DIY paint job. Done right. Hopefully

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • e304me
    replied
    pic of the hood! I am anxious to see the actual color, red is so hard to photograph. Its painted mugello red. It is a really rare bmw color that came on some e34 m5's and some 95 m3's.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    Well it looks like I'm not going to be able to take it to school, but just as well i guess as I will really take my time putting it together. It's taking him longer than expected and I should have the car and parts back by tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    well a lot has happened since i last updated this thread. I blocked the car and had it almost ready to paint but didnt finish in time before i had to go to grad school. I am back now until the 1st or 2nd. When i came back I blocked the car again and sanded to 400.

    I just dropped the car off at the painters today and it should be painted by tomorrow. One reason I chose to have someone else do it was because of the temperature. I would have to rent a booth if I wanted to paint it myself. Another is the experience. This guy has been restoring hot rods for 30 years!!!!

    Hopefully i will have pictures tomorrow and have it assembled in a few days. Maybe even in time to take with me to school but that is also weather permitting.

    Leave a comment:


  • sonnyqm3
    replied
    Originally posted by e304me
    I took some pics tonight but they came out like ass. I have everything primed and have started wetsanding. I will have to reprime some sand thrus then re wetsand those areas and paint!
    did you block already and what grade sand paper did you or how many coats of primer did you use.

    are you going to water sand it, what grade sand paper are you going to use 600 or 1200..

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    don't you want an antenna?

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    Yeah I used some anti corrosion primer on it

    Leave a comment:


  • E-Thirty
    replied
    When you welded the filler for the antenna hole, did you paint the other side(inside trunk) or protect it in any way?

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    I took some pics tonight but they came out like ass. I have everything primed and have started wetsanding. I will have to reprime some sand thrus then re wetsand those areas and paint!

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    I am still chugging away at this, I have some stuff in primer, I will try to post an update tonight

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    looks good man. I am having second thoughts about spraying it myself, but I already made the booth and bought a gun so i am going through with it.

    I got a great mask off of ebay that is full face and has a hookup for an air line so you are always getting fresh air

    Leave a comment:


  • ortholithiation
    replied
    Sounds like you are on the right track. You should check out my thread in body and paint forum. I'm just finishing the cut and buff and probably did what you are doing now.

    This was my first time DYI job, but I had a lot of help.


    IF YOU USE ISOCYANATE paint or anything with a hardner you MUST MUST MUST wear a respirator. Trust me. You will covalently link your lungs with carbamates and ureas.



    325is bodywork.
    Last edited by ortholithiation; 08-29-2010, 07:04 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    yeah I will post some pictures tonight.

    so far today I have gotten 1 fender and part of another ready for primer. The one I am working on now is a bitch because it was painted with a clear coat and the clear is starting to bubble so i have to sand ALL of the clear off. More labor intensive than you think.

    There were a few dents on them but I was able to just tap them from the backside and add a touch of sanding to get them flush. No bondo needed!.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sir Young
    replied
    Keep up the work, and keep the pictures coming! =]

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    Dont know if anyone is still following this or not, but today I got 95% of the booth done, my filters didnt get here so I am not going to be able to prime till monday though. I still have some other things I can work on.

    I still have to block the right side of the unibody
    remove the undercoating from the rear valance
    block sand both fenders
    finish up with 220 grit on one of the doors and do the drivers door
    also scuff the door jams

    Then just, cleaning, masking, and priming

    Then block sand again and paint. School starts on the 20th down in California, I think I will kind of be cutting it close!!! I will probably start painting next sunday.

    Leave a comment:


  • e304me
    replied
    also I think i've decided on mugello red for the color. Its in between brilliantrot and henna

    Leave a comment:

Working...