No announcement yet.

Resurrection of my coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Nice! didnt know you where swaping it!
    sigpic
    1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
    1987 325ic Black Vert
    1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
    1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

/awesome motor! Perfect for a DD
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
      VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

I'm sorry, what? Looking forward to see where this is going! Dibs on the old motor?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxDriver86 View Post
          I'm sorry, what? Looking forward to see where this is going! Dibs on the old motor?
          work it out with Dan and you can have it the second we pull it out. I'll give you directions to my house and 4 hours notice...lol You can take it right off my hoist!!
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
            work it out with Dan and you can have it the second we pull it out. I'll give you directions to my house and 4 hours notice...lol You can take it right off my hoist!!
            And put it in my car?;)

I started gathering parts for my own M50 swap. Last week. Can't let you Raleigh boys have all the fun, ya know?

Comment

Haha! I was actually thinking of keeping the M20 around and rebuilding it for the cabrio...thinking about it anyway. Ive got 2 e30 mouths to feed! :shock:

When I met Andre, he was parting out his cabrio...now look at it! Be prepared to be negatively influenced by us Raleigh Boys! :D

COTM

Comment

Minor to say the least but its still an update.

I took the valve cover off to see if I can make it look better. We have all seen this. I took some paint stripper that I had laying around and went too work.

...and work it was but my main goal was to make a soda blaster (media blasting). This little rig cost me $1.50 (minus the gun) and $.99 for soda so I fired up my compressor to see what results I can obtain out of my cover.

About a box worth and this was the result. It did take the muck off.

Then wanted to clean the bolts/washers before putting it all back together so I shot 1 to see what it would do...

1st bolt soda blasted
                2nd degreaser
                3rd nothing

Im going to set up some sort or rig to clean these all up.

The cover still looked bad so I used more powa! A minute or 2 with the orbital sander and bam, alls good. Ill sand with a finer paper and paint it black. The cover should look nice after am done with it.

COTM

Comment

ok, better not leave this one unattended in my garage....or i'm taking it and putting it on mine. lol
                  '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

So let me get this straight.

You would wetsand with 1500.

Then with 2000

Then used a foam cutting pad to buff with Malco compound

Then a polish pad to finish up again with a Malco product. Couldn't you use wax instead?

Comment

Wax would just protect the surface it was applied to. In my case my surface was coarse. The 1k,1.5k, and the 2k wetsanding makes the surface smooth. I did all the wetsanding by hand cause I didn't have a da sander nor find a place that had circular sanding disks around me without buying in bulk. The malco products took out the swirls and fine scratches. I also did some research on YouTube to get an idea of how to do it.

COTM

Comment

I just read through the entire thread. Very nice work in everything you've done to this car!

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
                          I just read through the entire thread. Very nice work in everything you've done to this car!
                          Thanks. I'm just waiting to get a few more parts...tranny brace, e36 throttle cable, and then maintenance parts. Time is gonna be the hardest thing to find. :)

COTM

Comment

Well, its been a while. Collecting all the parts needed for the swap aint easy...at least no for me. Several trips to the pnp in this heat makes it worth the premium price some command on these parts but for the most part, all good deals and great members to work with. But the last piece came in the mail today so I guess I can update thread.

The plan is to do the swap on the weekend of June 15-17. But before then, I wanted to get some "quick and simple" things done. The plan was new VC and oil pan gasket and put on the manifolds. This should be easy, right....

Well the valve cover gasket was easy enough as I removed it a while ago. We took a better look at the cams, seems to look ok.

Oddly enough, I didnt take any pix of the part that took the longest. All but 3 exhaust studs backed out with the nuts...just too damn rusty. PB blaster was our friend but each bolt took us about 5 minutes to get off. We got them all off but it wasnt fun. The Dominos special of BBQ chicken made this task a little but more bearable. :)

Anyway, flips the block over to do the pan. I knew when I bought the engine that this bolt was already locked so it was nice not haveing to deal with this...

E36 sump removed...

E34 pans baffle drilled out...thanks AB!

and ready for the new gasket.

Flipped her right side up and put the plastics on just for a visual that it comming together, bit by bit.

Accesories are next but may wait for the swap weekend. I still have to make my harness so I have time.

Oh, btw, I scored a 98 M3 rack! This is gonna be fun once its all buttoned up!

Cheers!

COTM

Comment

nice work, cant wait to see it done. what are your other plans?

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                              RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

I totally approve of everything !!

Superb taste in all endeavors.
                                Well done good sir.
                                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Working...
                                X