No announcement yet.

Project FREE30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no. I haven't given up on it yet. I just need my car back because I am more than likely going to college out of state in January. The M20 will get redone the way I want to one day, but the M50 is just an easier, well budgeted route. I have to save money for college and the probability of getting the M20 going, repaired properly, and still saving enough money for school is just not reasonable right now.
    1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
    sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
    The Build...

Comment

Awesome thread man. e30 looks sick
      sigpic
      Strategic Alpine Command

Comment

I wish I can do this :( Im scared to dive into such a major project like this.
        SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
        IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
        BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

nice work keep it up
          my build here ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=lemans+blue

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine30 Wolf View Post
            Awesome thread man. e30 looks sick
            Thanks man! Appreciate it!!! It's comin together now! I'm so stoked right now!! LOL

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post
            I wish I can do this :( Im scared to dive into such a major project like this.
            It's really not too bad! But I completely understand. I was the same way for awhile. I just decided to grab the balls and do it though. LOL :D

Originally posted by sweet6e30 View Post
            nice work keep it up
            Thanks man!
            The Build...

Comment

Just a quick little update. I painted my front subframe. I'll post pics of it in a couple of days when I have a good update for you guys. The E36 will be getting paid for on Wednesday, including gettin the title taken care of and what not. Then I'll haul it home and start gettin things ready to yank the M50 and everything else I'll be using off of it. It'll be quite the donor for sure. Maybe later down the road I'll rally it.....lolz. That'll be after I get the E30 built how I want it though.
              The Build...

Comment

I may take the yellow needle idea!

that okay. everyone does red and i think yellow will look nice with the amber backlight. i cant think of any other colors..maybe some lime green!
                m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
                build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

By all means man! I REALLY like how the yellow came out. I actually tried a lime greenish color and even kind of a cyan blue. I might have a pic somewhere still if you want to see what green looked like. Personally, I didn't dig it so that's why I settled to the yellow. Looks way better IMO.

In other news, the E36 is in the drive way. It was quite the chore to get it off the trailer with a bent axle and two bent rims. I'll upload pics tomorrow for you guys.
                  The Build...

Comment

Sorry for not updating for a couple of days. Pretty busy with all kinds of random things. Trying to get rid of a few cars because I officially have 16 cars on my property now. It's getting a little outta hand.....lol. Most of them I got for parts so I am FINALLY taking everything off of all of them that I originally intended to and getting rid of the rest of the mess. I'm scrapping a 82 280zx for all the good body metal on it tomorrow and then hauling what's left of it away. Some of that will be getting used very soon.

But anyways....onto the BMW stuff!

The E36 is in the driveway currently. As I said in the previous post, it was a chore to get it off of the trailer. My trailer isn't made for low cars in the first place, but low cars with a bent axle, flat tires, and two bent rims....proves to be a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS.

So this update will be about the E36. I have to focus on it for the time being.
                    Here's some pictures.

Here you can see the rear control arm, also know as the wishbone, on the driver's side is bent. You can see the creases in it a couple inches to the right of the bottom of the shock.

This next pic is of the driver's side axle. The guy didn't really know what he was saying when he told that it was bent. It isn't, but something is definitely wrong with it. It has about an inch of play inside the hub.

This is the rear rim on the driver's side. As you can see it's pretty well fucked. It holds air, but has a slow leak.

Front rim on the driver's side. Totally fucked. Obviously not going to hold air, but thankfully no damage to anything else in that fender well.

Here is a look at the rear bumper after I did some work to it to get re-hung. Not bad overall. It'll hold and it stays out of the way.

Oh hey!! That's a good sign!!! But what ratio is it?!?!?!

Wait for it......

Look closely.....yep, it's a 3.15.....:twisted:

Anyways!!!......Too bad about the tires and rims being screwed because the tires are almost brand new. You can still see the chalk lines in between the tread.....

Here is the hood insulation all removed. As you can see, it's torn up. Well some little shithead mouse thought he needed to make a home right behind the passenger side shock tower

And an overall pic of my driveway right now. Completely riddled with cars....lol

I think this pic just looks sweet. The E36 peering out of the darkness....

My reasons for documenting this to the extent that I did is because the E36 will now be getting fixed up to serve as my DD and I will continue on with the E30 as my serious project with ALL of the modifications and such that I wanted to do to it. Unfortunately it will be on the back burner again....which I'm not happy about...but it is what it is. Thanks for looking!!

-Devin
                    The Build...

Comment

Youre an animal! Congrats on the E36...
                      -Nick
                      Originally posted by 87e30
                      First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Thanks man! Sorry for not updating lately. Been super busy with finishing the "remodel" on my garage before winter sets in and also getting the E36 into top shape for winter weather. I'll make a post right now with some updates.
                        The Build...

Comment

Sorry again for no updates for so long. My main reason is in the last post. Anyways......the E36 is officially my daily and has been for the last couple if weeks. I love it so far. Definitely lives up to being a good daily. I thought about doing a lot of "extra" to it so to speak. I want more power, but I decided to (mostly) save that urge for the E30. I'm thinking a turbo for the E36 this coming summer. Just to have a little extra power. Nothing serious. Only thinking somewhere around 8 to 12 psi. ;)

But here's some pictars :D

Obviously this is the old axle and control arm.

Here's the new stuff :)

And this is after a half days work. Right before I went and got plates and insurance on it.

Drove it on the steelies for a few days while I was waiting for my new rims to come in. Bought them from derty30 on here. Thanks again Cory!! I love them! I think they look perfect on it. I am going to powder coat them the same color this winter.

Hey what's that in the darkness.............

Oh!! It's just my Jeep and the E36 chillin together!! Can't wait to drive the Jeep again by the way. Haven't had it out in over a year and a half....:(

And another pic of the rims. It's a bad one, but oh well lol

So unfortunately this is where the E30 will rest this winter. I had to accommodate some other things in the garage, so I won't have the room for it inside this winter. :( It bums me out, BUT it IS for a good cause that involves the E30!! I wrapped it up VERY tight though.

This is one thing that got the garage over the E30. It's my roommate's new 2012 Harley 883 Sport Low. Pretty sweet bike and he got it for a COMPLETE steal!! And yes, it is complete. It's not wrecked or anything. He has a few parts off of it to start some custom tid bits on it.

Here are the other two rims stashed away for a little while. Will get these two powder coated as soon as possible and then get new tires for them. I will do the other two that are on the car soon after as well so they will all be so fresh and clean and some nice sticky tires.

AND THHEEENNNNNNN........this is the E30 love in the garage right now. It will take awhile for me to accumulate the funds for building the M20 the way I want it, sooooo I'm gonna put this beast in for awhile after I refresh it some with new bearings, seals, gaskets, and such. Maybe a mild cam. :mrgreen:

It's a Chevy 350 Target motor (for those that don't know, basically, the factory did something "aftermarket" to it before they sold it. It's basically a prototype. Hence why it is called a target motor.). I don't know exactly what is done to it. Hopefully I can find out during the rebuild. I will inspect everything extremely well.

That's all for now!! I will keep you guys posted as much as I can this winter. Thanks for reading!

-Devin
                          Last edited by drutt23; 11-06-2011, 11:04 PM.
                          The Build...

Comment

Coming in late to this thread, doh!

1 - love the color you painted the engine bay. I'd love to see the whole car in that color.

2 -

Originally posted by drutt23 View Post
                            I can't get my seat belts to unreel for some reason. I guess I shouldn't have rolled them up as far as they could go. It must have made them lock up due to crash purposes or something. So I'm bummed that I fuckin ruined four good seat belts.
                            Did you try to unreel them while they were loose or when they were bolted back into the car? I had the same problem with my stock belts that I removed, by hand they wouldn't unreel. when I bolted them back in and pulled they came right out like they were supposed to. So if you didn't bolt them in and try to unreel them give that a go and see if it works.

Comment

Lol thanks! I've debated painting the car that color a couple of times actually.

As for the seat belts, I bolted the driver's side one back in and it's still weird. It unreels now, but if I was in a wreck wearing it, I'd almost be worse off than if I didn't have it on at all. No worries tho. The seats will change so harnesses will be in order!
                              The Build...

Comment

Yea now that you mention it, my seat belt seemed a little weird/loose after I rebolted it up. I just chalked it up to the roll bar being in the way and limiting the way the stock belt naturally wanted to reel itself back up but maybe it's something different.

My belts are being replaced with harnesses as well, I had to bolt the stock belt and seat back in to take it somewhere before I was able to finish my seat install so I discovered the whole unreeling when bolted in thing.

Anyway I can't wait for winter to end for you so you can get back to work on the E30!

Comment

Working...
                                X