• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i saw that bat with the hood up all saturday

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      time to update the thread title!...

I didnt see this green/ white CSL wouldve been nice compared to all the black & white ones wearing ///m colors
      It's coming along! But I don't want to spoil anything until I have something to show for it.

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
      i saw that bat with the hood up all saturday
      The car was "finished" just prior to the event, so not a ton of time to sort things out. It was an issue with the brake master not being up to handle the vintage AP/Lockheed brake calipers.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
        It's coming along! But I don't want to spoil anything until I have something to show for it.
        haha love the "???" If you can, I would say to leave that a mystery until the car is done and revealed. PLEASE have it done for SoCal Vintage! please
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Jeez, time flies.

Have a couple things to report.

My last personal project at IE was designing an accelerator pedal for the 2002. I have never been a fan of the stock pedal and wanted something a bit more robust.

Design inspiration came from the original pedal Alpina outfitted to a number of their 2002 and E9 race cars. Fortunately, a friend had one and he was kind enough to send me its dimensions.

The new design incorporated compact roller bearings and a same-as-factory pivot point and pedal height. Additionally, there was a matching reinforcement plate that would go under the car and sandwich the floor pan sheet metal.

Unfortunately these features didn’t make production, however the retail price dropped to about half of what I projected.

Here is the link to the final piece.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

thats it!?! I need more!
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

OK,

I really should update this a bit. Sorry for not doing it sooner. Development of new parts takes a ton of time!

I’ve started my own little thing under ADAMS Autosport

The biggest update is the engine has now reverted back to the original triple weber idea. I started talking to Rama at RHD about designing/developing a PROPER carb-specific manifold for the M20. Fortunately Jeff (Ireland Engineering) agreed to fund the project.

Outlay: First thing was to come up with some critical design considerations.

1) Fit with the stock 2002 or Tii brake booster
              2) Intake charge path should be a nice smooth curve with an angle that matches the intake port angle of the 885 head. (so a nice continuous path to the valve)
              3) Integrate heim-joint bosses for linkage potential
              4) Blank bosses on the bottom for those wanting a place to drill-tap for a balance-box or nitrous feed.
              5) Separate castings for the center and side sections.

The first printed prototype went on nicely, but the curved mounting face angle meant the carb crashed into the booster heavily.

After consulting with Jeff, Gron Perry (the man knows webers, he’s flown around the world to tune/jet them), Erik at Redline (US Weber importer), and a couple others, they all agreed that the DCOE’s would be fine at a 10degree angle on both a street and race setup.

Rama tweaked the manifold to suite and started the casting process.

These are the first set out of the mold. They will clear the stock booster with the shorter std. stacks. Ideally a Tii booster would be used.

I’m sorting out the linkage right now. Trying to get a good modulation for street-friendly throttle response. Should have it figured out this weekend…
              (mad photoshop skillzz)

I’ve got to get the engine back out though! The shell is scheduled to get blasted in two weeks!
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

If you want an OEM 323i distributor setup I have one for you. Free.99 for you
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Excited to see this. I have been shopping for a trio to fit my "this is my 4th car down the line project" budget. lol. Already have the Rowland manifolds, distributor etc, but Rama makes good stuff. Guess I can dump the Rowlands but continue shopping. Almost bought a trio set at $700, but after a good look over, they needed too much work/parts.

ITB's are cool, but carbs have a slightly more unique sound, and are definitley more fitting in an '02!
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    If you want an OEM 323i distributor setup I have one for you. Free.99 for you

Yes! I would love one to mock it up and ensure clearance.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Excited to see this. I have been shopping for a trio to fit my "this is my 4th car down the line project" budget. lol. Already have the Rowland manifolds, distributor etc, but Rama makes good stuff. Guess I can dump the Rowlands but continue shopping. Almost bought a trio set at $700, but after a good look over, they needed too much work/parts.

ITB's are cool, but carbs have a slightly more unique sound, and are definitley more fitting in an '02!

I will keep an ear out for you. FYI, you can get them via your worldpac account . Will still be a bit more spendy though. Can't wait to hear more about your "4th car down the line", haha.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                      I will keep an ear out for you. FYI, you can get them via your worldpac account . Will still be a bit more spendy though. Can't wait to hear more about your "4th car down the line", haha.
                      4th personal car, not customer. :( My spec e30 had been apart since last April, been borrowing/renting cars...

Thanks for the heads up on the carbs! Just took a peek and didn't realize they carried them. With my price tier, they are actually not much more new than beat used ones I was finding, and they have 77 units in stock!
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Oh, and I need to send you an email.
                        Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
                        Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
                        Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
                        Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Comment

Continuing to develop the DCOE system, namely the linkage.

The “Easy Way Out” would be to hook a cable directly to the lever arm on the carb. The problem with this is streetability. Such a small radius would mean that a very small amount of pedal travel would have a very big effect on throttle angle. Basically, the engine would behave like an on-off switch. Fine for a race car, not so much on a street car. I drove an M10 running dual carbs setup this way once, and grew sick of it after five minutes on the street.

So as I briefly showed in the last post, I began to mock-up a top-mount linkage that incorporated a lever arm, 3/8” rod, and a cable-receiver arm.

Then another problem arose, the lever arm crashes into the balancer screw at about ¾ throttle! Going to see if I can switch to mounting the rod to the lever arm on the opposite side (and machine the node jutting off the carb body). If that doesn’t work, I will make a longer lever arm.

At that point, I pulled the engine back out for the last time prior to paint. With the help of my youngest (and his toy train) we pulled out the last remaining bits from the engine bay.

Now I tackled the interior sound proofing via the dry-ice method. Didn’t go over great as the kids wanted to play inside! The rest will come out in round two. The great news is that there was no serious rust/rot on the floor panels!

Next up I’ll be taking out the headliner, removing the suspension, and get the shell up on some dollies (courtesy of Eric).
                          Last edited by SkiFree; 05-11-2017, 04:32 PM.
                          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Andrew, I just sent you text. I have a package with your name on it
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Had a good weekend. The front and rear subframes are out and the chassis is up in the air!

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

awesome!!!

have you shared what color its going to be?

-
                                Project
                                Parts for Sale
                                Feedback
                                YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X