No announcement yet.

3SGE BEAMS converted 89 E30///Stock as a rock 88 E30 325i Touring///

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will hopefully have a picture of 3 touring's in one spot soon :)

There are reportedly sub 50 Touring's (various models and spec, but mainly UK imports) in Australia and "maybe" 10 in Melbourne if that...

I keep coming back to two things after driving it lately.

1) keep it totally stock auto and all. It is a time capsule and does what it is supposed to do. And does it well.

2) After driving a lot of E90 330I, E87 130I and E60/E61 530I lately be different and swap in a N52B30. I have only seen a N54 powered E30, but no N52's.

Anyway more pictures of the "fleet"

Comment

Originally posted by kameleon View Post
      2) After driving a lot of E90 330I, E87 130I and E60/E61 530I lately be different and swap in a N52B30. I have only seen a N54 powered E30, but no N52's.
      N52B30 is buttery smooth and soo much tq down low. I had an E90 328i it wasn't fast but it was pretty fun revving it out and oh it loved to rev all the way to redline. Ever since I've wanted to swap in a n52 in my e30 but getting all the electronics to work on the stock ecu scares everyone away. The n52 is a feather weight compared to the m20. It's even lighter than the aluminum m52 and thats already like 40lbs lighter than a m20.

Comment

With regards to getting a late model "anything" to run in an E30 it only comes down to what signals you need to emulate to the DME to run.

You can remove a lot off a BMW engine in terms of signals to have it run (and without limp home modes etc)

The N52 would be quite easy (easy in my opinion) engine sump will require a major rethink/re-engineer, but it is all down to time.

N54/N55 would be great and has been done, however this was in a LHD vehicle, not RHD.

Both would require a turbo conversion (not worth it to not use the stock setup) so would not have that sweet responsiveness and look ugly and non OEM in the engine bay.

Hence n/a N series engine may be the go instead. ultimately a perfect candidate for a cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by kameleon View Post
          With regards to getting a late model "anything" to run in an E30 it only comes down to what signals you need to emulate to the DME to run.

You can remove a lot off a BMW engine in terms of signals to have it run (and without limp home modes etc)

The N52 would be quite easy (easy in my opinion) engine sump will require a major rethink/re-engineer, but it is all down to time.

N54/N55 would be great and has been done, however this was in a LHD vehicle, not RHD.

Both would require a turbo conversion (not worth it to not use the stock setup) so would not have that sweet responsiveness and look ugly and non OEM in the engine bay.

Hence n/a N series engine may be the go instead. ultimately a perfect candidate for a cruiser.
          I'm here thinking getting around the canbus system would be a serious PITA, I've seen 2-3 n54 swaps but no real write ups. Seriously if you do a n52 swap that would be amazing and make a legit write up! Cause there's more than just me that wants a n52 swap.
          Also for the oil pan I came across a thread on here that showed all the different oil pans that came with the n52 across all the different chassis and I think it was the x3 that had one that you didn't have to modify to much or just drops in.

Comment

It depends, Although the Bus system is there you can easily remove these signals (effectively making the engine run as if it were a power train unit on a dyno)

I personally think a custom sump and pickup would be a better option than using one of the other sumps as you would not have to compromise the engine placement in the chassis.

Either way there is more than one way to skin a cat.

In other news i have had both vehicles inspected for club registration and they passed with flying colours. Will pick up the plates christmas eve.

Comment

Merry christmas!

I got two sets of club reg for my christmas presents :)

Drove "Betty white" here there and everywhere over Christmas/boxing day without skipping a beat. Lots of people taking pictures and pointing at us as we drove around.

Found a cheap Dickies boot mat from Costco too.

Comment

Comment

Presents from Japan

Comment

Looks like a gearbox
                    - Chris
                    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Yes finally

Comment

Can't beleive I've never seen this thread !! Kick ass engine choice, must be a blast on the track. We are currently putting one of these in on of my friend's ae86.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=319393

Comment

Yes great drivelines, they work well in the 86's as well being even lighter than an E30.

Comment

Took the Touring for a cruise to a friends tonight

Also have lots of work on the go for Dirk atm which i will outline as i go.

Diff gears for the medium case arrived recently.

Comment

Lsd and diff rebuild parts arrived.

Also attended a E30 meetup in the Touring which was pretty huge. Especially considering it was on a tuesday night. To get 2 tourings and 2 M3's in one spot itself is pretty amazing (both never came to Australia originally) along with a turbocharged M42, turbocharged M20, a M50 swap etc.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X