DIY paint job. Done right. Hopefully

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • sonnyqm3
    replied
    how is coming along with the DIY paint project..

    Leave a comment:


  • sonnyqm3
    replied
    einstein57,

    We have contracts with 3000 cabs.. we do their radio dispatch/meter installation and repairs.. we also do all their paints..

    our shop is 12,000sq ft with 5 lifts and 2 paint booths.. cab service is not all we do at the shop, we also service local people with their car needs.. I like working on BMW's personally and have great techs who help me out with my builds etc...

    Leave a comment:


  • einstein57
    replied
    I got my last car done at a cabby place too. They really like doing something different from time to time.


    Originally posted by sonnyqm3
    ya gray is fine..

    get deltron DBC paint from PPG. Henna paint code is 052, if your going with ppg clear then use either 3000 or for a lil bit more go with 4000.

    I will give you the mixing/toner code tomorrow. i will also give you the exact number for the ppg clear and hardner..


    Leave a comment:


  • sonnyqm3
    replied
    ok here is the Henna paint code 052 and mix..also use 400 grit sand paper and then prime..
    DMD1608 LF ORANGE
    DMD1677 RED
    DMD648 WEAK BLACK
    DMD1684 WHITE
    DMD665 YELLOW RF
    DBX1689 CLEAR

    for the reducer use a I think its DTC 885 which is medium temp reducer or you can go DTC 895 which is a lil slower..

    The clear is DC3000 and hardner is DCH 3095 its a 4-1 mix ratio.

    Good luck..

    Leave a comment:


  • Wiglaf
    replied
    pull the front and rear windows out, they probably could use new trim anyways. I would also do the door sills, trunk interior, etc. Most have little spots in the windshield corners that need repair.

    When I get around to doing mine I'll be renting a sandblaster to clean off the whole bottom of the car then using that rock-proof bedliner shit. I'm contemplating yanking the motor and driveline, going all the way with it. Living in the rust belt has it's ways of making you go overkill with the precautions.

    Leave a comment:


  • hotghias
    replied
    If you're building a plastic booth, I recommend setting the fans to blow into the booth and out the filters, rather than suck air out of the booth. Learned that on the 2nd or 3rd car after cursing the plastic walls closing in on me, lol. I tended to spend way too much time in the bodywork stage and then cheap out on paintbooth setup and paint quality. Sealers always F'ed me up - never use them - just use a good primer. When I learned all my lessons and laid my best paintjob ever on the latest project with a harbor freight HVLP, spots of light green self-etching primer bled thru the white paint. Suckballs. So, I have yet to get the primer/sealer stuff right, haha. Best of luck to you, though.

    Leave a comment:


  • sonnyqm3
    replied
    ya gray is fine..

    get deltron DBC paint from PPG. Henna paint code is 052, if your going with ppg clear then use either 3000 or for a lil bit more go with 4000.

    I will give you the mixing/toner code tomorrow. i will also give you the exact number for the ppg clear and hardner..


    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    I am going to get paint from the auto paint store, PPG!!!!

    They said I should probably just get a gallon of paint and clear ($700) does that seem about right? It was DTC paint I think and 2021 clear they quoted me for. I will make sure to get good reducers.

    Is gray a good primer to use for henna?

    Leave a comment:


  • sonnyqm3
    replied
    Originally posted by e304me
    oh BTW again, I saw some M3's at and I think I decided on Henna for the color. The trick is going to be getting that good color. I am hoping it is possible with gray primer. Also, it looks damn good for a single stage!!!
    Henna is a hard color and big Negative on the single stage.. if you are not a pro painter then single stage paint on Henna is going to be hard...

    The Henna I just paint is because the PO had it painted with single stage and it looked orange.. becareful when painting single stage paint..

    paint code for Henna is 052 incase you didnt know.. the mix on that paint is so long.. I think it was like 8 or 9 different toners that had to used to get Henna paint correct.

    Leave a comment:


  • sonnyqm3
    replied
    are you gonna get ready mixed paint or your gonna mix ur own paint?

    make sure you get good paint and good reducer... shit reducer will make ur job llok like hell.
    also make sure to use good clear..
    1. Matrix makes good clear called AUTO Glass
    2. Debeers clears is very good.
    3. Transtar has one good clear

    clears are usually 2-1 ratio or 4-1 ratio mix.

    paints are 1-1 ratio. meaning get the a 24 cup of paint and mix it with 24ounce of reducer..
    there is more afforrdable clears as well just ask ur local paint supplier..

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    oh BTW again, I saw some M3's at and I think I decided on Henna for the color. The trick is going to be getting that good color. I am hoping it is possible with gray primer. Also, it looks damn good for a single stage!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • sonnyqm3
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves
    ^That sounds like the opposite of what a first timer should be getting into. I was asking what was best for a noob.
    sorry. lol

    ok her we go..

    take out all panels from the car.. if you can out the windows that a plus..

    1. sand with 400 or 320
    2. scuff the entire car
    3. make sure you get all the edges
    4. have good masking tape.. I recommend 3m
    5. masking paper.
    6. prep the help out the car real nice with ur masking paper and masking tape...
    7. use 2k primer then wait til its dry and block
    8. might need a second coat of 2k primer and block and sand.
    9. get its ready/mask for the paint job
    10. use good paint.ex... ppg, dupont etc.
    11. shoot the car with 1 coat of paint, wait then check for coverage
    12. shoot it again, wait ang check for coverage.. i think 3 coats will do..
    13. wait til paint is ready for clear..
    14 shoot 2-3 coats of clear... dont be cheap and use good clear.. good clear will cost about $200- $300
    15. wait til paint dries then wet sand buff....


    hope this is a lil better..

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves
    ^That sounds like the opposite of what a first timer should be getting into. I was asking what was best for a noob.
    If the existing paint is in good shape (not peeling or flaking) then priming and blocking it will be good for just about any situation.

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    oh BTW I havent updated because I am in monterey for the car weekend. On Friday though I did get some time to work on the bad dent on the rocker panel. I thought I was going to have to use the stud welder but I was able to get to all of it using the hammers and also a punch for the very end. I will post pictures tomorrow. I am going to sand to to metal to give the bondo a good tooth to hold on to but it is just going to need a thin coat. I have a a few other little dents to hammer out and bondo as well. My respirator should be here by the end of the week so I will have time to sand the car and also set up a booth.

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    ^That sounds like the opposite of what a first timer should be getting into. I was asking what was best for a noob.

    Leave a comment:

Working...