Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have u seen the m10 mounts from revshift?

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
      Have u seen the m10 mounts from revshift?
      yeah, I've seen them. The blue ones, right?
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

wasn't expecting any stuff to get here until Monday, but Pelican Parts as usual shipped faster than I was expecting....2 days from California (and I got free shipping). Soo......got all the gaskets and other random stuff I ordered for the M42. Still a few things on my list to get in the future, but wanted to get all the gaskets at the same time so I can put some things back on the engine to clear workbench space.

So put some stuff back on. The lower IM is only loosely bolted up, since I have to pull it off to put new injectors and the fuel rail back on once I get them, but it's off the bench so that's good.

I am, however, having a hell of a time getting 2 things off:

1. The water pump/pulley. It is either rusted on there or too tight for any tools I have here. The fan is already busted up, and after I couldn't get the fan bolt off, thought maybe I'd unbolt the pulley and just pull the water pump with the stuff still attached, and then use a vise. Got the water pump bolts off but the pump is stuck in there good and I can't get it to budge. Only 4 bolts holding it on, right?

2. The main crank bolt. I was hoping my uber-powerful SnapOn impact could bust it loose, but no dice. Guess I'll have to rig something up - but harder since the engine is on a stand, and it's only a tripod stand so I don't much like the idea of putting 400lb-ft of breaker bar/cheater pipe weight on it......so may put it on the ground and give it a go this weekend.
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Take the bolts you removed from the water pump and thread them into the threaded holes in the housing (not the holes where the bolts actually attach the pump to the block) turn them a bit at a time side to side and the pump will pop off. Just go slowly or you will crack the pump housing.

Comment

Thanks Pete, that made it easy, lol. This is the kind of thing that would be in the e36 Bentley, I'm guessing. And the M42 stuff isn't in the e30 Bentley I have, dammit. I totally missed those little screw holes when I looked before.

So related, once I got the pump out found that the impeller had part of it broken off, so it's a good thing I did it. Will be going with a metal impeller on the new one.

also it's pretty clear that water pump has been removed at least 2 or 3 times before....time will tell once i get the timing case open whether some of that stuff was replaced at some point.

Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

plastic impeller ftl

Comment

yup.

no idea where the piece of plastic is. will have to snake the cooling system in the block and see if it's in there....
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Took a break from my own stuff today to go out and check out an '87 325 that my buddies Jason and Pat (phenryvi on here) ended up buying for rallycross. That now makes BMWs now the second most-numerous marque running locally (behind subaru, of course).

Spencer & Stuart in the M42 318is
                  me in the M10 318i
                  Crowner/Nichols/Helgeson/et al in their ETA
                  Nick/Bobby/3rd driver in their e28 ETA
                  and now Pat and Jason.

so that's 12 BMW drivers running locally in the RWD classes (as well as 5-6 RX-7 drivers).

Here's the ride they picked up, which I'm sure Pat will do a build thread of his own for.

We met up with Pat there (since he's coming from WV) in a pair of WRXs :) In the background you can see the seller's 635csi, which was sweet.

Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Looks like a good start for a rally car!

•• Powersteering Deletes • M20 Motor & Trans Mounts • 24V swap mounts • UHMW Offset CABs ••
                    •• Rear Subframe Bushings • RTABs • Facebook ••

Comment

gotta get my motor going so i can be added to that list lol

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                        Took a break from my own stuff today to go out and check out an '87 325 that my buddies Jason and Pat (phenryvi on here) ended up buying for rallycross. That now makes BMWs now the second most-numerous marque running locally (behind subaru, of course).

Spencer & Stuart in the M42 318is
                        me in the M10 318i
                        Crowner/Nichols/Helgeson/et al in their ETA
                        Nick/Bobby/3rd driver in their e28 ETA
                        and now Pat and Jason.

so that's 12 BMW drivers running locally in the RWD classes (as well as 5-6 RX-7 drivers).

Here's the ride they picked up, which I'm sure Pat will do a build thread of his own for.

We met up with Pat there (since he's coming from WV) in a pair of WRXs :) In the background you can see the seller's 635csi, which was sweet.

I am BACK! After the '88 track build (which I later disassembled), this will be an interesting challenge.
                        Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Haven't done much on the car in a couple weeks other than some basic maintenance, cleaning, and checking things - also taken a break from the M42 while I figure out how to get the main crank pulley nut off. My old Snap-On impact couldn't do it, nor could a buddy's brand new uber-power one.....I may build a frame out of 6x6 lumber to stabilize the engine so I can put a monster breaker bar/cheater pipe on it - I don't feel comfortable putting 400+ ft/lb on it with the engine hanging on a smallish 750lb capacity tripod stand.

I did however get in a little box of parts from DJ Buttchug here on rev, which included a pair of very nice condition cam sprockets, a timing chain, a couple guide components in great shape, a bag full of fuel injectors, and an ECU (now I have three, guess I need to chip at least on of em!). So, moving along.

Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

just a few random photos I took today..

the fleet

helper

airborne

cleaned the garage
                            Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

The picture with the hammer reminds me of my son...
                              "Drew, take that hammer & hit your hand with it"
                              "Okay Dad!" :eeek:

Comment

Looking great! Love that shot of the roof and hood! Man I wish I had a garage like yours, well just a garage in general.

Keep up the great work.
                                Rallycross/SurfRat: An E30 Photo Journal of Sorts, Hawaii

Comment

Working...
                                X