No announcement yet.

E30 Rally Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!! I wouldn't have expected the pool ball to thread that easily!! dang!

Also, what you can do to get rid of threads is simply chop the shift lever shorter by the required amount. Also, this eliminated the need for a jamb nut, because you can measure and cut off the right amount of the lever so that the ball bottoms out with the "5" being straight. Also, use thread lock tape so that it doesn't vibrate free, maybe even mild thread lock goo instead of the tape.

It DOES look like the pool ball needs to be lower on the shifter...

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      Nice!! I wouldn't have expected the pool ball to thread that easily!! dang!

Also, what you can do to get rid of threads is simply chop the shift lever shorter by the required amount. Also, this eliminated the need for a jamb nut, because you can measure and cut off the right amount of the lever so that the ball bottoms out with the "5" being straight. Also, use thread lock tape so that it doesn't vibrate free, maybe even mild thread lock goo instead of the tape.

It DOES look like the pool ball needs to be lower on the shifter...
      I haven't had a chance to really try it out, but when I do I might want it to be lower, in which case I'll shorten the lever. I'll use a jam nut either way, though. The thought of that thing being bottomed out doesn't seem right, and a lockwasher in there will keep it tight.
      sigpic
      "WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!" - Juha Kankkunen

CO's premier forum for all things rally - coloradorallyracing.com

Comment

Now you got me wanting a pool ball. Probably the cheapest shift knob out there, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
          Now you got me wanting a pool ball. Probably the cheapest shift knob out there, actually.
          This is how I feel

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Not only that, probably the "least likely to pop off in a hard shift to 2nd" shift knob out there.

Comment

Got my aluminum sheet for the sunroof patch today. 24" by 36" of .0625 (1/16") sheet, $30 from Metal Supermarket. I'm in the process of drilling rivet holes and rounding corners. Still deciding what color(s) to paint the roof and patch. I'll post pics when I'm done and make one consolidated post.
              sigpic

Comment

that know is money. Im doing this now. just you wait.
                sigpic

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201774

Comment

Quick update. It turns out that 9/16" hardware is harder to find than most other standard sizes. Ended up actually going to a HW store to find some. Once I did, I filed a flat in the bottom of my pool ball and indexed it with a jam nut. To avoid cutting my hand on the threads, I heat shrinked (shrunk?) the rest of them. Here's the final result:

Also, here's a sneak peek at the state of my sunroof patch:

I'm currently experimenting with coatings. I also remembered (okay, Sam remembered) that it would be smart to apply a roof vent prior to applying the roof. So today I ordered an aluminum 10" by 4" 2-way vent from a van supply store. That will get added, the existing roof will get painted a color TBD, the patch will get painted, and then the whole thing will get ~150 rivets and be done. Also, my hood pins are waiting in the mailbox and might be installed this weekend.
                  Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 04-28-2011, 09:05 PM. Reason: Spelling, as usual
                  sigpic

Comment

I like the exercise mat in the passenger area.

and vacuum up dem dang pool ball shavings!!

It is looking waaay better though. Keep it up!

Also, painting your roof white will reflect the maximum amount of incident radiaton, that is, maximum short of chrome plating your roof.

Comment

I'm trying different variants of silver for the roof as well as aome clear coats for the aluminum panel. If it ever warms up here I'll try a sun exposure surface temp comparison to satisfy my engineerish leanings.
                      sigpic

Comment

Also, if you coat the inside of your roof with a heat insulating rubberizer, it will prevent the roof from radiating heat into the car.

Comment

Fantastic project you're working on here - best of luck - will keep an eye out to follow your adventures

Comment

awesome build

7speedshop.com

Comment

That project looks like a lot of fun! I would love to do that to my car! Good Luck man!

Comment

I got a wire welder and I'm in NM

Comment

Working...
                                X