No announcement yet.

Twin turbo V6 E30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VQ motors are crap. They can't handle power very well and need to be built just to handle 400hp. Slap a turbo kit on your stock 350z and fell the pow... I mean rod failure! They do sound really good though...
    Last edited by ///Maddog9000; 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM.
    '08 328i Sedan -daily touring car
    '89 335i Coupe -parting out
    '01 330i Sedan -divorced
    '90 325i Coupe -smashed

e30m50tu@gmail.com

Comment

VQ30DET is not out of a Z, it's out of a JDM luxury car, Y31 Cima and Cedric. It's factory turbo so is 9:1 compression and has better internals than a DE. Google will reveal all.

Over here we get very good power from them with no reliability issues at all(it's not a dirty old RB). 4-500hp atw on Dyno Dynamics dynos is not uncommon on completely std VQ30DET's with injectors, large turbo and engine management. The only failures have been from spinning drift car engines past 8000rpm on downshifts.

It is not common practice to bang turbos on NA engines with std management and RRFPR's over here either. This might have something to do with failures on turboed NA engines.
      You can get a full featured ecu with self tuning, variable cam timing control, boost, antilag, idle control that works, etc etc for $1000 here. Spend $2000 and you can run a V12 with dual knock sensors, quad variable cam timing and dual E throttle.
      ECU's are cheap over here so not many people do it the wrong way. :)

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
        australia is the new norway
        It'll take more than just 1 build to beat the Scandinavians, but this is a VERY promising start :)

Comment

Originally posted by jzk25 View Post
          VQ30DET is not out of a Z, it's out of a JDM luxury car, Y31 Cima and Cedric. It's factory turbo so is 9:1 compression and has better internals than a DE. Google will reveal all.

Over here we get very good power from them with no reliability issues at all(it's not a dirty old RB). 4-500hp atw on Dyno Dynamics dynos is not uncommon on completely std VQ30DET's with injectors, large turbo and engine management. The only failures have been from spinning drift car engines past 8000rpm on downshifts.

It is not common practice to bang turbos on NA engines with std management and RRFPR's over here either. This might have something to do with failures on turboed NA engines.
          You can get a full featured ecu with self tuning, variable cam timing control, boost, antilag, idle control that works, etc etc for $1000 here. Spend $2000 and you can run a V12 with dual knock sensors, quad variable cam timing and dual E throttle.
          We are Aussies over here so not many people do it the wrong way. :)
          fixed.
          Keep up the good work.
          Cheers

Comment

Been doing a bit here and there during the week on the exhaust manifolds. Finished off the passenger side this morning. The second manifold flange position was a bit of messing around because I had to make it linear with the already finished manifold. I set up a horizontal bar across the top of the front of the engine and used that to get the two turbo shafts the same distance from the engine centreline and same height.

I got a pair of intercoolers during the week as well. 60mm thick tube and fin cores that fit perfect in the frontal are when stacked on top of each other. I welded them together and just need to modify the outlets to suit the turbos/throttles when the time comes.

Also got an alloy radiator. It's for a Z32 and is pretty spot on for the job. Will run a single 16" spal with it as well as the std BMW front fan. Need to right angle the bottom outlet but otherwise it's pretty spot on.

There'll be a pair of intake pipes behind the radiator leading to a junction that will then lead to the MAF sensor. Haven't figured out where to fit the MAF yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Maddog9000 View Post
              VQ motors are crap. They can't handle power very well and need to be built just to handle 400hp. Slap a turbo kit on your stock 350z and fell the pow... I mean rod failure! They do sound really good though...

Not exactly true. I was pushing 440whp no problem in my old g35, with a e30 itll be much better because of the less weight/strain.

Pump+meth will make you a happy camper.

Comment

Have you though about building those intake runners shorter, and then enslosing in a lower profile plenum, ala E39 m5? Or do you want dual intakes?
                turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

I demand updates.

Comment

Originally posted by bene View Post
                    i demand updates.
                    +1
                    sigpic

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201774

Comment

Is there a reason why the drivers side turbo is clocked that way?

Comment

+1 on this build
                        This hahaha

Epic build mate!
                        -Nick
                        Originally posted by 87e30
                        First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Did most of the exhaust over easter. Left the rear muffler till later as I didn't get any BMW hangers and Phil's white car has a ghey bodykit that gets in the way of the tips.

Twin 2.5" from turbos to back of gearbox, into single 3" cat, back out into twin 2.5" stainless resonators and will go on to twin 2.4" into a VX commo Xforce muffler that I got for $50.

Because the car has no diff in it and I needed one for clearance I thought I'd jack the S14 diff into position. Turns out it lines up pretty well with the std mounts, will only need a machined sleeve with offset hole for the front and a bracket for the rear with an added hanger for the drivers side.

Comment

Seems like it would be easier to run an e30 diff and have a custom driveshaft made (or stock modified to fit the DET trans)

Comment

LOVE this build, but don't you worry about the exhaust dump causing unnecessary heating of the differential? Or do you plan to extend it to the rear of the car?

Comment

+1 on this build

AUSTRALIA THE LAND OF IMPRATICAL! Love living here.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X