No announcement yet.

91 318is Never ending project(s) journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received my MarkD 93 octane chip. Installed and noticed a smoother idle, more power in the mid range and overall a great decision.

Here is a pic of the chip prior to installation.
    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
      My OEM glovebox flashlight was getting worst and worst on light output. I found a DYI for replace the button batteries with a AAA version that home phone uses. This was done in Europe so sourcing US equivalent parts took a week to find but I got it. I opened it up and little by little solder in the new components and boy is it bright. The bulb is yellow but its has a bright white output around 5700K color.

Here is a picture of the insides:

Any one here going to the Vintage in NC? I registered on 1/1 and this will be my first time.
      Interested in part numbers if you still have them. I have a spare and would like to try this.

Yes, Vintage is great. You'll love it. Will be there with 02 if sunny, or with 318is if rain forecast. Would love to see your car since mine is basically the same model

Comment

Originally posted by jdt10768 View Post
        Interested in part numbers if you still have them. I have a spare and would like to try this.

Yes, Vintage is great. You'll love it. Will be there with 02 if sunny, or with 318is if rain forecast. Would love to see your car since mine is basically the same model
        Send me a PM and I will get you the part numbers and where I sourced the bulb and battery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
          Send me a PM and I will get you the part numbers and where I sourced the bulb and battery.
          PM'd you for more info. I have like 10 of these flashlights laying around and probably should get a couple of them operational.

MJ

Comment

PMs replied.

Comment

After having my front german license plate for 18 years and its probably older as I came from previous owner, I decided to get a new one from z-plates. Came quickly and looks great. Just getting the car prepped for the Vintage.

Comment

More prep for the Vintage, finally getting to finish my front seats to match the rears with mtech fabric and micro suede bolters. I first needed to clean up the rails on the passenger seat. A good wire wheel and then a few coats for SEM trim paint to make it look new. Here is one side done and the other still to go. Passenger seat rails are still in much better condition compared to the driver seat.

Comment

I need a flashlight [emoji363]. PayPal ready....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

More prepping for the Vintage. I started on the rear end rebuild and got all the brake items removed. Next is to remove the diff/subframe.

I basically finished the passenger seat after all these years. Life and kids came in right after I finished the rear seat. I still need to prep and and paint the hinge covers and levers to recline seat forward for backseat entrance. Seat should go in this week so I can start the same on the driver side.

Here are the rails and even the rod(freshly painted with SEM) ready for the bottom seat. I decided to paint bar to remove the metal finish which showed a little oxidation.

Here is a freshly painted side molding. My original had 2 small cracks so I took it from donor seat. I want to get new stickers but having a hard time finding PNs. Might be NLA and only using reproductions is the way to go. Used SEM prep soap and then the BMW black color from Colorbond.

Here is the bottom put together with the molding, hinge and rail. I installed 4 brand new shocks.

Here is the final view before the trim pieces get installed. Took picture at a weird angle it seems.

I need to rebuild seat belt receptacle or will buy a new one from BMW.

Comment

Here is the seat installed. Waiting for a new seatbelt receptacle from BMW and waiting for some more suede material to recover the rear panel and change the vinyl.

Comment

Got a few parts today to complete the passenger seat. New screws for the back panel and the seatbelt receptacle. BMW only makes it with the electrical connector. Not needed on the passenger side.

Comment

oh sweet. thought the seatbelt recepticle was nla. this is looking very nice. good work.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
                            oh sweet. thought the seatbelt recepticle was nla. this is looking very nice. good work.
                            Not sure if they were NLA and came back but a little pricey in my opinion, but nothing to crazy if you are in a rebuild and these should last another 20 years. The action on the release is very smooth. They only come with the sensor connection that some cars have on the driver side. I didn't cut it but tucked it away under the seat.

Comment

Got the subframe removed today. Very happy that the subframe bushings did not get fused to body like last time. It has been about 10 years since replaced. While I prep to move the items over to the e30 m3 subframe, I decided to get shocks mounted up with the new AKG poly rear shock mounts. Very nice quality and used a BMW supplied gasket. It of course is not a BMW made product but Elring which can be obtained via the aftermarket world. But its a nice to know for next time and that BMW trusts this brand. I know this is the sought after brand for gaskets but sometimes hard to obtain. Victor Reinz and can't remember the other common brands are crap.

Here is the mount and new gasket.

Here it is installed.

Gave the shock and protector a new cleaning and both are now installed ready for subframe. The old version were Meyle HD and they had some good deep cracks on the bottom side. Nothing where it was loose but it would get there sooner than later. Got a good ~10 years out of them.

Moving on to subframe mounts.

Comment

Here is a picture of the e30 m3 subframe. From what I can tell, the only difference besides the PN and cost, is that there is an extra bracket for what looks to be an exhaust hanger. You can see it in the picture and it is very close to where the diff mounts. I am going to use this part as well because the owner that I bought it, had installed the tabs from AKG to slot the TA bushings to allow for toe and camber adjustment with BMW OE bolts.

Aerial view of subframe, you can see the AKG subframe bushings. I went with the softest option. Left shows top of bushing exposes and right has the washer on top.

Here is a closeup of the bushing and you can see the tabs that were welded on with the slotted hole.

AKG rtabs with the eccentric bolt through it. The inside of the poly bushings have grooves to apply grease to keep things quiet. I will add ATE plastilube.

Comment

Working...
                                X