Andrew's 1989 325i Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew's 1989 325i Project

I bought the car Wednesday. I got my whole family (Mom, Dad and Brother) to pile in to our Subaru Forester for a hour ferry ride and a 45 minute drive in traffic. We pull up to their house in West Seattle and Steve, the owner, comes out and greets us. He was a nice man.

Luckily the heavy rain had stopped, and I begin to look the car over; you know check for wet carpet, check trunk for leakage, look at tires, and pop the hood. I have Steve start it up and I listen. It started kind of hard, it cranked a few too many times (still does this).

The m20 is really ticking, and I can't tell if it is average or not. I figure it is louder than normal though. I grab the throttle on the intake manifold and rev it a bit. It stumbles when you first get on and bogs down, hmm, but after that it is fine. I have Steve cut it, and I run back to the Subie to grab a rag to check the oil. I pull the dipstick and it is really dirty, though it smells fine and I see no coolant or anything. Everything good so far, so I ask for a drive. Steve cracks a joke about how he is scared riding with his daughter so he lets my Dad and I take it out. It was the second time I had ever driven in an E30.

The broken driver's seat, with it permanently reclined to 2 o'clock, isn't as bad as I thought. The interior, for having 196,450 miles is SPOTLESS. The car feels weird, to my Dad and I atleast, over bumps but then i realize it is a driver's car. My Dad tells me to "Punch it!", and I pull up to redline on the main drag, but let off before the shift. Test drive goes good.

Come back and we go inside, and I try to talk old Steve down to $1050, but he won't budge. No big deal, it is a steal already. My Dad signs title because I am 16 and we drive the 80 miles home. Runs like a champ, but the 4.10 differential meant high revs on the highway. By now it was raining real hard, and the wipers were total shit, so wipers went on high speed for the whole way home. Also the howl coming from the driver's door near the tweeter pod area got annoying. Yet this can all be fixed :)

So recap:
    - I buy an automatic 1989 325i with 196,500 miles for $1200 cash from a man named Steve
    - It is awesome mechanically, and Steve gives me a recent receipt for $1200 in maintenance.
    - The car has a very clean/dry interior and trunk, but a few problems. Though the odometer works!
    - The driver's seat is broken and both seats are missing side panels, the trim that goes above door is missing on both sides, the paint isn't the best, the bumpers have a couple cracks on 2/4 corners, and the wipers are shot. And the gas gauge is having a party.

I am ECSTATIC :D
    Last edited by 5Toes; 04-30-2011, 02:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Fast forward to Thursday, where I went through the folder of maintenance records I found in the glovebox. I believe, based off these, I am the sixth owner.

The car was purchased at Roth BMW in Portland, and first registered on February 28th, 1990 by a man named "R. B. Czyzewski". I have the original owner's manual and service booklet indicating oil changes by R. B. until 44500 miles in 1993.

Next owner lived in Beaverton, and his name was "George H. Dick".

Then the car I believe came to Gig Harbor

Then to West Seattle where I bought it, to Steve's neighbor, "Kelsi Kemper"

Then to Steve, for his daughter.

Then to me, the best owner of them all!

It is awesome to have records from when it was first purchased!

Comment

Now to today.

Today I got my hands dirty for the first time, I checked the air filter. The engine bay is SUPER greasy, and my hands were black. Got the maf and airbox off, which I discovered is missing one clip. I check the filter and it is alright, not black or anything, and put it back in. I lube the nuts and put it back together, but drop my wrench in the process of tightening things down. Damn it! So I have to pull it back apart to get the wrench and the nut that I dropped with it. It was a good experience...

Also I did a stomp test: it returned code 1444. Yay! No errors :D

So plans for car:

Order timing belt, tensioner, and water pump
      Order air and oil filters
      Order fuel filter
      Order cam seals, and "half moons"
      Order Valve Cover gasket

Steve had all new accessory belts, alternator, struts and springs, and a few other things put on, and the battery is fine. Timing belt needs done though, it was done at 155,000 according to a sticker.

Comment

A cell phone picture. That is a pan under the car to check for leaks. It had only like 3 drops of oil leak the first night, after 80 mile drive home.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 5Toes; 04-29-2011, 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

congrats man! I know you've wanted it for a long time!
          http://l0st0n3.mybrute.com
          http://l0st-0n3.mybrute.com
          Work in progress: 1991 318i m50 swap

Feedback thread :up:

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
          I prefer having a female in the car at all times. They generally smell good, but you do have to put up with that hole in their face.

Comment

loooooooks....... stock. haha. need more low. and get rid of those bottle caps. :P but all in all. good find. gettin your first e30 is a day you'll never forget.
            1989 Delphin 325i M20B25

Comment

Thanks guys!

So tonight we went to the local DOL office to get the title transfer and taxes paid. A zinno late model rolled past and I got my first thumbs up! I returned it and looked to my Dad, saying, "Its a subculture". Hahahaha

Total fees due to government, $134.30, and tabs are due in June, which will be $48. Thats whats up :)

Stopped by O'Reilly's on the way home and picked up some oil and Rain-X, gifts from my Dad. He would of bought me more but I didn't want to be greedy.

I picked up 2 gallons of Shell Rotella T for $30 and a 23oz bottle of Rain-X for $5.29, or something like that.

Im ordering my parts from Blunt tonight.

Comment

Congratulations man.
                I know the feeling, it's amazing.
                Great color, great model.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Let the disease begin.

Congrats

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Congrats Andrew!

Your thread gives me deja vu. You are starting out with almost exactly what I did. , Late model Schwarz 325i automatic 190k, great interior etc like you described, cracks in the bumpers, hesitation, and my first maintenance item was the timing belt.

Comment

Hey, finally!!! Yeay!!!
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                      ---------------------------------
                      89 E30 S52
                      ---------------------------------
                      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Yeah dude, honestly, I had no idea that when I saw your username on the topic, that it was going to be about your car.
                        When the weather gets better, give it a really thorough detail, and it will look amazing.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

2,375 posts later and you finally got an e30 congrats man!

BUILD-http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=242728

Comment

Named the car... "Schwarze", or "Black Girl in German! Cool?

Yeah the wiper stalk too is cracked off and some other things, but it can all be fixed.

Thanks again guys, proper photoshoot soon, no sunny days yet :(

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
                            Congrats Andrew!

Your thread gives me deja vu. You are starting out with almost exactly what I did. , Late model Schwarz 325i automatic 190k, great interior etc like you described, cracks in the bumpers, hesitation, and my first maintenance item was the timing belt.
                            Weird Brian. Why you in Utah?
                            Last edited by 5Toes; 04-29-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

That's my home, homie! Only in Milwaukee for school. I'm not quite back in UT yet, still have a couple months to go (gotta sell my house) but I am doing everything I can to get out of here, and if that means changing my location on an internet forum then i'll do it!

oh and nice name hahah , luckily the German population is pretty homogeneous, otherwise you might have to worry about the German version of Al Sharpton showing up at your house

Comment

Working...
                              X