No announcement yet.

91 318is Never ending project(s) journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex, I finally made it through the entire thread. It’s a great collection of rare parts and is coming a long well, but from page one I wondered when the paint was coming. Maybe I’m wrong and those old photobucket pics screwed up the look...

post some current pics!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Alex, I finally made it through the entire thread. It’s a great collection of rare parts and is coming a long well, but from page one I wondered when the paint was coming. Maybe I’m wrong and those old photobucket pics screwed up the look...

post some current pics!
      Here you go, most are from today as I am hosting a vintage BMW meeting in South Florida with 2 other e30 owners. Washed and cleaned the car for it. The last two are from a few months ago. I am collecting parts to paint it. Just waiting on a new rear bumper to come in.

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Cool car! do you leave the driver seat out for wear reasons?

88' m3
        91' 318is

Comment

Originally posted by travis816 View Post
          Cool car! do you leave the driver seat out for wear reasons?
          Thanks. At first it was just not having time and in the last few years it turned into preventing wear until I paint the car as I only have a passenger maybe 3-4 times a year.

Comment

Have done a few things while still collecting some parts for the paint job. I took care of a leaky top o-ring on the AC compressor. While doing it, I replaced the r134a service ports and valves from BMW. The blue and red caps are nice and bright. The internal valve was replaced with a kit I got from Amazon that also has the same tool.

Here is the low pressure installed:

I also took the change to replace the watertight insulated connectors for the AC compressor as they deteriorated and one of the connector plugs was broken. I has connected them and just used heat shrink tubing to protect from water. I added new tips and new connectors from BMW.

Comment

Another update a long time coming. Steering wheel would rattle over bumpy or uneven payment. First I thought it was balancing or something worn but the rattle is only felt with the steering wheel. The airbag steering knuckle guibo was starting to show the cords. The part is a one piece solution riveted for the airbag cars. It has recently gone NLA. I decided to do what many do, remove the rivets and add the stock or aftermarket guibo. I decided on rubber and all the other materials, while great for the track will, not make it as enjoyable on regular roads as the rubber item. I got all new hardware from BMW for the conversion. I can saw that the little rattle is gone but need to really drive it on the highway to test. Luckily just remove the bolts from the steering rack is enough to get the knuckle off in my case. I can now service this if needed with out remove these bolts.

Here are the cords showing through the rubber which was allowing it to flex and cause the rattle.

Here are all the new parts from BMW.

All back together. Also used a wire brush to remove grime and old cosmoline on the aluminum.

Comment

Another small update. Noticed a little oil on the floor of garage. Found out one of the bolts for the lower oil pan had fallen out. Feared something was stripped and over time it backed out. Order new bolt from BMW, and sure enough, it was striped. I order the timesert m6 kit and off I went. Replaced the gasket with a version from BMW, which is from Elring but seems to be a different model than when you get it aftermarket. Also replace the front bolts that had oxidation due to threads being exposed from the top. Also, did a cleaning of the inside/outside with Simple Green and a toothbrush. Didn't take a pic of the before.

Timesert installed:

A cleaned lower oil pan (I then took a wire wheel to remove any old gasket residue):

Gasket:

Comment

Those oil pan bolts are just a headache waiting to happen...
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yup. Luckily in 30+ years this is the first one. Key is to use a torque wrench. Aluminum is way too soft.

Comment

After using Bosch batteries, non-AGM for the last 10 years, I have decided to find an AGM replacement. Going through my records, I have changed it out every 2-3 years for it not able to hold a charge over night. With Pepboys being sold, and they no longer carrying Bosch, I decided to go with an Odyssey AGM 96R battery. Our cars and probably the 325i/is with battery in the trunk, uses the T6/GRP91 size. While a H6/GRP48 will work, it is an inch taller. The only GRP91 I find that is AGM is from Bosch and nothing easily found in my area. The 96R size is same width and height as the the 91 just a little shorter in length. As long as you can get creative with the tie down, it will work just fine. I installed it tonight and all is good. Even the SI board GGraves voltmeter reads higher with the key in position 1. This deeper cycle battery should hold out better and it comes with 3 year warranty from Autozone. I have a GRP 93 on the shelf, 3 yrs old, AGM and still has 12.6v.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nbZrTw]

Comment

So here is what I was up to. Doing some research, the 911 guys do this battery upgrade and confirmed an owner with e30 m3 street version car did it as well. There is an Odyssey battery, the PC925, that is much smaller, still AGM, and about ~12lbs lighter, and also cheaper than the 96 I bought. Because I was within my 30 days, Autozone happily exchanged it and credit me the difference.

I also found a company that makes a kit to mount it. Company is call Rennline, same as the one with the phone mount I installed. I purchased the universal kit and bolted it with 2 bolts to the existing e30 plastic battery tray. I did get measurements in having conversations with them. Great customer service.

Here are the old 96R batter compared to the new 925. I did have to by the SAE terminal posts which is nice as it has a bolt that screws in on top. Used it for the trickle battery charger connectors.

The posts (from Odyssey):

The battery installed with the Rennline mounting kit:

Comment

So after almost 15 years and almost 100K miles, I decided to swap out my static Billy/H&R combo for something adjustable. Went with Koni Sports and GC kit.

The old and new shock. I have AKG rear shock mounts the insert is still very good as it is only a few years old and not much mileage. I set the shot to a quarter turn before stiffest rebound to try it out.

New shock all together:

Old OE Sports vs GC adjuster and Eibach spring. This is lowest setting to demonstrate but I have set it to something between HR race and sports

Springs and adjuster installed:

Comment

Found the passenger side engine mount head shield cracked and a little rusty. Ordered a new plate and bolt.

Comment

Purchased a new headlight button with a fresh stencil. I will keep the old one and remove all the old grime, remove stencil and apply a new one in the future.

Before:

After:

Comment

I found out I was missing a small trim piece in the trunk. BMW still has it and very cheap. The car jack hinge has a cover on the right side.

The part:

Before:

After:

Comment

Working...
                                X