325ic resto mod Picture Heavy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ic resto mod Picture Heavy!

I'm the pround new owner of a 1991 325ic. I bought the car for cheap, because it was a project car in pieces and the motor snapped a timing belt. I figured its cheap enough to have a winter project and perhaps sell it in the summer. It's been only two months since I bought it, but I think I'm starting to see the appeal of E30's. I mean besides the classic good looks and legendary build quality, the community is really really helpful and friendly.

First Night:

The next day taking the head off:

Look at that Carbon! My machine shop tells me that 6 valve guides need to be replaced....is that oil all from leaky guides?

This kinda looks like all the oil is all coming from the guides in this pic

I don't think the oil is from the rings take a look at the cylinder walls, you can still see cross hatching - unbelievable because the motor has over 286,000 Km (almost 178,000 miles) Did I mention the motor rotates incredibly smooth

5 Bent Valves and one broken Rocker!
    Not too bad... the pistons don't even look too damaged

oil was leaking in #1 for sure

Quick clean up:

And now porting and polishing:

3 Gasket Matched 3 polished and left OEM dimensions (Grouped like this: 1,2,3 & 4,5,6 - works with the firing order)
    I'm hoping it will increase the scavanging effect in the exhaust
    Cleaned up the bowls and polished the combustion chambers

While the head is in the machine shop, I've been buying parts to put it back together. At the moment I'm trying to figure out if the injectors used in these motors are maxxed out and should be upgraded.

My old VR6 motor made 200whp with the same size valves, but from the factory come with 19lbs injectors in a 2.8

A 2.8 is only 12% bigger then a 2.5 so simple math tells me to achieve 200whp I should use 16lbs injectors (14lbs x 1.12 = 15.6)

However I don't think the BMW engineers made a mistake when choosing the injectors, because the head flows and tumbles air really well. 2nd only to Porsche in terms of filling the combustion chamber. Maybe the intake velocity makes up for the smallish injectors. This info is from this guy, using a AVL Tippelmann flow bench in Germany:

Perhaps all I need to do is clean the injectors and buy an adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator...kinda like what Alpina did.

More to come!
    Last edited by Paradox; 02-23-2011, 08:56 PM.

I don't think you want those pitted Amber fog lenses.
    Send them to me! :D

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
      Look at that Carbon! My machine shop tells me that 6 valve guides need to be replaced....is that oil all from leaky guides?

This kinda looks like all the oil is all coming from the guides in this pic

I don't think the oil is from the rings take a look at the cylinder walls, you can still see cross hatching - unbelievable because the motor has over 286,000 Km (almost 178,000 miles) Did I mention the motor rotates incredibly smooth
      i was reading through one of my ASE books last night about this. the most common cause of oil consumption issues is bad valve guide seals and or worn guides.
      "A faulty intake valve seal allows oil to be drawn into the cylinder during the intake stroke."
      "This results in burnt oil exhaust smoke when the engine decelerates because the oil is not being diluted with gasoline during that time."
      Last edited by !kid; 02-23-2011, 09:20 PM.
      :borg:

Comment

thanks for the reply!

Putting this post up made me examine all the pictures a little better and I'm confident all that carbon was a result of the nasty cap and rotor on the car. I don't think they have been changed in a very long time. Poor Combustion + leaky valve guides equals carbon build up.
        Last edited by Paradox; 02-25-2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

A lot of carbon scoring there..

Looks like that droid has seen a lot of action.
          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Are you on bcbcimmer.com? If not you should join up! There's a ton of us with e30s. One of the members from there went to check out this car and said it was in really bad shape.

Comment

Yes I am on bcbimmers. I'm Peter_M there. Yeah the car is alot of work besides the snapped belt, it's missing carpet and needs a new top but if you ignore that the body is in really good shape.
              To me it was worth it. I guess one mans junk is another mans treasure.

Comment

Update

Got the head back from the machine shop today.

Took a closer look at all the rockers what do you guys think

And now a little head

I just bought the rear Slam Specialties SS-5 bags today
                already had the Universal Air fronts....air ride kit is almost complete just need 4 more valves

also bought a new late valence, plastic bumpers and an IS lip

New top picked up in Portland....wow what a drive for a top 10 hours and 2 hours at the border

Finally found carpet and got hooked up at JJ Custom Interiors

Have to keep telling myself Low and slow....but a 5 speed swap and turbo would make it so much more fun...crap say it again Peter: "Low and Slow"

More updates soon!

Comment

That head looks purdy! keep us updated.

Comment

New Jack Stand Stance!

Exhaust Removed - Prepping for engine and transmission removal

This is why I want to remove the engine and transmission:

Nice and greasy
                    Oil Leak probably from camshaft seal or maybe from the cracked oil cap.

Grease Everywhere

Hmmm....the cat's heat shield wrap is full of holes

Ever wonder what the inside of the heat shield looks like

Old Ceramic Fiber Insulation - to bad it got wet rusted the heat shield and destroyed itself

This is why you don't work on a car when you are frustrated:

Bolts holding the flanges were not turning - so I decided to cut them then got a little carried away. Since I plan on getting a new cat welded up this shouldn't be a problem

The second chamber after the cat is a small resonator

Time to retire this muffler

Next weekend I plan on removing the motor and transmission, clean the engine bay and prep it for paint.

Comment

looks fun. How much was the head work?

Comment

Subbed. Good progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                          looks fun. How much was the head work?
                          $601.83
                          - 6 new exhaust valve guides
                          - 1 new intake vavle guides
                          - recut valve seats - valves grinded to match
                          - min. deck resurface

I did the port and polish myself
                          I also bought 12 new rockers from Guten Parts
                          and 6 exhaust and 1 intake valve

Comment

Looks like it's time for all-new exhaust too

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              Looks like it's time for all-new exhaust too
                              For Sure! I actually just purchased the Ireland Engineering style one off ebay and muffler install kit from Bav Auto. I'll be picking those up next weekend from the shipping Depot.

While I wait for the high flow cat, I decided to build a platform so I can use my engine hoist - for some reason the wheels don't like turning when they are stuck in the mud.

This should make it easier to take the motor and tranny out.

My Ghetto Style Garage!

Pallets and OSB FTW!

Comment

Working...
                              X