Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks man, will keep my eyes open for one.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

A bit of work today - installed the motor mounts. Keep in mind that these are the prototypes for the M10, based on measurements I took off of an old stock mount. Even then, the fit is very close, but Condor will be making a few small changes to them based on my suggestions. All of these things were little changes and adjustments I was able to do to them myself, so nothing too big.

The main one is to move the locating pin about 6mm. Easy enough to do at home, but they'll make the change before they make more of these for sale. Carlos called me today and we discussed a few other little tweaks that will make installation and fit a bit better.

looks like a big vanilla candle in there, lol

from underneath. Note on the passenger side I trimmed down the studs a bit since they were a tad longer than stock and I was having trouble getting the engine up high enough on that side for them to clear. No big deal, and again that will be changed on the next set they make.

Driving impression: Once I got everything installed correctly (PITA to get to the driver's side mount on an M10), the feel was as expected: a bit more rumble at ignition and idle, but smooths out once moving and just a bit more NVH than stock setup. In terms of throttle response, it is apparent, even with a wimpy M10. You can feel the "kick" a bit harder on shifts and the response is just better. As expected, like I said.

Also spent some time cleaning stuff up, more M42 components, etc.

And FedEx came by and delivered my $30 exhaust manifold from a Rev member. Which, I might add, was the best packing job I think I've ever seen. Wish I took of pic of it, ,lol. Header is in good shape and I'll clean it up. It does need 1 or maybe both studs replaced, but I already knew that and it's not an issue.

now, out to get some drinks :)
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Blunt can get them for about that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

You can't really visually inspect a crankshaft.

The inspection process is very precise (and clever).
          We used to use micrometers to measure the crank bearing surfaces for diameter and roundness. I think we measured the hole (with the bearing caps on) too. It was in H.S. auto shop... very long ago.

Then we used plastigages to check clearances. (very clever - probably came from some old timer's method using crayons or playdough or something like that).

It might be worth sending the motor to a machine shop to have it checked & setup correctly. It will give peace of mind later if you decide to ask more horsepower from the bottom end.

That "upper oil pan" has a name. I think on my MR2 it's called a "windage tray", but I could be wrong. IIRC, it reduces foaming in the oil when the crankshaft "whips it up". It may have another purpose too (like keeping the oil from all migrating to one side in a turn).

Ill look for links and edit them into this msg if I get time later.

Comment

ive got a set of injectors for you. pm me

edit: i also have a great set of sprockets too.

buy my sprockets injectors are free :up:

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

no real updates so far this week. Been spending a lot of time by the work sink and out in the garage scrubbing various engine parts (basically everything that bolts onto the block is getting a thorough cleaning and painting), as well as the block and head.

Also just ordered about a hundred bucks worth of gaskets and stuff....basically every gasket, o-ring, and seal for the engine and everything attached to it (other than HG). So hopefully this weekend can put most of the stuff back on and then think about tackling the timing components, etc.

Also pretty excited that some guys I used to autocross with (who I've been bugging to get an e30 rallycrosser to join the 3 of us already out here), just picked up an e28 superETA that they plan to do rallycross, lemons, and other crap with. The car is already gutted and caged so it will be in my class (MR). It'll be cool to have them out there since I used to autocross with Nick back in the Maxima days when we both ran our land-yachts in DSP/EP :) That said, not real worried, at least this season. :) I've been consistently getting faster and am generally beating the guys running the e30 ETA who are experienced, so it will be impressive if an e28 with similar power and way more weight is faster than that......but we'll see I guess, never know! :)
              Last edited by irish44j; 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM.
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I have a full set of m42 injectors as well as some mustang injectors(stuarts old ones). Also have a set of cam gears if you're interested.
                sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
                Build Thread:
                Current ongoing build. Check it out!
                1991 318is 4dr rallycross
                Rallycross Build Thread.
                1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

You may have mentioned this previously, but what trans mounts are you running with the M10?
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

only $100 worth of gaskets? psh, you aren't going all out. panzy.

Comment

oh, and painted the block in "Chrysler Red." Because I'm never going to use this old-ass can of paint for anything else, I'm betting....

Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
                        I have a full set of m42 injectors as well as some mustang injectors(stuarts old ones). Also have a set of cam gears if you're interested.
                        cool. Interested in both. PM'd DJ Buttchugg about his stuff, but yours might be cheaper :) How are your cam gears?

I'm just gonna call you PelicanPartsSpencer from now on, since I seem to get all my parts from you.

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                        You may have mentioned this previously, but what trans mounts are you running with the M10?
                        just the stock ones, since they're new as of last winter. When I put the M42 in I'll put the Condor mounts in probably.

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                        only $100 worth of gaskets? psh, you aren't going all out. panzy.
                        My budget is very limited until ski season starts up again (and I start again at my $25/hour night/weekend ski tech job that pays for car projects). So ordered the stuff I need right now, and will get the things I need later.......later.

Plus I already replaced most of the gaskets and seals on the M10 in the car at the present. I have all winter to do the M42, no rush here.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Wow Josh. Great thread. Just spent the last 6 hours or so reading through it. Can’t believe I hadn’t checked it out until now..

Really enjoyed every post and living vicariously through every step of the progress thus far.

What really gets me is that you get to enjoy the results to SUCH a high/pure/fun level via rallycross. That’s more awesome than I have words for. To think of the fun you’re having on such a budget is truly inspirational.. especially when guys like myself can spend up to three+ times that in “restorational” endeavors – and then end up with a result one hates to see get dirty.

Fuckin A mate. Well done.

Also, the GT6 is very cool. Looking forward to reading through that thread in the near future.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the photos, videos, and commentary of your project journey. Greatly appreciated and enjoyed.
                          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Projected price for the m10 mounts? Im interested need new mounts anyways

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Ive got an m42 im parting out so if you need any parts shoot me a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                                Wow Josh. Great thread. Just spent the last 6 hours or so reading through it. Can’t believe I hadn’t checked it out until now..

Really enjoyed every post and living vicariously through every step of the progress thus far.

What really gets me is that you get to enjoy the results to SUCH a high/pure/fun level via rallycross. That’s more awesome than I have words for. To think of the fun you’re having on such a budget is truly inspirational.. especially when guys like myself can spend up to three+ times that in “restorational” endeavors – and then end up with a result one hates to see get dirty.

Fuckin A mate. Well done.

Also, the GT6 is very cool. Looking forward to reading through that thread in the near future.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the photos, videos, and commentary of your project journey. Greatly appreciated and enjoyed.
                                Thanks....I like doing the threads just for fun anyhow. It's funny, last time at Summit I was driving through the main track paddock to grab some lunch and a random guy stopped me and was like "hey, I've been following your build on GRM..." which was pretty cool seeing as the trackday was full of $100k supercars, lol.

I hear you on the builds. The GT6 was less fun to do and much more frustrating and expensive and has never been as much fun to drive as I want it to be, honestly. Always some "issue" with it. Someday I'll get motivated to fix the other issues with it and/or do some upgrades to make it better :)

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                                Projected price for the m10 mounts? Im interested need new mounts anyways
                                Not sure, you'll have to ask Carlos. I'd guess somewhere around $100 give or take, since they use a lot more material than the M42 or M20 mounts.

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                                Ive got an m42 im parting out so if you need any parts shoot me a pm.
                                Will do, need to figure out what i need. Are you parting everything in the engine bay or just the engine itself?
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X