Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Polly, the m30b35 swapped Ratrod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyE30
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R View Post
    I think the best plan is to go s54
    ^ this.

Awesome work by the way. In terms of reliability, balance, and hp/$, IMO the S54 in an E30 is amongst the highest in the echelon.

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by 2man View Post
    I tihnk you need to take a step back now and take some time to think about what your goal is. You mention that you want to "SCCA" so Im guessing autox, but then you also mention that you dont care about weight... Im a little confused.
    The reason I am not too worried about it is, the suspension setup does not really allow you to notice it. I know the m30 is not too much more weight over the m20. I did notice the difference when riding in Frank's m62 and s62.
    I think the best plan is to go s54, I thought about it all day, I can get some good examples for around 5k. I still have a ton of things to do this summer, where another engine swap would cut into the list.

If it sells, it sells if not I will have the cash to swap over next winter season. I do not regret swapping the m30 in, I would do it all over again too. Currently I am focusing on: Body, cage and pulling the engine to clean up the bay more. Plenty to do before Gfest! That is my goal date to unveil Polly ;D

Leave a comment:

• Jb325is
    replied
    Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
    Have you considered running a more built m30, with ITBs or something along the lines of more N/a power instead of an s38? Im sure you could get an m30 close to a s38 power for less cash.
    Nope. I used to think this but you can't. It's do-able but it will cost you a lot of money.

$5k on an m30 will get you about 230whp

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    ^^^ not a bad idea at all! you wont make the same horsepoewr, but you will have a better torque curve and you already built the engine so its a lot less money

Leave a comment:

• TheTacoMan
    replied
    Have you considered running a more built m30, with ITBs or something along the lines of more N/a power instead of an s38? Im sure you could get an m30 close to a s38 power for less cash.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Both are great swaps in their own right, and I do not care too much about weight etc. I love driving and more horsepower would be nice.

Anyone else have ideas of a swap? my budget is around 5k for the engine. I have not kept up with the s54 cost. I am sure it is declining like the e46 M3 has too.

I tihnk you need to take a step back now and take some time to think about what your goal is. You mention that you want to "SCCA" so Im guessing autox, but then you also mention that you dont care about weight... Im a little confused.

The reason Miatas are such great cars is because they have great balance, not a ton of weight over the front wheels.

I was in a similar position as you and with a similar budget. I chose an aluminum block M52 with S52 cams. Main reason I chose the M52 over the M54 is because I have CA smog BS to deal with. Honestly, the M54 is a torque monster, an aluminum block engine and can be had for great prices. If you plan on taking turns fast, Id scratch the S38 idea. It will kill your budget and you will end up with a car that handles worse than your car does now. Id look into a M54 setup, hardest part is wiring and even that isnt too tricky nowadays.

Love the car, keep it up

Leave a comment:

• acolella76
    replied
    Lowering the subframe will lower your roll center... which is a no-no on lowered E30s. Also adds bump steer, reduces camber curve, etc. so if you are looking to seriously autocross or track your car I wouldn't swap an engine that requires a lowered subframe.

I'd just save up for the S54 while driving the M30... and if someone pulls the trigger on your M30 then great! I'd love to take it off your hands but I'm already balls deep in an S52

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    m62 does weigh more than the m30 or s38 engines, plus you have to lower the subframe. That cannot work for my car, I know you can raise it? from what I have gathered with Frank's swaps, lowering is the best route. I know others have done something else(raise?), but I trust his judgement/call.

For now I will see if anyone wants a fresh m30b35 in their car. If not...I will wait it out for the s54. Spring is coming and I want to build my BMW cafe. Listing the m30 was a last minute idea, I LOVE the engine. It is a lot of fun to drive and gets pretty good MPG, I am not in a rush to remove such a great running engine. If it happens to sell, sure I'll start a new swap. Till then I guess I am testing the waters.

I drove the s54 for around 3 months, my best friend used to own an '05. Had the 6spd and I installed a full exhaust system on it. I have also drove the s38, I fell the s54 pulls smoother from the bottom to the top, where the s38 seems to build from the mid to the top. The s54 was also amazing for DD use, it was great in traffic and ripped that fat e46 around like nothing. Granted I JUST got an m30b35 in my car last year, before that I have only DD the b27. So my experience with the s54 daily use was amazing.

Leave a comment:

• TheTacoMan
    replied
    I like the idea of the s54, but from what Ive read you have to wind it out to really get the most out of it. I dont speak from experience though, have you considered an s62? If I wanted a fast auto cross e30 Id want an engine with alot of low end torque, around here the corvettes are wicked fast on most auto x events. I know you dont want boost, but for the price of a s38 I bet you could build a decent m62 running 4-5psi on a supercharger setup that would be great. Of course that would be alot of tinkering.

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    You make some logical points, I have thought about them before. The m62 does sit low when spaced down, currently the m30 is amazing for daily use. If it does not go anytime soon, I am not worried. Gives me more time to figure out my logical path. I know I want around 300whp, I have driven both the s38 and s54. The S54 is a whole new animal, it is a beast from the bottom end to the top range.

I think the s38 is purely for the challenge, it is a very expensive engine to get/rebuild.

Your sig notes that you SCCA, so you can understand my reasoning about not boosting. Currently my class is STI and full out Miatas, people can laugh all they want at them. Properly setup, they are so quick...even more so with an auto. Honestly, I am tired of swapping and just want to get the right engine for my use. I'll look more into S54.

Anyone else have ideas of a swap? my budget is around 5k for the engine. I have not kept up with the s54 cost. I am sure it is declining like the e46 M3 has too.

Leave a comment:

• Jb325is
    replied
    I hear ya, I went through the same thing. FI is not for me, when I was deciding on my swap I knew I wanted something that was NA and I wanted it to rev. I loved my m30, but they just run out of steam around by 6k and I want something that keeps pulling. I have an e34 m5 DD and the motor is fantastic, nothing like the m30 really. I don't know if you've driven one or not but they have absolutely zero power down low (or even in the mid-range), but they pull so hard above 5000 and the sound is amazing. I think it would be a great motor for the e30, except it just doesn't fit. I refuse to space the subframe, especially on a track-oriented build. It just doesn't make any sense. I think the m62 is pretty much the same, but with even less booster clearance. S54's can make well over 300 whp with a flash and some headers, they're light-ish and they rev to 8k. A 300whp NA s38 is going to cost you some $$$$.

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    I understand, I really want something that makes more power NA. I did give an s54 a thought, right now I have a line on a complete e34 M5 with low miles. I also lean towards period correct swaps, I am not against the s54, I just would rather have the s38.

Right now the list reads: S38 or an m62(I can get that for under 500 complete) or the s54. I really want to be done swapping this time around, I am not going turbo for three reasons:

1. I have seen boosted cars in SCCA, they just never put down good times. Spool hits and it does not lay down good times in tight bends vs a real track making use of boost

2. Cost, I priced out to go FI and it was going to run over the price of buying the s38 alone. Tuning, turbo, intercooler, manifold and charge piping, injectors etc it all adds up really fast when I select the pieces I would buy for it.
    *I KNOW you can boost cheap, but I do not plan on doing things half assed*

3. NA is better for daily use over boost, I know there is many with reliable setups. Here in NY the closest place is over 6 hours away(Experience in tuning BMW engines)

I would rather have NA, more predictable and I feel it is the next step after riding in FrankM e30's s62 monster.
    If the m30 does not sell anytime soon, I am going to put in the m62 with a 5spd. I really do not know what the future holds, I do have a nice savings for my BMW cafe build...I have too much going on as it is. So that is my ultimatum; listed the m30 and if that sells I will go Mpower, if not I will put in an m62. Both are great swaps in their own right, and I do not care too much about weight etc. I love driving and more horsepower would be nice. M30 is no slouch though, it gets up and rips.
    Last edited by F34R; 02-05-2014, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jb325is
    replied
    s38, that is the plan anyways. I am not worried if it does not sell, long term I want the s38 under the hood.
    I sold my m30 with thoughts of doing the same thing, but the s38 just doesn't make sense. Too big, too heavy, too expensive, and it makes way less horsepowers than a s54. Not hating on your plans, because I love the s38 too.. Just saying you should look into it

Leave a comment:

• Swanny
    replied
    Oh no big deal, just got a rebuilt m30 just sittin in the corner. What evs

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
    I see your selling your m30. What is the next power plant?:pimp:
    s38, that is the plan anyways. I am not worried if it does not sell, long term I want the s38 under the hood.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X