Project Maddvibe: ZXERT's E30 DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Maddvibe: ZXERT's E30 DD

I bought this BMW E30 for $500 from a local, a r3v and e30tech forum member.
    1984 BMW 318i/5spd/Alpine/Roofhole

The car is in very rough shape, it needs a lot of work. This is another E30 that has been SAVED.

The last night it will EVER spend outside.

Finally home in its comfy new room. Mess as all hell. Seriously I need to organize my shit.

The assessment begins.
    Open her up and let her air out.

Sloppy Shifter

Inserting the Circlip didn't fix it, must be the linkage.

Reverse light wiring is jacked. Time to learn how to meld wires.

Back soot in the windex tank

A New one is needed. That = UPGRADES!

A random oil pressure gauge sitting near the battery. Nice.

The pickup point is on the left side of the valve cover

No A/C. Good thing its winter.

Of course a cracked dash

Dash is completely jacked

Upgrades needed here

Free gum

Long drive + hunger = NOM!

Dead.

Pool of water in the trunk, soaked it up with paper towels.

Dirty trunk.

Custom Antenna delete. Very aerodynamic.

Missing toolkit, need to find out what that wire does.

Battery Tray

Exposed wires coming through the firewall near the battery tray. Anyone know what these are?

Pulled the shift rod out and found that it is a CUSTOM SHORT SHIFTER. This car just got faster.

Very short.

Engine bay shot.

1st Project:
    I started my repair of the broken shift linkage. I ordered the following parts:

I dropped the rusty exhaust and bottom pan as well as the driveshaft support bracket and pulled them off the car. Time to refresh them while I wait for parts to come.

Exhaust

Rusty muffler

Muffler bracket

Bottom pan

Wire brush, meet e30.

I wirebrushed the living crap out of all the parts, cleaned them with simple green and painted them with Rustoleum High Temp Silver, 2 coats each.

Seriously terrible welds on the exhaust.

Little better.

Cleaned up the bolts with my favorite tag team.

and

PARTS CAME IN!
    I finally got my parts to rebuild the shift linkage. I also had in mind a little trick to make the shift console more rigid.

Before actually rebuilding the linkage I noticed that half of the support bracket that links the shift console to the transmission was missing. The bolt and some of the rubber was all that was left.

In comes the new part which was $36 for the bracket and the bolt. Automall BMW rapes my wallet.

The existing bracket didn't look so good either. The bushing is shot, so I added a huge washer that will compress the metal sleeve inside the bushing and make the console more rigid.

I threw on a new nylon cup to smooth out the shifts, heres old vs. new.

The bushing below accounted for almost all the slop in the shifting mechanism, aside from the linkage and the missing bracket of course.

So I spent entirely too much time at the hardware store figuring out a new solution and came up with this.
    Last edited by zxert; 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
    And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Ace hardware info if you're interested.
    Bolt

Nut

Big Washers

Locking Washer

Closeup installed. Its very rigid and secure.

Completed Shift console

On the car. It wont budge, very rigid.

Now its time to complete the shift linkage.
    The inside of the "Gear Selector Joint" as this is called, houses a small spongey bushing. Once this goes, so does the tension in the mechanism. The old one, pictured below, had basically turned into a greasy gel.

Heres the new one for comparison.

The new Gear Selector Joint was a tiny bit different. The main issue was that the dowel, pictured below, wouldn't fit. A little dremel action with a carbide bit fixed that. Something to note if you're rebuilding.

Also the Circlip that is shown above wouldn't work, it would catch on the shift console and rip the clip off. Which is bad if you're out and about. My problem was that the original smaller circlip was jacked. After some hammering it was straight, but not straight enough.

In comes my C clamp. I REALLY need a vice.

This thing is a HUGE pain in the ass to install. Took me 30 minutes just to get that dowel in. Push in the dowel, slide the compression bushing/sleeve over the hole. Done

It goes Shift link rod\O-Ring\Gear Selector Joint\Plastic Washer\Circlip

Shift console installed. Much better.

Shift rod installed. There is no play in the system now. Great Job!

Take a break, eat a hot pocket.

Ponder my garage cleanup. Seriously needed.

Newly painted stuff installed.

Done. Notice the gangster lean.

Compression Test/New plugs
    First thing I noticed was the plug in cylinder 4. I pretty much cried when I saw that. Tears of joy, an m50 is closing than I thought.

Cylinder 1.

Cylinder 2.

Cylinder 3.

Cylinder 4.

Terrible numbers. But I can still get some miles out of it before it totally dies.

Garage cleanup/Mini photo shoot.
    It wasn't raining today so it was my day to make the E30 a little more comfortable and easier to work on. Heres what I started with.

Pulled her outside and just started snapping reference pics.'

Haha, I love this one. It reminds me of quasi moto. Plastic surgery soon to come!

This thing smokes like a diesel. Nice.

Scratch damage on the rear passenger 1/4.

Nice try on that touch up. Very close.

Huge guy under a small car = bad.

New hood for sure.

Needs some attention.

Front moulding looks like bacon. Mmmm. Bacon.

Rear trim wont stick. Needs a heatgun and some c-clamp action.

Driver side fender yuckiness.

Will paint windshield trim.

Interior is perfect. And comfy. And it doesn't smell like a dumpster full of rat fetuses!

A rear deck is a bad place for a sleeping cat. Just FYI.

My wifes new car. If you guys haven't checked out the new Kia's. You should. I dismissed this car until my wife insisted on a test drive. Its quiet, controlled, decent power, comfy. I was very surprised.
    Last edited by zxert; 02-02-2011, 12:39 PM.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys

Comment

Half-way done with the garage. I built a shelf for all my products/fluids. Since my budget is literally $0, I made that shelf out of a 2 foot long 2x4 and some fence boards. Hung up the bikes at least. I swear I trip over those shits like every other day.

<3 my E30

Now on to the next problem.

It overheats. It was leaking coolant at the radiator cap. First try, O'Reilly, Wrong cap. 2nd, Autozone, Don't carry it. 3rd BMW Dealership, $25! No thanks. Finally, Napa Auto Parts $14, had it in stock. I'll start hitting them up more.

Today I will try and see if the cap was the only problem causing it to over heat. It does cycle coolant just fine so the thermostat/water pump has to be good. We'll see.

And BTW its now registered and insured.
      Last edited by zxert; 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Saved for updates too.

Comment

s50 and an Mtech 1 kit :up:

Comment

1. Get it running
            2. Get it clean
            3. Suspension
            4. S50/5Spd/LSD
            5. Turbo
            6. ???
            7. Profit.

Comment

Meld wires?

I don't think it's a custom shifter, it looks like a stock shifter to me. Early shifters were like that, two piece.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Damn, you have alot of work ahead of you, good luck.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Did you really just spray paint your deck silver along with your exhaust? Dont be lazy, lay down some newspaper or cardboard next time. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                    Meld wires?

I don't think it's a custom shifter, it looks like a stock shifter to me. Early shifters were like that, two piece.
                    FINE. SOLDER! :D

And I was commenting on the length, all the diagrams/pics of stock E30 shiftrods I can find show much longer AFTER-BALL length.

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
                      Damn, you have alot of work ahead of you, good luck.
                      Thanks man.

Originally posted by e46s54dr View Post
                      Did you really just spray paint your deck silver along with your exhaust? Dont be lazy, lay down some newspaper or cardboard next time. LOL
                      Haha its cool. That deck is useless and come springtime its gone. Its really just attracting termites at this point. The sections I spray painted will be protected from termites. Even if they exceed 2000F. LOL

Comment

Updates made. Plus I need this post for future updates.

Comment

This one too.

Comment

thanks for saving that E30.
                            E30 buildy things
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

(Space reserved for future comment)

Comment

Working...
                              X