 2340lbs, vs 3400lbs with the original e46 chassis, the S54 motor will still feel healthy at low revs.

    Lee

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    If you go with DTA or ViPeC, the tunability and power potential is just staggering. Jason89i has a bone stock S54 with DTA S100, and it pumps out 326 whp... that is just sick.

    That's 100 whp more than a healthy S50US with most of the bolt-ons.

    Leave a comment:


  • Massive Lee
    replied
    That Euro e30 weights around 2380lbs (400 less than its US cousin). Right off the bat, it makes the car more nimble and faster. Add a 340hp motor, and you get a go-kart with a jet engine on its back.

    Can't wait to see the developements, especially around the brake actuation.

    Leave a comment:


  • psyber_0ptix
    replied
    cupcakes

    Leave a comment:


  • Luis325
    replied
    In for Updates !

    Leave a comment:


  • jakeb
    replied
    updates?

    Leave a comment:


  • JoeyBones
    replied
    Originally posted by jutny
    that was gonna be my plan for brakes. Probably UUC
    Also an excellent choice! Very dedicated to the BMW and specifically the e30 as well!

    Leave a comment:


  • jutny
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeyBones
    brakes...pssshhhh! who needs to stop?! You could go with one of the newer 4lug brake kits that are on the market for slightly under $1k... You'd have larger rotors and 4 piston calipers. I've used and know plenty of people with the fastbrakes kits in the past.
    that was gonna be my plan for brakes. Probably UUC

    Leave a comment:

Working...