Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 318is Never ending project(s) journal

Hey guys,

Been on most e30 forums for last 3 yrs and have logged my progress on the m42 forum. Bringing it out to other e30s. Hope I can help others along the way thru my experienced. Have been working on BMWs since 96 with e28s. Have an 88 m5 that is a current restore project on hold (for last 5 years). I am just copying it from my other posts so some might be outdated when I talk about it.

Here is car after 2 years of ownership, bought it from sister for $500.

Fresh top end rebuild with all gaskets and hoses replaced Jan '07.
    Add H&R Sports and Bilstein Sports over winter break.

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Here is another upgrade I did recently. I have the all stainless steel shift know from UUC, RK5, which by the way their customer service is excellent as I received 2 damaged knobs in the mail before this one, and they retuned it every time no questions ask and paid for shipping both ways. I then added a micro suede boot with silver stiching to match. With te flash the boot looks lighter but its actually as black as the carpet mats. I have the matching ebrake but waiting for the boot to get rid of the rubber bellow. Will post pics once installed.

Comment

just waxed the car today with zaino bros kit, started with clay, then z5, z2, z6.

Comment

I just installed Dynomat on the rear deck shelf. Have a 10" free air under the deck in the trunk. I guess over time, things started to vibrate just a little. The car sounds great inside and barely noticeable outside with my current setup, so I don't need to add this to the whole trunk. Just added this little amount of insulation to the shelf. So now that I am doing the interior, I will get some fabric to redo my shelf.

here are some pics:

Comment

after many recommendations, I received my next project in the mail. Hope to start on it within the next week. Mine are currently shot. Then only need motor mounts and all bushings have been replaced in the last 2 years.

Powerflex Trailing Arm Bushings. And I must say, the best packaging for a product I have seen in a long time.

Comment

Well after the hard time trying to manually press in the new bushings, I had a shop press them in. What a difference. Only drove it home from the warehouse when I installed them and it was raining so, not sure if they are noisy, but believe they were quiet. But what a difference. Rear feels tighter as I already upgraded the subrame bushing. After I finish the front brake rebuild, I will order the powerflex subframe bushing so it can be event tighter.

Here is a pic of them installed....

Comment

Well while out of town, got my next part in. e30 m3 brake master cylinder. I had already ordered the 12mm to 10mm pipe about 6 months ago. I will also rebuild the front calipers, with new seals. Will also paint them black. I already rebuilt, and painted the rears about 8 months ago. Just was waiting for the brake cylinder to do the front. Will also finish the install of UUC stainless steel lines.

Comment

Finally installed my new 14" Spal aux fan as my used replacement seized. I kept the same wiring which led me to use the stock resistor so I still have the 2-speed options. My radiator temp switch is also new. It push so much air that my temp needle does not reach noon on the gauge. After a week, will remove the fan clutch to see if this is enough to cool engine. People have said it is, but just will test it out. Here are pics of the old and new and the new installed. In the pic of the new one mounted, zip ties still needed to be cut. A bracket can be fabricated to use the stock mounting points but felt it was easier and good enough with 4 zip ties. A 16" can fit, but will be larger than the condenser, so a bracket will be needed.

Comment

Another update: Installed a newer set of shifter and e-brake boots. Re-doing my whole interior with Kevin's (The Aritsan on other forums) kit. Also went for the boots. Here they are installed. I need to detail the car and the pics are without flash so that it doesn't take away from the black. Ned more sunlight for the my pics.

Comment

Here is the deck all done...now on to the rear seat belts....

Comment

Well tonight I ended up doing the new rear headrests. My new rear seats will be different then what is currently, and they came with headrests, can't wait. Will start on the lower half this weekend. Originally in tan leather, and it good condition, just needs a cleaning. If I get the skins off without rips, so far headrests ok, I will sell the kit for anyone who needs it. So far not hard job to do it yourself. Kevin's kit and instructions are worth it.

Here is before and after (just need to vacuum little debris from new cloth)...

Comment

Update on interior: Finished the rear bottom seat. Surprise, its from the e30 m3. Started on to top part and should go much faster. Here is the results (using mtech cloth with black micro fiber):

Comment

Finished the top part and very cool part....they originally came with the rear headrest which is going to be an added plus. Next it to pull the rear side panels and front seats to shampoo the carpets. Install everything the rear and then start on the front seats.

Here is the final pic....

Comment

Haven't done much to car lately, just oil change and gas. Starting to get back into the swing of things while I wait for some parts to continue the interior rebuild.

Currently my front bushings seem to be on their way out and they are squeaking and small thumping while driving at low speeds. So decided to start with my AKG upgrades, here is the first one, front CAB M3 offset (ready for install). Waiting on some ATE Plastilube to install them.

Comment

Have been busy with other stuff and luckily that car is just a daily driver with no issues. Just gas and go. I am starting to give more time to it. After changing my hood release cable becasue it snapped, the cable straps which hold the cable and other electrical cables snapped due to age and being brittle. After 3 attempts to get the right straps, I did. I installed them today. Next to is to replace a hose that is leaking power steering fluid, very annoying.

Here are 2 of the old ones and the 3 new ones. The old ones are short due to breakage.

Picturs before:

Pictures after:

Comment

Working...
                              X