Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MR 325
    replied
    Love it! And that license plate is way cool. 8-)

Leave a comment:

• robrez
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    In order to make the oem battery tray work properly, you need to cut the bracket support out of a facelift non cabrio car and switch it out with the dead weight bracket. Your alternative should work fine. You just won't have any corrosion protection afforded by the plastic tray/vent hose.
    In my pre-conversion research, I'd never seen anyone recommend cutting the bracket support out of the donor parts car. But, yes, that would be an ideal solution, thanks for mentioning it. Re-using the vert's metal tray works pretty well too. I used some rust-resistant paint on it. I didn't use the vent hose system since I'm using an AMG battery, but that's another good tip.

I think I'm one of the only people on here raising their car. After putting the battery, tool kit, jack, etc., and spare tire in the trunk, and the hardtop on, the rear was looking a little droopy, so I added 15mm upper and 10mm lower spring pads. Now, I'm ready to use my roof racks

Last edited by robrez; 09-12-2017, 02:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    In order to make the oem battery tray work properly, you need to cut the bracket support out of a facelift non cabrio car and switch it out with the dead weight bracket. Your alternative should work fine. You just won't have any corrosion protection afforded by the plastic tray/vent hose.

Leave a comment:

• robrez
    replied
    Originally posted by Mfever View Post
    BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT PLATE FRAME FOR THE LONGEST TIME!!!! Have an extra one you are willing to part with by any chance? BTW your car looks fantastic! and what a an epic plate for the car!
    Thanks. I don't have an extra, sorry. You just need to go to an event where BMW Classic has a booth and you can buy one there. For example, they were at Octoberfest in Monterey last year. The license plates they sold there said 100 Years on the top and BMW Classic on the bottom. I didn't buy one because I like this simpler version better. I'm not sure where they'll be next, but they're usually at the big events.

Leave a comment:

• ArtFoodBMW
    replied
    Good progress OP. It's looking real good.

Leave a comment:

• Mfever
    replied
    BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT PLATE FRAME FOR THE LONGEST TIME!!!! Have an extra one you are willing to part with by any chance? BTW your car looks fantastic! and what a an epic plate for the car!

Leave a comment:

• robrez
    replied
    A good friend gifted me this license plate.
    Last edited by robrez; 09-12-2017, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robrez
    replied
    Originally posted by bradnic View Post
    nicely done.
    Thanks Brad.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    The struts holding up your trunk lid will last much longer if they are piston down.

AMHIK :-)

Nice ride !!
    Thanks for the pro tip, I'll fix that right away.

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    The struts holding up your trunk lid will last much longer if they are piston down.

AMHIK :-)

Nice ride !!

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    nicely done.

Leave a comment:

• robrez
    replied

For some odd reason I never figured out, the bracket between the intake manifold and the MK Motorsport valve cover did not align. So I asked Fielding Fabrication to modify the bracket and paint it black. Now it's secure.

Leave a comment:

• robrez
    replied
    ^^ Thanks. It's about a ten footer thanks to two days of paintless dent removal and a couple more days of detailing. It'll get fresh paint and a proper m-technic cloth interior eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Zeemz
    replied
    Absolutely gorgeous! Awesome work bringing it back to life!

Leave a comment:

• parkerbink
    replied
    Very nice, I'm on a similar mission with a non M-Tech '92 I just rescued from oblivion.

Leave a comment:

• robrez
    replied
    A few updates for documentation purposes.

I found a split seam in my drivers seat bottom cushion, so I bought a nice set of seat cushions and redid both seats.

Also installed an oem Halon fire extinguisher and mounting bracket.

Next time I find a tear, I swear I'm finally going to put to use the oem M-tech fabric I've been hoarding. Here's 3 of the 5 yards I've sourced.

I'd previously moved my battery to the trunk, but I didn't like how the oem coupe/sedan battery tray doesn't sit flat. So I re-used the tray that holds the vert trunk ballast.
    In this pic you can that the sedan/coupe tray only has two mounting "feat" at the rear, causing the battery to tilt forward. The vert ballast tray has four "feat" so it mounts flush and is more secure.

It just need a little fabrication to adapt to "tie down" at the rear, and a lip at the front, just like oem. Thanks to Matt at Fielding Fabrication.

I also redid my door locks and changed the rubber window trim pieces.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X