No announcement yet.

Eta-to-M50: Build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might want to check your chassis grounds in the engine bay too while waiting for the battery to charge.
    Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
      Might want to check your chassis grounds in the engine bay too while waiting for the battery to charge.
      We have a ground going from the frame rail lug on the driver's side to the lug location on the bottom of the oil pan, is there another/more? Forgive my ignorance here, we were under the impression that was the main one.

Comment

That's the only one you need.

Comment

It is the only one, but it doesn't preclude one from checking it for clean metal, especially since you painted the engine bay.
          Sorry, should have clarified that's what I was indicating above.

An Optima Red top also will not charge on a "normal" battery charger.
          Below the radar...

Comment

...waiting patiently... *eh hem!*

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
            HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
            **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

It is the only one, but it doesn't preclude one from checking it for clean metal, especially since you painted the engine bay.
              Sorry, should have clarified that's what I was indicating above.

An Optima Red top also will not charge on a "normal" battery charger.
              It's clean metal under the ground lug and on the oil pan, but thanks for the tip!

I've charged the Optima before on the charger I have, seems to work fine. Is there a better one you'd recommend, or beyond that, maybe a better battery? The Optima has never let me down before, but if there's something better out there that's cheaper, I'm definitely interested.

Originally posted by clavinZERO View Post
              ...waiting patiently... *eh hem!*
              Patience, my son. Gonna go down tomorrow and fill up a 5 gallon can with fresh gas, just no more time tonight! Until then... fingers crossed!

Comment

that was my problem when first starting my swap.

hope its just the battey for ya!
                NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

That was the problem we had summer before last when Crivvy was down here, and we reassembled the top end of my engine. :D

Comment

I have seen a lot of optima batteries fail prematurely, not my own but people i know. I have used interstate batteries for a lot of years with great success and they have an E30 specific batt set up for a vent line like stock, You dont want a trunk full of hydrogen! Highly recommended.
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                      I've charged the Optima before on the charger I have, seems to work fine. Is there a better one you'd recommend, or beyond that, maybe a better battery? The Optima has never let me down before, but if there's something better out there that's cheaper, I'm definitely interested.
                      I personally think Optima's, if properly maintained, are excellent. We have them in all the boats & most of our customer cars that sit for extended periods of time.

I'd recommend a CTEK charger, as you can use it to charge the battery, and maintain it during the winter when the car is in storage. It has leads that you can leave attached to the terminals.

Look for a CTek Multi US 3300.

-Chris
                      Below the radar...

Comment

I'll look into that, thanks Chris. Fingers crossed for me that she starts up tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                          I'll look into that, thanks Chris. Fingers crossed for me that she starts up tomorrow!
                          There is a solid chance that if that battery was in the car when you got it, it also spent time in my m3. Might need to be replaced!
                          PNW Crew
                          90 m3
                          06 m5

Comment

Originally posted by uofom3 View Post
                            There is a solid chance that if that battery was in the car when you got it, it also spent time in my m3. Might need to be replaced!
                            Possibly. Just took it off the charger and put it back in the car for a test crank, and while it cranked noticeably much harder this time, still no start and the windows still seemed to go back up pretty slowly (they were SUPER slow before). So I put it back on the charger just to see what the battery was at, and it was already back down at 4 on the indicator. So I'm going to take the battery down tomorrow and have it tested, we'll see what happens.

Comment

Just tried jumping it with my work vehicle, and it cranks MUCH harder, windows are operating at normal speed, but still no start. It's acting like it wants to, too. I think it might actually be totally out of gas. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Comment

It takes a while to get the gas to the rail too.
                                Originally posted by Gruelius
                                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                                X