Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 318is Restoration Project...Now with some Air!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 318is Restoration Project...Now with some Air!

Hey, well this is my first e30, I've been on the hunt for one for a long time. I wanted to have a project car that I would know that I'd cherish and enjoy for a long time. I've owned two honda's before and just never felt the want to fully restore them. This is going to be a slow build so bear with me. Here in Canada with all the snow and salting, it's hard to find a mint body. I thought I found a relatively good condition car, but was I ever wrong.

I picked up this car about two days ago and have been stripping the interior out for the past two days. My plans are to do the body work first and then onto the mechanical work after. Enough talk and here are some pics.
    Car: 1991 318is, 315,XXX Km on body, 172XXX Km on 93 318is motor,lowered on apex springs, primamax wheels

So here's the car when I first picked it up.

Initial Tear Down

This really pissed me off

Why? A harness isn't that cheap,the entire wiring system on this car is f**ked, does anyone have good diagrams of the wiring?

All the parts starting to pile up

So you can see I got a lot of work ahead of me. Its not called a project for nothing.
    Last edited by Tuee; 10-17-2016, 06:19 PM.

Originally posted by Tuee
    So you can see I got a lot of work ahead of me.
    Yes. Yes you do.
    Sorry to see all that cancer..

lol @ prior owner and the two 30" woofer holes. That shit is funny. (but not really) (i mean, it is funny - just not to any current owner)
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Are those seriously old woofer holes?! WTF was in there?!
      Originally posted by Dozyproductions
      All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
        Yes. Yes you do.
        Sorry to see all that cancer..

lol @ prior owner and the two 30" woofer holes. That shit is funny. (but not really) (i mean, it is funny - just not to any current owner)
        ya, I was like wtf when I first saw it but I'm gonna save this car and bring it back to its glorious days.

Originally posted by mamzak View Post
        Are those seriously old woofer holes?! WTF was in there?!
        lol, ya apparently he had two 15's in there, but don't worry I'll be getting rid of that soon

Comment

managed to clean the driver side floor pan a bit, still got a long way to go

Comment

got a project ahead of you!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Lots of work, but it will look great when you are done! Cloth sports seats are awesome. Bah, silly 325's here and their leather.

Comment

Are those plaid seats? Got lots of work but it'll be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by recall View Post
                  Lots of work, but it will look great when you are done! Cloth sports seats are awesome. Bah, silly 325's here and their leather.
                  Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                  Are those plaid seats? Got lots of work but it'll be worth it.
                  Yep, there plaid cloth seats, I really wanted a white car with tan leather until I saw those seats, so I'm gonna keep the black and cloth interior.

Comment

holy rust batman! i am dealing with a lot of the same on my 2002. its a bitch. good luck.
                    sigpic
                    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                      holy rust batman! i am dealing with a lot of the same on my 2002. its a bitch. good luck.
                      Thanks, and ya rust is a bitch, it seems like most of my rust was confined to the surface and some sanding took car of that. However I do have 3 holes where I'd need to weld in some new material, for now I'm gonna just JB Weld them and then get it done professionally when finances clear up. Update: I got the passenger side primed, started cleaning up the driver side and removed almost all the sound material.

This stuff is pretty heavy

Can someone guess what this is?

The plans for the interior is to get all the rust cleaned up, prime, paint and then dynomat it. Then I'll work on the wiring.

Comment

its the carpet...looks really nasty!
                        Ich bin erstaunlich!

Comment

^ I think the answer he was looking for was TRASH...

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                          1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by southgabimmer View Post
                            its the carpet...looks really nasty!
                            Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                            ^ I think the answer he was looking for was TRASH...
                            lol, yep that's the carpet, there was enough water in that carpet to fill lake ontario,

Comment

Got a bit more work done today, I was wondering if anyone had a cheap solution for this hole that was cut out.
                              After sanding and the coating with rust check,

Primer

So I'd really appreciate any suggestions on patching that hole up.

Comment

Working...
                              X