DIY paint job. Done right. Hopefully

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • e304me
    replied
    Its going to be red. Brilliantrot or muguello. The red on the new m3's is nice too.

    As for the spraying I have watched the paintucation bodywork, paint your own car, and color sanding and buffing DVD's (worth checking out) and i plan to start out on just the trunk. Then doors, then the rest of the car. As long as you mix the paint well and its a non metallic doing one panel at a time is fine. The hardest part is sparying the clear. You have to spary it how you want it to look, so basically you have to soak the car with it while at the same time not getting any runs
    Last edited by e304me; 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 87e30
    replied
    I've thought about this. Someday I'd really like to. Brings a whole new level to do everything yourself. Hmmmm. Keep it updated.

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    I want to do this too!

    Awesome dude. Except for the spraying - I'm way too chicken.

    I'd love it if you keep track of your material and supplies you use and post up pictures/invoices. No one that does there posts really talks about the supplies they use. Can't wait to see this.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dj Buttchug
    replied
    Prep is the key to a good paint job. good luck man. what color?

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    started a topic DIY paint job. Done right. Hopefully

    DIY paint job. Done right. Hopefully

    Yep I am going to paint my car. Myself. Not some shit in a spray can, a real legit paint job. I have ordered sanding blocks and and a spray gun from eastwood. I am going to be using damn near the best materials I can. The materials cost (excluding the gun and other tools) will be around $1000. This gives you an ideal of why a $2000 paint job is still shitty. I could use 100 bucks worth of some OK paint but instead I am going to use one of the best. because I dont want to have to do this again for as long as I own the car (FOREVER). A gallon of clear and base is going to run me about $700, but to give you an ideal of the quality the clear has a lifetime guarantee when sprayed by a certified technician.

    The east wood stuff should be here tomorrow so I can start sanding. I am going to block sand the current paint to level it out along with fixing all the dents, then I am going to prime and block sand again.

    There are some dents and serious oxizidation in the paint, along with a repair that was done before I got the car that has a peeling clear coat. I am going to fill the antenna hole. Also when I bought the car it was keyed and I thought it would be easy to fix with touchup paint. LOL

    here are some pictures of the car. I will update tomorrow after I get it washed and start sanding.


    here are some scratches, they look worse then they used too because i used a paint scrapper to get the touchup paint off to prep for sanding






    theres there is a crease/dents all along the rocker panel. It is a lot worse than it looks. I am supposed to be getting a good door, this will make it easier.



    repair job that was done before i got the car, If I find a cheap fender I am going to get it.




    here is the car

Working...