X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bavarian Creampuff 'Minor' Build

UPDATE: 04/10/2011

In its prime..

A package arrived today from IE! Yayy! :) In short, one of my tie rods popped out December 23rd. Easy fix right? Right... but I said "fuck it" and put it on jack stands. A lot of shit happened last year, including a minor wreck so I'm just done dealing with fixing everything as I go. I want to do it all at once and be done(in a matter of speaking). Luckily, I have loving parents, working in the same building as I, who are willing to give me rides to and from work until my minor rebuild is done. I've been pulling in parts as frequently as possible but bills and saving for tax season have hindered me a bit... I'm close to having it road worthy again, but not quite there. This build is, in essance, a "bolt-on build" I guess. Nothing too extreme but I wanted to start a diary of my work and progress. Like any other automotive enthusiast, I want to be able to smile everytime I look at my car.

Since thats all out of the way, I'll start with what I've already done prior to the tie rod incident...

VAC aluminum trans & motor mounts
    e30 finned diff cover w/ delrin bushing
    South bend Stg III clutch
    JB Racing flywheel
    Rogue Engineering Shift Kit
    UUC Selector Rod
    Rebalanced Driveshaft
    New Guibo
    New Throttle Cable

Parts Installed:
    Remanufactured 2000 Z3 Steering Rack w/ modified coupling
    IE Urethane Steering bushing
    New CA's & balljoints, Ertalon Lollipops, new front sway endlinks
    New inner/outer tie rods
    New front hubs and bearings
    Transmission Output shaft Seal
    Shifter Seal

Parts waiting to be installed:
    272 IE Cam
    Victor Reinz Headgasket Kit
    OEM Headbolts
    Meyle Water Pump, timing belt, tensioner
    IE Shorties
    HD Rockers
    M30 AFM
    Metal Intake Boot
    CSB for driveshaft
    Urethane TABs
    Ertalon RSF Bushings
    Rota Grids 16x8(et10) Royal Bronze/Gold
    Tires are still undecided... BF-G KDWII's or Dunlop Star Specs

Parts still waiting to be bought(in order):
    19lb Bosche Injectors Bought
    Mark D chip Bought
    IE Adjustable Cam Gear
    Adj FPR
    Oil level Sensor Bought
    New foglight connectors Scavenged
    PPG Alpine II Paint (3 Qt.)
    PPG Primer & Sealer
    PPG Clear Coat
    M-Tech II LOWER side skirts(No aprons!!)
    E30 M3 Replica Wing w/ Gurney Flap
    Ground Controls!!!!!!! 450f & 600r
    Sparco Front Bar
    Rear bar(undecided)

Head needs hot tanked & re-faced.
    Thats basically where I'm sitting right now. Update as I go but the next step is pulling the head.

Sold the KT1's

Balls

RERUN

SHIT :loco:

I HATE splines

**Sigh** Like a dipshit, I forgot to move the oil pan

Intake mockup

My output shaft tool ;)

OLS Connector(IF ANY OF YOU HAVE THIS CONNECTOR LYING AROUND PLEASE CONTACT ME)

Front end back together

I love my hand tools like a little brother.

Started taking my first m20 head off so I labeled shit. I'm sure I could do this in my sleep though... A lot of it is very simplistic.

Last edited by Brandon12V; 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM.

Originally posted by Ryan...
    It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

I always wondered if that urethane IE steering coupler fit the e30. Notice any improvement?
    Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Couldnt really tell you. I have yet to drive the car since putting it on. With all the front end work done at the same time, it would be hard for me to tell. I will say this, my oem bushing was in great shape and compared to the stiffness of the IE bushing, there wasnt a noticable difference installed. Now, when taken apart & compared, the stiffness was night and day. The main reason I purchased it was b/c chances are, I wont have to replace it nearly as soon as I would an OEM bushing.

It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Is this an airbag car? If so, is the firewall un-modified for the z3 rack? The coupling looks like a nice upgrade from IE for only $20.
        Transaction Feedback!

Comment

No airbag. If you dont mind the hassle of dropping your steering rack and pulling the coupling then go for it. But its kind of a pain the ass to get to and disassemble the steering coupling. the z3 rack is practically the same as the OEM rack. The only difference I could visually notice was the PS banjo bolts located on the opposite side of the rack tower so i would imagine that nothing out of the ordinary firewall 'mods' would have to be done. Ive never dealt with an airbag e30 though so dont quote me on that.

Comment

Man Love the build! Love new parts!

Only advice i would give to you is to get rid of those IE headers... Made my car loose 8hp on the dyno....They are almost the same iner diameter as stock manifolds...
            Especially if you upgrading to the 272 cam you should buy a long tube header...It will really wake up your car!

GL!
            sigpic
            1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
            1987 325ic Black Vert
            1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
            1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

you LOST 8 hp??? holy shit. I've never heard of anyone losing hp, just not making as much as a proper long tube set. from what I've seen, the gains have been slim unless your building a high strung metric mechanic motor or nasty Stroker. main reasons I went with shorties is for the ease of install, being able to work around them, price, and ground clearance. did you end up putting your stock manifolds back on?

Comment

wheels came in today. picking them up next Friday on payday. draining the coolant an stating teardown tonight.
                forgot to post a pic of these

Comment

the kt1 are 17 or 16?

Comment

Fitment on the car was 17x10 et30 w/ 8mm spacer(final et 22), 17x8.5 et20 hubcentric rings all around. 245-40-17 & 215-45-17

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon12V View Post
                      you LOST 8 hp??? holy shit. I've never heard of anyone losing hp, just not making as much as a proper long tube set. from what I've seen, the gains have been slim unless your building a high strung metric mechanic motor or nasty Stroker. main reasons I went with shorties is for the ease of install, being able to work around them, price, and ground clearance. did you end up putting your stock manifolds back on?
                      Nope i bought a set of Ebay long tubes...Bad fitment but once installed sexy sound And really woke my car up.. Especially with the 272 cam!

You should really change them up to really enjoy that cam!
                      If you werent using the cam id say leave them but with the cam you really need the longtubes!
                      sigpic
                      1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
                      1987 325ic Black Vert
                      1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
                      1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

^^Wow Im surprised to hear about the loss of HP using the IE headers. I mean, are they that much worse than stock manifolds?

G.Verelli

Comment

IE = meh

Nice build OP!

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the thread. Subscribed! See you some Friday nights this summer. Also, I'll take a ticket for a ride in this beast!
                            87 E30 Vert Alpine DD May-Sept
                            04 E65
                            06 Denali XL
                            GMC RV- Fall weekends
                            Larson Boat-Summer Weekends
                            84 E30 318 project/part/sell?
                            91 318is parted- some parts left
                            Sold:(
                            98 E39 Sport
                            97 E38
                            95 525i
                            95 E34
                            87 524td
                            87 535is
                            (OO=ll=OO) "E30 owners seem to have wheels like some women have shoes"

Comment

Ha, you will certainly get a ride Mister.

Got some stuff finished this weekend despite trying to help my buddy take off his 528e head(which has turned into a nightmare).
                              **SIGH**

OK.. Fresh day. Get it started right with some Millstone!!

Hello pup

First thing for the day, drain the coolant. Apparently the PO didn't whether to put the 'red' shit or the 'green' shit in. Ughhh

Next up. Remove AC & Radiator... BAM!

Core Support Damage from my wreck :(

Washer Fluid Reserve... BYE

Next, Manifold & T-stat housing... BAM!

Eww..

Disassemable Manifold/ Fuel Rail & Injectors...

More Labeling...

Sneak peak at a 'cafe' project I'm working on... ;)

That is all for now. Hoping to have the head, manifold, t-stat housing, & coolant pipe @ the machine shop by friday for hot tank/sonic cleaning.

-Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X