Project Daily 318iS now with 24v

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    1-4-2011 -Found the milkshake under the valve cover, spark #3 covered in oil.

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    m42 mkay.

    Leave a comment:


  • SpoolnDaapex
    replied
    Nice save!

    In my experience hesitant low rpms and smooth higher rpms can be due to a loss of compression. Along with the white smoke, im guessing you'll find a cracked head gasket and hopefully, not a cracked head.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    If I can find a new fender I'd rather do that.

    I'm going to keep the M42 and just build it as I got. I don't have lots of cash to throw at it now anyway. Still, slowly ripping the head off.

    Leave a comment:


  • bernzpeed
    replied
    just get a new fender instead of bondo.

    Leave a comment:


  • eur04lif3
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    Thanks guys.
    Any cool M42 links or ideas would be awesome.

    I'm about to tear the block apart today and see what I find
    i hope u keep the m42 :up:

    best info i found and help i got on them is here: http://m42club.com/forums/

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Thanks guys.
    Any cool M42 links or ideas would be awesome.

    I'm about to tear the block apart today and see what I find

    Leave a comment:


  • e30_3I8I
    replied
    Ur burning coolant. i believe white smoke is for that... U mite have a bad head gasket or sumthing.
    But awesome find, Good luckk with the project.

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    Ha ha - you've got work to do !

    Never seen so much cosmoline before.

    Viva la e30/318is !

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Getting it home


    Dash


    Seats aren't that bad

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    started a topic Project Daily 318iS now with 24v

    Project Daily 318iS now with 24v

    After the whole year of searching I finally found a rust free 1991 E30. Although I've never owned an M42 before, it feels good to own a car that you know everything about. Sometimes I feel I know these cars more than myself...


    Now that I'm back in another one, let's get started.

    Not bad for $500

    She's Sterling Silver, 80K miles, no rust except surface (rear kick), black sport interior, M42/240-5, umm... Little fender bend and some mechanical issues. This thread will be devoted to me doing a slight resto-mod.

    1-1-2011
    Brought her home and wash the hell out of it.
    Attached the coolant hoses only to find a horribly fast leaking water pump.





    Started her up without coolant, not much smoke but after adding seafoam to the oil and coolant in the radiator out pours white smoke!
    Motor hesitates and shakes pretty bad in the lower RPM's but when you bring it above 3k it r3v's so smoothly and nice. anything below it sounds horrible and misses. She pours white smoke when you hit the gas as if it just got a seafoam treatment through the intake.

    Other bads,
    -Ugly nasty dark tint
    -needs new steering rack (pops and clicks)
    -Needs new driver fender or bondo
    -DASH IS EPIC FAIL! Large cracks and glue everywhere
    -Rear pass. wheels is noisy, new bearing in order.
    -Dick headed wiring of a cheap alarm.
    Goods,
    None really. nice-ish interior and original BMW "swipe" style radio.

    Now, before I tear this engine down I wanted some suggestions on what to do or what the issue might be. Here's a quick video of how it sounds.
    Please excuse my truck running in the background. I know it makes it hard to hear the car but this should still give you an idea of what's going on.


    any ideas?
    My major issue right now is this. Weather to tear the motor apart and machine/rebuild or to find a swap. Only thing about going the swap route is it has to be plug and play right now as I don't have time to source parts or the extra cash so M20 or M50 sounds legit.
    I'll have more pics later but now, time to shampoo!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vtec?lol; 08-21-2011, 08:11 PM.
Working...