No announcement yet.

Absorbantnut's '87 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then the day after I packed up all my stuff and headed up to Gainesville to go to college.

Things started to look a lot different from South Florida on the way up:p

Then my first day of class I found a little surprise when I walked back to my car

At least they got the color right

Then I went out to a spot I used to drive my go-kart when my dad would be deliver envelopes and decided it would be cool to take some pictures

Last edited by AbsorbantNut; 08-27-2012, 01:11 PM.

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

I'm looking to buy a pair of 2.5" coilover springs, let me know what you've got! Also feel free to make recommendations on spring rates, right now it has 650 in the rear and mystery rates up front!!

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

So i drove back to So FLo for labor day weekend! Ended up hanging out with some friends, got some car parts, and wrenched on the e30:o

With the help of a few friends the rear fenders were rolled in order to make some room for the 20mm spacers [courtesy of Kingston;)] Also threw on some euro plate

Then a day after I got back in Gainesville, there is this horrible dragging sound coming from the rear of the car. It was the emergency brake! So I limped the poor thing back to the apartament and diagnosed it. I took off the driver side rotor and found this

A stripped out dust shield, but where's all the hardware!?!

Oh, there it is

Comment

Decided it was time to get to work today! Changed out the front sway bar drop links at the apartament today, and boy did they need it. Boots were trashed and there joints are basically so worn that another few months and they would've separated. Theres over half an inch of play in each:)

So, out with the old....

And in with the new!! Some oem lemforder repalcements were ordered, from blunttech of course!

A comparison shot of the two

Destroyed

And, as a bonus note...I'm fairly sure that I've found the source of my oil leak:D

Comment

Decided to mix things up

Comment

Okay, so not too much has been done to the car over the past week besides the installation of a 2timer. Pics to follow;)

A two timer allows two maps to be read off of one chip, so essentially I guess you could say it's like a WAR CHIP, but cheaper:D

So it begins with this

And here's what came in the mail

So then starts the dissection Prying the pins up to take off the outer casing!

Overview of the stock ECU

And the chip on the right is "the chip"

So you must take that out...

Close up of the two timer

Two timer in sans chip

Comparison of different chip brands

After looking around for where to ground the wire to switch the tunes on the chip I found the perfect spot

Oh yea!

After that, put in your chip, mine was a custom tune from WOT TECH aka forced firebird on here, thanks John!

Wire fed through the ECU casing

Bolted back in place with the wire grounded running to a switch in the dash that leads to a ground on the car.

Then I just picked up this too, along with some blown out Bilsteins I'll get relaved to match my spring rates;) Man, this car is almost done!!

And here's my baby!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
                Then the day after I packed up all my stuff and headed up to Gainesville to go to college.

So very hipster of you to put the skateboard on the roof, even though there is clearly enough room for it inside the car ;-)
                Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop
                visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Uhhhh wheres the paint
                  1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                  1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                  1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                    So very hipster of you to put the skateboard on the roof, even though there is clearly enough room for it inside the car ;-)
                    How foolish of me

And in other news I hope to be seeing some of you local r3v members going to the upcoming NASA event at Sebring this October!

Comment

Picked up one of these for a few bucks

The Bilstein Sports have arrived in the mail, so now I need to change my front spring rates and get them revalved!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
                        Picked up one of these for a few bucks

where'd you get that little piece?

Comment

Connections :)

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
                            where'd you get that little piece?
                            A forum member is making them. Check the FS section, they're delrin now but I got one of the original nylon ones that he made.

On a side note, how much NVH did that diff mount add? I'm getting Silence's raised subframe bushings, but i'm considering going with a softer diff mount if it's gonna be a constant rattle or vibration.
                            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                              A forum member is making them. Check the FS section, they're delrin now but I got one of the original nylon ones that he made.

On a side note, how much NVH did that diff mount add? I'm getting Silence's raised subframe bushings, but i'm considering going with a softer diff mount if it's gonna be a constant rattle or vibration.
                              Carlos, any input on Nylon vs Derlin?

The diff, I cannot say, I don't really feel all the crazy noises or vibrations everyone talks about when going with stiffer bushings. However, I will attest that it is a great product, sold by a great person, and I would highly recommend them to anybody looking for an upgraded bushing over stock rubber. And if you have rattles or vibrations, maybe you need to tighten up some things;)

Comment

With Sebring coming up this weekend I figured now was a good a time as ever to change out the old tie rods! I splurged and bought new inners & outers too;)

So even though working in the parking lot isn't as nice as working in the shop, I was still able to finish in about 30 minutes:D

So it was out with the old

And a close up of the old tierods; the boots were pretty trashed at this point.

And in with the new!

Overall, the car feels much tighter; there isn't as much looseness in the steering wheel as there was before. Plus, I swapped out the old Mtech I wheel for the Kamei. Much, much, much better:D

My only concern though is that the momo wheel that I got does not fit onto the 6 bolt hub. I guess I'll have to figure out a solution for that, but it isn't of much priority at this point! With four days until the event, other things have taken precedence :p

Comment

Working...
                                X