Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ttrousdell's Project Thread (E30 M3 & S38 swap content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount your oil cooler using rubber buffers between the cooler and chassis. I had mine hard mounted like that in the exact same place and it exploded, twice. The only thing I could attribute the multiple failures to was chassis vibration or the hoses flexing and slowly bending the cooler. I think earls sells a nice "cage" for those oil coolers on summit. Just a heads up, your car is super badass.

Comment

So are you going to change the title of the thread? You could go the same route Kam did with S38-S38+S14.
      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
        This is amazing , i have just finished reading all your thread and its amazing.
        Loved all the M power on this thread haha , keep up the good work !
        Can't wait to see some videos with the s14 :p
        Thank you. Hopefully i have it on the road soon and ill be sure to post up videos.

Originally posted by elmandatario View Post
        Nice I was wondering what swap you was gonna do. I like how you always refresh the engine before the swap nice work. Definetley gotta see it in person during the warmer months
        Since it was sitting for so long I was unsure of the condition of the gaskets. Yes its a little bit of a bitch cleaning the engines and regasketing but i think worth it later. Less chance of chasing vacuum and oil leaks and you have a more presentable engine.

Originally posted by F34R View Post
        Seeing as you plan on SCCA I think the S14 was a bad pick since it is all top end and SCCA is low end power for slow and fast in first-3rd.
        As always, love seeing you do what you do! Stoked to do some driving this summer :D
        Thanks Brandon. Well see how it preforms. Really im looking forward to hitting up those twisty upstate back roads with you.

Originally posted by GDA View Post
        Man this thread is so full of cool.
        Numerous S engines and pics to show they are well cared for and used.
        Very cool
        Thank you.

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
        Mount your oil cooler using rubber buffers between the cooler and chassis. I had mine hard mounted like that in the exact same place and it exploded, twice. The only thing I could attribute the multiple failures to was chassis vibration or the hoses flexing and slowly bending the cooler. I think earls sells a nice "cage" for those oil coolers on summit. Just a heads up, your car is super badass.
        Thank you. One of the lines does come close to the radiator and I may wrap it with a rubber sleeve to protect it. I did put rubber between the oil cooler and bracket for vibration and will check for wear as I drive it. I appreciate the heads up.

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
        So are you going to change the title of the thread? You could go the same route Kam did with S38-S38+S14.
        Going to keep it as is. Ill leave S38 in the title because it has s38 swap info and for views.

Well its been a while since an update. I have been busy with work leaving no time in the last 4 months for the car. Ill have a lot more free time so its back to work on this neglected project.

Months ago i found a good deal on 15x8 4x100 BBS RS wheels. i fitted them with 225/45 Nitto NT01s. These would be my track setup. For street I intend to use the RC090s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150313_123223.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	7177827

Name:	20150314_163231.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	7177828

Name:	20150314_163906.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	7177829
        I ran into one of my first big setbacks. It turned out the G265 tranny that i had was once in a 325i. What they did was swap the tranny output flange to fit the small input flange of the 325i driveshaft. The was an "oh shit" moment when i was under the car trying to bolt up the M3 driveshaft.

Went to order another G265 output flange but it was NLA. Needing a flywheel sensor which was NLA as well, i began to look for another G265. Pic of the difference between a 325i(small) guibo and the M3(large) guibo.

Name:	20150314_164005.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	7177830
        Originally I was running the UUC BBK kit. Realized that i would need a 22mm or larger spacer for the 15" RS wheels to fit over the caliper. This would not work an I would have fender rub issues. I'm ditching the UUC kit for now and running stock size.

Name:	20150717_095756.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	7177831

The Build:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Pretty much as she sits right now. Wrapping up the swap and hopefully be driving soon. Went to bleed the calipers the other day. I had saved the calipers from a rusted 88 325is I parted. Well my luck the bleeder snapped in half. Currently waiting on remanufactured girling calipers.

Name:	20150718_151524.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	7177832
          Found myself another G265 with belhousing sensors. Swapped it in. Mounted the new supersprint exhaust and an upgraded S50 timing chain tensioner.

Name:	20150718_141737.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	7177833
          Running the mechanical fan for now. Had to make some brackets to get it to fit centered.

Name:	20150727_123512.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	7177834
          So much room forward of the engine

Name:	20150727_123547.jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	7177835
          Been great weather so the M3 comes out of the garage a lot.

Name:	20150717_195847-1.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	7177836
          Last edited by ttrousdell; 07-27-2015, 12:45 PM.

The Build:

Comment

Progress is coming along so well! I cannot wait to hit some fresh back roads! the best spot around me just got new pavement ;D
            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I'm curious why you would swap the s38 out?

Pound for pound it is a better engine than the s14. 0.949 hp/lb for the s38b36 vs 0.833 hp/lb for the s14. It has 100 more hp and 100 more ftlb of torque.

The weight difference is about 100 pounds which seems like a good trade off. I guess for autocross the s14 may be better.
              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                I'm curious why you would swap the s38 out?
                Ive been very happy with the M3 and Ive been trying to recreate that nimble good handling feel in my 325is. From driving it around the car does seem to handle better now. Also there were little things with the s38 swap that still needed attention. Like fix the hood or lower subframe, wasnt happy with no brake booster, little things I just was tired of dealing with. Also happy to have to buy parts for only one engine now.

Fitted it with a supersprint exhaust. May put it in the M3 but for now its in the 325is. Quick video the afternoon we first got it on the streets.

Haven't been doing too much work. Enjoying driving. Random photos.

Name:	20150803_181627-1.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	7179917

Name:	20150803_194015.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	7179918

Name:	20150825_170311.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	7179919

Name:	20150825_164300.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	7179920
                Renown 100 Motorsport Wheel for M3.

Name:	20150825_170120.jpg
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	7179921

The Build:

Comment

Took the M3 to a local car show last night. Hit some highway exit ramps in the S52 powered clown shoe to the right. Fun little car.

Name:	11920591_10206791036390379_916556794_n.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	7179922

Name:	20150825_195024.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	7179923

Name:	20150825_233237.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	7179924

Name:	20150825_233244.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	7179925

Name:	20150825_233304.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	7179926
                  Last edited by ttrousdell; 08-26-2015, 03:05 PM.

The Build:

Comment

Wow. I am only 7 months into my first E30 and reading all of your builds and swaps and difficulties has really motivated me to keep going. These cars are really so great. Thank you for sharing your build with us :)

1989 325is Coupe - Bonnie *SOLD*
                    1991 325isCoupe - Astro

I have a BMW addiction, I guess that's what brings me here today :D

Photographer / Audiophile - Purveyor of Quality
                    StanceWorks Fanatic - Track Inspired / Quality Builds

Comment

Originally posted by Justin_e30 View Post
                      Wow. I am only 7 months into my first E30 and reading all of your builds and swaps and difficulties has really motivated me to keep going. These cars are really so great. Thank you for sharing your build with us :)
                      They are fun and there is a lot you can do with them. Thanks for reading and good luck with your build.

Got a lot of work done on my 325is last week to prepare it for AutoX.
                      • Install new oil pump parts, Inner and outer rotor.
                      • Install my new "Mega Sump" racing oil pan. Large baffles, larger oil reservoir. Pictured in picture below.
                      • Re-paint interior with POR-15
                      • Valve Adjustment
                      • Bolt in half cage
                      • Design better gauge holder for center console and other little things.

All back together. Wire tied the sprocket nut.

Valve Adjustment. Most were spot on or only required one shim size fatter to get right.
                      Info.. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technica...djustment-r122

Managed to get everything done before the event. I was surprised at the number of E30s there. 8 or so with 3 being E30 M3s. Of course you had a ton of miatas as well.

Waiting for the next run

All and all a great day. I ran a 51.7sec for the course. A regular there with a lightly modified E30 M3 ran a 48sec and the best run a 46 in a modified MR-2. I was impressed and motivated to beat that dude in the M3. Unfortunately I don't have any videos or pics on the course but ill be back this Saturday with the go-pro.
                      Best time in the D class.

The Build:

Comment

Bring the black one next time!!!!!!!!!!!
                        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Spent the last few days taking the M3 on a road trip through PA and Upstate NY. Met up with F34R for some back roads driving, gun shooting and lake swimming.

Thanks for viewing.

The Build:

Comment

Another AutoX event with the S14 325is

Well I caught the bug and before i knew it a few boxes in suspension parts were at my door. What I ordered was
                            -Suspension techniques Sway bar kit. front and rear.
                            -AKG E30 M3 Poly mounts. These ended up raising my engine more than half an inch. My old mounts were shot.
                            -Reinforcing plates and poly bushings for subframes.
                            -Adjustable end links for front sway bar.

Bit the bullet and bought the AKG shifter. Was it worth the $375...I try not to think about that but I really do love the shifter.

Began with removing the subframes and old rubber bushings. Don't forget this has always been a backyard operation.

Subframes ready for reinforcing plates.

I started using argon/Co2 gas instead of flux core in my MIG. As you could guess it left better welds.

Poly bushings installed. Rear camber and toe kit welded in.

3 years ago when I took out the rear subframe for the first time I noticed my brake lines on the T looked very corroded. I didn't have a brake line flare tool at the time so the job was put on hold until now.

New brake lines were made up from lines I had lying around and stainless lines replaced the remaining old rubber lines. The subframe was finally able to be mated with the chassis again.

Driving after these changed was as you would expect. Awesome. Its faster and handles better than the M3.

In other news I was browsing the local Craigslist the other morning and came across a 1973 tii located close to my house. The post was recent so thinking I had a good chance of getting it I sent a reply. I heard back and that afternoon I was looking at the car.

I spent a good hour poking around the body trying to gauge the rust. Although it will need a good amount of rust work the body is solid and will be a good platform for restoration. I really have no place to restore it right now so I don't anticipate this being a quick project. It maybe years before I get to major work. The important thing is I finally have a 2002 with most of the desirable characteristics I was looking for.

Time to introduce the new member to the family.

Got it about 2 miles down the road and then my troubles started. Car went from running well to bucking/loss of power. Fuel issue. The PO left no gas in the car so I figured it needed gas. Parked it next to this old merc and went to walmart to get a gas can and to the service station. Came back about 20 min later put the gas in and we were off again. Made it another 1/4 mile and then the same issues started. Slow loss of power till finally it didn't have enough balls to get above 1k rpm. Dying at idle.

Im thinking i should have taken it for a longer test drive last night instead of just a few rips in his neighborhood to make sure it goes through all gears.

Decided to call the tow.

After we got it off the tow truck i went to drive it again. Started right up and idled great. Whipped it around the block a few times and then the same issues stared. Gradual loss of power till it can barely move. Too me it seems like its after it gets warmed up.

Happy intake boot.

Interior and trunk

interior

As far as rust, the pedal box is gone along wit a small section of the drivers side frame. There are quarter size holes in some places of the trunk and on the rear and front valance. Nothing seems unmanageable tough.
                            In the mean time before the big stuff ill probably come back to the lot soon to try and clean out the fuel system and give it a tune up.

Tucked away in my uncle's lot.

Last edited by ttrousdell; 11-12-2015, 09:19 PM.

The Build:

Comment

Congratulations on the roundie.
                              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                Congratulations on the roundie.
                                Thanks dude.

Some Pics of the M3 at a recent meet.

Finally made it over to work on the 02' today. The plan was to check the fuel system first. Most likely the filters where dirty so I followed this guide.

Well as you might have guessed the fuel system was full of rust. Picture of the inside of the gas tank. Pump suction screen had a good amount of rust on it (fig 88.

Inlet to fuel filter (fig 90)

I turned on the pump and measured flow at the bay. Normal flow is around 950ml every 30sec. I was at about 200ml in that time. Pulled the pump that's located by the rear subframe. as you can see the inlet to the pump was packed full of rust (fig 89). I'm surprised anything was able to pass.

Pulled the filter on the k-fish (fig 91). At least that was clean.
                                I pulled the tank out and ill probably send it out to be reconditioned soon.

Some more shots of the 02'. Really love this car. Totally different feeling from a e30.

dirty bay for now. Pulled a mouse nest out from under the fuse box.

Some driving with the 325is and my buddies Mcoupe.

Last edited by ttrousdell; 11-14-2015, 03:30 PM.

The Build:

Comment

Working...
                                X