Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malik's 87 325is build (DAILY DRIFT E30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malik's 87 325is build (DAILY DRIFT E30)

Bought 4/8/2011
    traded the 98 vr6 jetta!
    details to come soon......
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM.
    m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
    build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

First Sighting

So i used to own a 98 vr6 Jetta. Got sick/bored with front wheel drive so i posted an add on craigslist for a trade. Got LOTS of ppl wanting to trade 240's and almost did it until this came along

This is the first car I will be building on my own so hopefully i do pretty well learning how to go sideways and keep a RELIABLE DD. I am not a mechanic but have been into motorsports all my life. I am hoping with all the reading of magazines ive done and seeing proper cars I may be able to build my own. Since im not a mechanic at heart you might say, well why buy such an old car and go through the hastle. I LOOOOOVE to drive. weather its 8in of snow (im from buffalo), sleet, rain or sunny, i just enjoy it. I enjoy the feedback a car gives a driver. It can grow to be a deeper connection between car and owner after enough seat time.

Saying that, i feel REAL sports cars, and by sports i mean hard driving, need to be rwd. The input and balance is too good to be true on this platform. This is also my first rwd car so i will be respecting her to start, then abusing her.lol

The last thing i need is to wrap it around a tree in my back roads. it rained today and a 240 punk got sucked into the ditch.haha I know heel & toe and can do them braking VERY hard into corners with my VW but the first one i did in the dry with this car felt soo much more jerky! ive got a lot of practicing to do.
    I went to show a friend the car and tried some typical rwd tricks...burnout, donuts, ebrake anything....couldnt do it. e brake didnt work actually! it only engages with one wheel

maybe ill never dynamic drift.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0322.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	7135056
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-06-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

A little Cleaner and in my driveway

[ATTACH]45686[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45688[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45689[/ATTACH]
      the stock pedals were slippery and FUGLY..gone
      [ATTACH]45690[/ATTACH]
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-06-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

what kind of tails are those, me likey.

Originally posted by ApexGoblin
        well make sure your priorities are straight... e30 first :up:

Comment

I bought this april 8th and my first concern was tune-up & suspension, along with some minor cosmetic changes. The steering wheel I HATED. WAAAY TOOOO BIG. Pedals could use some changes along with the shifter and ebrake lever.

Also i kept smelling fuel every time i started my car. one of the injectors had a small leak so i seafoamed and replaced some fuel parts and other little things. spark plugs, gasket

Im trying to get rid of the passenger seat but since u cant see it with the driver in it it can wait. I would like something more snug though!

Name:	big wheel.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	7135062

Name:	starter and filter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	7135063

Name:	old & new bosch pressure.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	7135064

Name:	spark plugs & gasket.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	7135065

Name:	pedals.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	7135066

***********Let me say a little more about myself, the car and my cituation...I havnt looked up any info on bmw's until i got the car. there i said it
          I grew up into the skylines, rx7's, 240's, silvias, s2000, Evo's etc. Very JDM..minus the un-fly shit like mismatched parts and visible zipties everywhere. my dream car in hs was an ae86.lol So when this e30 came along i had no cue about m20's or any bmw motors for that matter. what i did know was the 3 series was born in my model and the 3 series meant business..my kinda business

Soo if you notice in this thread something looks wrong, or im skipping a step, or you say to yourself, wtf is he talking about.
          PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME!
          Ive been on a self taught beemer crash course since i bought the car but every weekly meet i go to i realize how little i still know.haha i enjoy learning so please share
          Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-06-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I have been slacking on this thread HAAARD but i hope to get caught up this week. I had a horn installed in the grey wheel, guess i just never took a pic. I now have a black momo wheel that looks very nice but here is the wheel and pedals installed. I think it looks very nice.
            EXCEPT for the cracked dash. such an eye sore. eventually ill be able to replace it.
            Another thing was the car had pink coolant in it so i swapped to the bmw. peace of mind goes a long way for me

Name:	DDM knobs.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	7135067

Name:	stock wheel w: upgrades.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	7135068

Name:	momo grey in car.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	7135069

Name:	coolant flush!.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	7135070

Comment

so like i stated earlier the cars shocks were blown..the car came with some HR sports so i bought some bilstein HD's and installed!!!
              This was my first time taking apart any suspension. It felt like i was doin some serious car buildin when the rear was in pieces.lol
              i cant find the pic of the front shocks but who cares.

Name:	H&R Sports.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	7135071
              found the pics just now actually...Click image for larger version

Name:	front shocks&springs.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	7135128

Name:	Rear Shocks.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	7135072

And here is the new ride height! still cant wait to get the GC coils tho. not low enough in the rear and the car rolls quite a bit still. its better than the stock look above though! slightly better in the rear much better up front.

Name:	NEW suspension ride height.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	7135073
              Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-06-2011, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xikyle View Post
                im not sure. they came with the car and im selling em today i believe

i got pulled over on the highway for em in maryland. so im selling em put the stock tails on.

I have noticed since i got this car (and my VW had 15% tints) without any tints, cops can see who is inside. I guess they dont like a black 22 year old with dreads in a car like this so i get pulled over quite often. I honestly am sick of it. fist time was in DC for not stopping at the 1st white line on the road at a stop sign.lol
                i dont want the extra attention so im selling em and getting tints ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by ROLLingKING View Post

i got pulled over on the highway for em in maryland. so im selling em put the stock tails on.

I have noticed since i got this car (and my VW had 15% tints) without any tints, cops can see who is inside. I guess they dont like a black 22 year old with dreads in a car like this so i get pulled over quite often. I honestly am sick of it. fist time was in DC for not stopping at the 1st white line on the road at a stop sign.lol
                  lol i love being white. sorry to hear about dickless pigs fucking with you because of racial insecurity.
                  on a lighter note. how much for the tails?

Originally posted by ApexGoblin
                  well make sure your priorities are straight... e30 first :up:

Comment

Originally posted by xikyle View Post
                    They're crappy eBay specials.

Comment

Originally posted by ROLLingKING View Post

It might have something to do with the dreads?:)
                      You know dreads >> rastafari >> weed

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                      2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

yea..which is why i dont let em catch me ridin dirty..ill sell the tails for 100. i dont know how much they cost but i dont want em. imma just paint the orange amber!

Comment

i got lots of comments on em from old ppl and ppl at the meets

Comment

More Suspension Upgrades

Since i want to learn drifting i need to tighten things up..reduce flex. make learning a little easier maybe. i picked up the suspension techniques sways and then a cross brace! (race skids)

got new sway links and all the bushings in the box. took out the rear spring and after about 20 min figured out how to wiggle it through. heres some comparison pics of the sizes.

its funny, i bought new rear sway links cause i didnt want to use the old busted ones, they were shot to poop. But then the kit came with its own sway links i had to build and those were a headache. i just returned the new ones. things like that i dont know since im new to this.lol

Name:	ST Sways.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	7135113
                            Rear sway

Name:	rear sway comparison.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	7135114

Name:	rear sway comparo 2.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	7135115
                            Front Sway...i was so happy when these got in. ive always wanted to feel what sway bars actually do for a cars performance. Never rode in a car with upgraded sways.

I could immediately feel the difference in my roads. The car didnt want to "drag" off the road as much and I was able to maintain a better line while accelerating through/out corners. More than worth the money!!

Name:	fr sway comparo.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	7135116

Putting on the rears for this car was a biiitch cause i had to remove a spring and wiggle it above the diff. But I also had to get these triangular brackets welded on the trailing arms so the thicker sway wouldnt rip off..front is 22mm rear is 19mm 2-way adjustable. According to VAC, i called em to see if i could test drive without the welds, they dont reccomend driving the car without some kind of rear sway chassis support. They said it will either bend or rip the piece off the trailing arm. I think I will also get the plates that weld to the frame for the front and rear sway. Especially the rear. http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-...e30swaymt.html Peace of mind goes a long way
                            finally got it in and left it un attached..till welded!

Name:	slide through spring.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	7135122

I was looking for someone to weld the bracket on without a cost and that took longer than expected. Driving with no rear sway feels soo stupid. I dont even know how ppl suggest i ALWAYS drift without one. when it was welded i had to again get used to the handling characteristics. First turn and I was like wait a minute. I had it set to the outside holes/oversteer. I could feel the back flexing through sweeping turns and it was bad in left to rights..i changed it to the oversteer setting and its much tighter. Ill get used to snap back
                            Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-13-2011, 11:14 AM.

Comment

welding rear sway

heres how one of the sway brackets were after I started taking it apart..woops!

Name:	bent front sway.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	7135117

okay so the first person that welded these was in a bad position and the weld didnt turn out looking as good..i was so excited so i bolted it up and a week or 2 later was like oh yea let me spray this to protect it from rust
                              heres what and where things got put...

Name:	rear sway weld area.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	7135119

Name:	welding tabs.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	7135118

before... Click image for larger version

Name:	rusty welds.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	7135120
                              after...

Name:	after sanded.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	7135121
                              now my sways wont rip off the RTA's!
                              I still need to buy more tabs to support the front and rear sway in other spots to the frame.
                              Last edited by ROLLingKING; 08-26-2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X