• Show
Clear All

Eurostop / Metrix Motorsport / Groma Race Fabrication Drift Project

Eurostop / Metrix Motorsport / Groma Race Fabrication Drift Project

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    ARI AT DTM FIBERWERKS
    ROB AT METRIX MOTORSPORT
    ED AT GROMA RACE FABRICATION
    MY DAD(thanks for your never ending support!)
    MY GIRLFRIEND(she hasn't killed me yet!)

What's up everybody, let me first introduce myself as I am new around here, My name is Andy Hateley and I am building an e30 to compete in XDC, Formula D and D1. I have been drifting since 2004 and earned an D1 license in 2005 and my FD license in 2006. I learned most of my driving skills at Just Drift, Drift Days and on Mulholland Hwy just past the rock store. For those of you that follow the drifting scene, I drove my laguna seca blue 350z in the 2006 and 2007 seasons of Formula D.(sponsored by Retaks, Modiride, Cooper tires, Stance suspension, and Unothodox Racing) I didn't compete in the 2008 and 2009 seasons of FD because I did not retain enough points in 2007 to compete in 2008.(1/4 of point away!!!) So I am back competing in XDC this year driving the 350z and building this e30 to destroy who ever I may come across in 2011!!!

This e30 drift project idea started about 4 years ago when I bought my first E30 and I wanted to swap in an SR20 then it was a VQ35DE, then I decided I wanted to go V8 and looked into the bmw 4.4 V8 and ls1 swaps. I decided to go with the LS1 and I picked up an 87 four door to start my project.

Some randomness hit me in the middle of that project, with the 4 door completely torn down to a bare chaissis(in 36 hours!) and me hunting craigslist for an LS1 to put in the car, a good friend of mine needed some quick cash and gave me a deal on an S54 that I couldn't pass up. So, in a matter of minutes, the plan was changed to an s54 swap and all the ls1 research that I did over the past few months went out the window and I got back to the drawing board. I researched and purchased everything to swap the s54 in the car, oil pan, throttle cable conv., egr block off, vanos delete, etc. I have basically everything, except getting the harness made by sias tuning.

I still had one other thing, what to do with the brake booster/airbox issue associated with the s54 swap(and many others swaps too). I was planning on having a custom airbox made to suit my needs when some more randomness hit me.

I don't remember why, but I picked up a old issue of Sport Compact Car and saw an article the insane Groma Fabrications E30. They relocated the brake booster under the dash with a 90 degree rocker/cantilever setup right above the trans tunnel. Brilliant, no more big ass booster in the engine bay! And the weight of the booster/master cyl. is now on the centerline of the chassis.

So I made the call to Groma Fab and talked to Ed. He was really cool and took the time to really explain the brake setup and ask me about what I wanted to do with my car. He asked me to come down to talk about the project and to check out the brake setup. When I came down to Groma Fab they had a proposition for me..... Ditch the S54 project, buy their V8 supercharged cantilever suspension E30 craziness, have space to prep the chassis and get the fab work done at Groma Fab, and help from Ed and Mono when I needed help. Needless to say, I decided to take the deal and I was tearing the car apart at Groma Fab a week later. The chassis left Groma Fab a whole new beast as you will see in the pictures.

Spending time at Groma, I met Rob from Metrix Motorsport who became very interested in the build and is helping out immensely with the engine and drivetrain. We discussed our options and i decided to scrap the supercharger setup for a set of custom ITB's, custom cams, custom solid lifter conversion, ARP studs, ported and polished giving me an engine with an estimated 425 to 450 whp and a near 12:1 compression ratio. That engine will be mated to a 5 speed transmission from the old 3.0L V8's that has no overdrive in 5th gear, awesome! All gears in the trans and diff are micro polished and treated in some other way as well, but Rob wanted to keep that one a secret. The differential has billet outdrives, Rob uses these on the backdraft cobra diffs they build. 3.73 to start with Metrix Motorsports patented progressive ramp diff. This diff shaves seconds off lap times for road racers, I can't wait to see how it drifts.

Ari from Eurostop came by Groma Fab a few times and became interested in the project as well. I went by his shop in Northridge and he immediately wanted to help in anyway he could. I originally wanted his Evo R Widebody kit, the kit is clean and looks great. Ari had other ideas in his head, to say the least. He had been dreaming up a crazy widebody kit for the e30 in his head for a while now and wanted to create it for this project. It was a bit more work that just pulling something off the shelf and handing it to me, but for this project this insane, the new kit is perfect! It has a crazy look to it like a lot of the newer BMW gt cars out there but still carries the same lines and doesn't take the form of the E30 away.

Sorry for the long story, but it's been kind of a long random road to get here.

ON WITH THE PROJECT!!!!

I have a lot of pictures, so I will start from the tear down pics and just keep
    posting em up!

Old dash wireing

Old cantilever suspension(now removed due to XDC regulations)

Custom from subframe

Interior all cleaned up!

Feul filler removed

The old cage setup

Removed ALL brackets, studs, tabs, etc.

You don't lose a lot of weight taking all the studs out of the car, but you sure won't get stabbed by one again!

Making the backing plates

Cage re-design starting

Cage link to subframe pickup points

Massive side impact protection

Door X braces

rear lower X

E-brake mount

Battery box cover

Getting there....

Custom ITBs

Yes thats the water pump,-20AN

Trans

Diff

Re-routed all feul lines under the car

Made some carbon fiber panels for the dash

Carbon roof panel

Made an aluminum panel underneath to keep my hand safe

Quick release door pins(just open and lift them off!)

Back at home after I sprayed some primer

Widebody production at DTM Fiberwerks

Completed fenders sideskirts and front bumper

Last edited by Shmately; 06-15-2010, 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Unbelievable! I cant wait to see where this goes. Keep it up, and welcome to the forum.

How much tire are you planning on running?
      My LS1 swap thread:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=160030

Comment

Wow! Nice project!!! Will be following this for sure!

Did they make the flares as a one-off for you or are they going to produce those for sale?

Comment

nice work,good luck with your project.

Comment

Looks good, so much work.. :)

Comment

Thanks guys, I will be running a set of custom cut 18x10.5 and 18x9(less rim=more angle) wheels that Ari will be making for me. I was planning on starting with a 265 or 275 rear and a 235 front to start.

The kit will be available for sale soon after the entire project is completed, I will ask Ari to get a better idea.

Comment

Do you have any more pics or info on the old cantilever setup?
                My LS1 swap thread:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=160030

Comment

That Groma car was amazing. Looks like under that widebody, it still will be. Looks a bit gaudy for my tastes, but it is a drift car.

Comment

Lots of love and sweat in that project. Good work guys.
                    Please explain the reasoning behind the cantilever rear suspension. Did you change anything else in the lower suspension?
                    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Love it! This is surely going to be sick when it's out doing its work!!
                      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

nice work

7speedshop.com

Comment

looks nice!
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                          If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

very nice project

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

I saw this car at bimmerfest last year (2009) I . It already had the v8 in it, supercharged IIRC. Cool project, love that rear shock setup. Too bad you aren't keeping it!
                              Last edited by lifeiskaos; 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X