Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So haven't updated much since I haven't had much to update with some other projects ongoing.

First off, our next event moves to a new venue: the Rally Farm in northern Virginia, which we tested last fall as you may recall. Should be fun to run on grass instead of gravel for once. More on that in a few weeks :)

In the meantime, I was tired of my dented/warped sunroof panel and the knob-style roof vent. So I decided to rip it off, sand and repaint the roof, and redo it all.

Unfortunately on the weekend I couldn't find the correct gauge of steel in the size I needed so decided to save some cash and improvise. Had an old mashed-up e30 hood out back so got out the sawzall and cut it up. So forgot to take many in-progress pics, but here's the finished product:

The hood piece has the same ridged profile which I guess looks pretty nifty, but even better it stiffens it up nicely without the need for any bracing, so it won't flex when opening/closing the vent. For the vent I ordered a new aluminum handle-style vent to replace the knob-style steel vent. So dropped a pound of weight and its much easier to operate.

Also this time used hex-head stainless bolts since those POS allen-head ones stripped like crazy when tightened. This will make it much easier to remove if I ever need to for some reason. Not quite as pretty as the button-head hex bolts, but this car doesn't need to be all that pretty..

So, that's that, here's some pics. More updates when I do something worthwhile..

Also helped out Nick with more work on his M3 rallycross e36, but you can catch up with all that in his thread on GRM if you want to...
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

WDCR RallyCross #2 at the Rally Farm

So, I've done a few little things on the car but nothing I really feel like writing about because they're not very interesting. So on to the second rallycross event. This was the inaugeral event at the new "Rally Farm" owned by fellow rallyists Lance and Robin W., who bought it specifically to be able to do rallycross/rallysprint/test and tune there for rally. Even better, its less than an hour from my place via fun woodland and country roads.

So with this venue in much closer proximity to the DC metro area than our usual spot in boonies of Frostburg MD, turnout was high. Close to 60 cars, in fact. The RWD classes were well-represented as well, with 9 or 10 in PR and 13 in MR (plus a single BR-Z in stock).

Since this was the first event ever here, it was fresh fields to break in. As points leader that's a bit of a disadvantage running on the grass before it wore away to dirt for later cars in the run group (reminds me of Great Lakes in 2014). And as expected, me and Corey McKenzie (in his Volvo) started off slowly and the rest of the cars in the class got a jump on us on the first run as grip increased significantly throughout the day. I'll also mention that my rally codriver Jim Spoth came to drive with me as well, his first rallycross in a few years and first time in my car.

Morning was delayed by a timing computer issue so we did a few fun-runs beore getting in three runs each before lunch on a long/fast course that was pretty open. As expected, the power cars had an edge and I found myself in 4th, but only 2 seconds out of first (thanks to my one cone and the three other guys being clean). At lunchbreak the standings were Eric Helgesen in the beat-up ETA up top with Corey, with a S50-swapped 318ti rally car just ahead of me and Eisele in the M20 car right behind me. Jim was busy learning my car. Meanwhile, Nick still didn't have the M3 ready and co-drove Jason's Miata with him, with them mid-pack all day.

The S50 Ti

In other issues, the ETA boys managed to set the field on fire under their car in grid thanks to some tall dry grass and something hot on the car, lol.

And Josh Sennet in the Volvo wagon, blew something up on his first run and put out a massive smokescreen for everyone.

After lunch, the course was changed drastically, becoming very long, with a super-fast backside sweeper turn combo but otherwise super-technical. When I saw it I knew I could work a comeback of sorts since it woudln't favor the power cars much.

We did something like 8 runs each after lunch and it was a battle with a half dozen MR cars neck and neck. In the end I managed to pull away and take the win by about 7 seconds running fairly clean and finding good lines. The technical setup definitely favored lighter/better balanced cars so that was good for me.

Final standings are here for anyone who cares:

Also did some ridealongs in other peoples cars (some to give advice, some to see Shawn's mastery in the PR Miata), which I rarely get a chance to do at events.

All in all a great event, car ran perfectly and the venue is excellent. I think we're going to be splitting events between here and Frostburg going forward, so pretty happy about that. Even better, this venue results in zero tire wear (as opposed to frostburg, which tears up even rally tires)

So, 2-for-2 on season wins so far.

Katie's shift knob smoking....wtf?

Katie and Shawn's rental car had a bit of an issue on its last run

In other news, me and Jim helped Pat Henry swap a motor in his vert a couple weeks before...

And I helped Nick out on the M3 trying in vain to get it ready for this rallycross.

(pics later)
      Last edited by irish44j; 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM.
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

That S50 ti.....
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post

Katie and Shawn's rental car had a bit of an issue on its last run

I can say I've never seen that happen before... wow, just wow!

Comment

2 for 2, I bet you're stoked with that!
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Always good to start the season strong. Better than playing catch-up :)
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

coilovers

Hey, been creeping on your forum for a while great work. Question about your front coilovers, did you weld the threaded part to the strut?

Comment

Originally posted by milolang View Post
                  Hey, been creeping on your forum for a while great work. Question about your front coilovers, did you weld the threaded part to the strut?
                  Nope, just free-sitting. The threaded part is aluminum so couldn't weld them anyhow with my gear. They sit on the factory perch (most of which has been cut away except the inner 1/2" or so.
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

SAWEET, was thinking of doing the same, seems fairly cheap. Thanks

Comment

So let's do some updating. Well, nothing much to update on the car actually. But I did get the new hood logo from Carlos at Condor Speed Shop today, which turned out awesome (IMO)

Spent the last few days working on the trailer: All five of the original wheels paint was flaking off for some reason (I'm guessing road salt from last year, who knows). In any case, stripped them all down and repainted them (black this time, because Pitchblack). Also cut off the spare tire mount at the front of the trailer and moved it to the back, since any reduction I can get in tongue weight is a good thing, especially considering what else I did....

stripped(ish)

painted and relocated spare

So these mods aren't much for the rally car, but for the road racing car. Built two side racks that each hold two of our big fuel jugs for enduro races. Also built a "hutch" that will cover the toolchest we are going to start carrying on the trailer. I still have to enclose it and build the basket on top, but it will help to both protect the toolchest from the elements and also brace it so it doesn't fall over during tows.

framing

kinda done

also enclosed the front rail to keep rocks and road spray from the tow rig off the front of the car on the trailer. Cut up the skin of my old clothes dryer for the metal, lol

Finally, I (with my wife) and Nick (with his) went to the wedding of Josh Sennet (bluej on GRM forum) to his wife Emily. Josh has competed against us, co-driven with us, and is on our rally and enduro car crew as well and is overall a great guy, so happy for him there.

Me, Josh, Emily, and my wife.

Nick and me hanging with Abe.

Our table placecard was Josh's GRM Challenge e30 (the Challenge was one of the first things he and Emily did), which is now his rallycross car when it runs...

Their honeymood ride was pretty sweet too..
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Not much to report on the last few weeks. A lot of friends headed to hyperfest last weekend and it turned out to be a mud-bog that none of the RWD rally cars could even finish the course, so pretty happy we didn't go. STPR is next weekend, but since we're only running NASA for the time being, and that's a Rally America event, we're not going. I don't think the car is quite "tough" enough for that brutal terrain anyhow yet - maybe next year. But that lets Jim and the guys head up to Watkins Glen instead to run the road race e30 at the Chumpcar race.

So I'm doing home projects, helping out friends with their cars, and tinkering. Here's some stuff that is of marginal interest, lol.

First, finished up the trailer mods. a "hutch" for the toolchest, some side racks for our big gas cans (for enduro racing) and a shelf up top for whatever. Also replaced the wiring connector and a few other litle boring things.

Of course, stickarz..

Steven came and picked it up to tow the race e30 to the Glen

Went over to Nick's to help him finish up work on the M3 rallycrosser. Hopefully will see it out at the next event. Hopefully will beat it :)

With the driveway empty now that the trailer is gone, I did some musical cars and moved the GT6 up from the 2-year slumber in the back shed. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do on it, but I like looking at it at least, and its so tiny it doesn't take up much garage space

And headed down for the day to hang with my dad at the marina and check out his new boat. Yep, that's a 33-foot Captain's Gig off of a US Navy ship. Has a low-hours 300hp Cummins diesel to boot. Should be fun to go out and party on once he finishes refurbishing it.

So, back to the house, a few little car projects to improve the interior. I painted the rear inside roof white (just because it had never been painted at all). Managed to get white paint in my hair as well (not fun to get out, now I just look 50 instead of 40 lol).

I never liked using the goofy foam padding to locate the harnesses on the bar, so fabbed up some steel locating bars. Not reinventing the wheel here, but a nearly-free little project to improve little things

Also built a little rack to hold our safety triangles. Hard to see here but there's two L-shaped brackets welded to the cage center that hold them. The orange straps just keep them in place. Much more convenient than strapping them to the diagonal the way we had it before

And put up a little hook to hold the steering wheel. I've been tossing it up on the dash when I take it off, but I'm worried that if I toss it up there a bit too recklessly one time, the aluminum base will crack the windshield. So this is easier.

So, that's it for the moment. Wish I had more interesting stuff to report, but this weekend will be working on Josh S's rally Volvo and helping the ETA boys swap all their stuff from the ETA to their new 325i....I swear I work on other peoples' cars more than my own. Guess that's a good thing that means mine isn't always broken :)
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I always imagine myself grabbing an eyeball on those wheel/helmet hooks.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                            I always imagine myself grabbing an eyeball on those wheel/helmet hooks.
                            If you look closely, the open end is pointing toward the windshield for that very reason ;)
                            Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

You have a GT6????? They're so cool
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

A huge contratulations to our friends Michael Hooper and Claudia Pullen, who drove their e30 to a 4th place (day 1) and 1st place (day 2) finish for the OVERALL regional 2WD win at Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally (STPR) this weekend. This is a tough rally (the longest-running rally in the USA) and beating all the more modern FWD cars and other RWD cars is really impressive!

Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X